Exhaust spitting oil @ me during break-in? Please help me I'm a Total newbie :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSweeney

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello there,
I've recently purchsed a 1/10 nitro buggy, I wont tell you the manufacturer for fear of discrimination LOL, but its got a .15CXP engine!!! You know what car I mean :(

Anyways The last time I touched an RC car was about 14 yeras ago and that was an even CHEAPER nikko electrtric jobby. Nitro cars are even more alien to me but I find them fascinating and I'm very keen to learn.

My 'problem' : I've just started running-in the engine, starting with heat-cycling as described in the "All Noobs Read This" thread.
I've got my HSN set at about 3-1/2 turns from fully closed. I've got the idle screw set so its just enough to keep it ticking over without cutting out.

the problem is that the exhaust is spitting a fair ammount of motor oil at me? Is this normal or have I got the mixture set at too rich??? is it another problem???

Do i have to adjust my LSN for breaking in? If so what should it be set to? Is the LSN the screw located in the centre of the throtle 'lever'. (the buggy's instructions are very vague on this).

Sorry if these seem like the usual ANNOYING noob questions using idiot laymans terms such as throttle lever lol
But I'd really appreciate some help on this before I continue Breaking-in or just breaking my new engine.
Feel free to point out any mistakes I'm already making and guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

TheSweeney.

Oh yeah.........I dont want any jokes about a scouser talking about a break-in! :boxing: :thumbsup:

Your definitely running rich especially if you see alot of smoke coming from the pipe when running...which is a good thing for the most part. If you have the Xtra cash you should get a temp gun, that way you could really dial in the performance without worrying about damaging the engine. Nitro RC's can get messy, its just the nature of the beast.

sLY

Yea the oil spitting is natural running rich at break in. You are fine, run a few tanks and do like Sly said and invest in a heat gun.

Once the motor is broke in a bit, lean it out and you will stop spitting oil :)

These guys are right. It i supposed to run rich.

Nitro carries with it it's own lubrication. The more fuel, the more lube. During break-in the piston is really tight in the cylinder. The extra fuel/lube keeps it from wearing too fast right of the bat.

I would for the sake of being able to start and run your motor (tune ability) leave the LSV right where it is. The LSV is VERY sensitive to tuning 1/8 a turn either way can make your engine not start, or over heat.

The LSV USUALLLY is in the center of the throttle arm. The HSV is usually on the to of the carb, afixed to the fuel inlet.

After you are done with the break in, if you haven't already, start to lean the HSV 1/16 to 1/8 at a time. Doing runs back and forth in between turns. Get a feel for how the motor reacts before you adjust it anymore.

AFter you get comfortable with the way it reacts "heat vs temp", like a few times out. then start to mess with the LSV. You may also do a search for "pinch test" should bea lot of info for you there.

Please do try to find the "factory settings" of your carb. If your having a beast of a time, and its just too rich, to lean or general not running well, you can go back to these setttings to have a good general starting point for a tune.

Good luck and welcome to RCNT!

Thanks for the help............BUT.......

Thanks a lot for your help fellas,
Its very much appreciated.

But now I got a much more worrying (well its worrying the crap outta me anyway) problem.

After I read the first reply here saying that the spitting oil was almost normal during running in, I went back outside and coontinued doing so.

I started the car up no problem and let it sit there for a couple of minutes and it seemed to be running alright. I then noticed that the fuel was running really low so i stopped the engine using the flywheel. I went for something to eat while it cooled down.

After eating, I filled the car and started it up, removed the glow starter give it a couple of tiny revs on the trigger and it revved up ok but when i let go of the trigger the engined shuddered to a halt as soon as the revs droppped. I went to restart it and the pullstart was a lot harder to pull. I assummed (from what i'd read in the last few days) that I'd flooded the engine because i'd been running it too rich. So I removed the glow plug and tipped the car upside down and started pulling at the pullstart. The pullstart was pulling very smoothly/freely with the plug removed.

I tested the plug before putting it back and tried to pull again, but its still very stiff. It will turn over but its so stiff I feel I'll be doing more harm than good by continuing to try and start it.

I've loosened the plug to the point where the pull is easy but it still wont start.

Can anyone help me on this?
I've had this car for only 1 day and something has gone wrong already. I'm feeling pretty poop at the moment so i would really appreciate ANY help.

Thanks.

TheSweeney.

Well, how does the glow plug look when you check it (check it again) those glow ignitors can loose their charge with no warning. it should be bright orange.

With a fully charged glow ignitor it will be easier to start. In my opinion your are rich as hell (hence the dying one you get it running). I also think your glow ignitor is not as hot as it was. Try charging your ignitor abit, then try starting again.

The hard to pull bit is the motor being flodded, thats all thieir is to it. If their is no way your going to get it started, try turning the HSV in 1/4 a turn, and try again (after you clear the fuel).

let us know how it turns out. If it pulls freely with the glow plug out, its definetaly flooded, not broken :D

Hey Sweeney while you are doing the run in you may just want to try using two glo plug washers on one glo plug until you get it run in. This might just make things a little easier.

I must add. Go to radio shack, if you can. Grab a $30 temp gun. You wont have to guess on rich/lean.

You wont have to guess hrmmm tighten or loosen, am I too hot? You just point the sucker at the plug. 300deg.. whooops too hot, richen it up a bit. It's bogging and you don't know why? Check temp its's 160 ahh ok lena it up a bit.

The temp guns is one of the most usfull tools, and takes soo much stress out of the learning how to tune. Defietaly worth it.

As I said before this can be really frusterating the first time out. I think as long as you keep asking questions, and err to the side of caution you'll be fine.

Excellent Idea newnitrofan, I didn't think about that.

Originally posted by lykan
If it pulls freely with the glow plug out, its definetaly flooded, not broken :D

:banana: :banana: :banana:

well thats DAMN GOOD TO HEAR.

As for the glowplug, its burning orange, but dowsnt seem quite as bright as it was. I'll charge the igniter up as well.

Thanks for replying I feel a whole lot better knowing that i'm not 100% screwed.

By the way, Am I using the best method to clear the fuel??? -Tip upside down and pull 20-30 times - is that right?

TIA

newnitrofan: that sounds like a good tip, Cheers m8.

TheSweeney

Actually, if your HSV is still open your pulling is just allowing more fuel into the cylinder.

The way I do it, is to turn the HSN in nice and snug (not too tight) then do what you do. Put the HSV back where it belongs, and start.

The way I would do it if I were you (no offense) is just to unplug the fuel line while you clear it, so no more fuel enters the cylinder. Plug fuel line back in, your good to go. Seriously try leaning the HSN a tad you'll probably have better results.

BTW be easy on the at pullstart, they are stout, but I tookout three braking in my first nitor

Thanks very much for getting back to me so quick lykan.

Your advice is very much appreciated, of course i'm not going to take offence.

I'm gonna take a break for an hour while I top up the glow ignitor. Then I'll get back to it.

Fingers crossed..........

Thanks agin m8.

TheSweeney.

I must add. Go to radio shack, if you can. Grab a $30 temp gun. You wont have to guess on rich/lean.

You wont have to guess hrmmm tighten or loosen, am I too hot? You just point the sucker at the plug. 300deg.. whooops too hot, richen it up a bit. It's bogging and you don't know why? Check temp its's 160 ahh ok lena it up a bit.

The temp guns is one of the most usfull tools, and takes soo much stress out of the learning how to tune. Defietaly worth it.

As I said before this can be really frusterating the first time out. I think as long as you keep asking questions, and err to the side of caution you'll be fine.

Excellent Idea newnitrofan, I didn't think about that.

I only just saw this post.

I think I will be getting myself one of those temp guns. Sounds like it'd help me out quite a bit.

And as for continuing to ask questions....You know I will

Cheers :cheers:

While your reading, and checken stuff out, along with a decent temp gun, I recomend you check this THREAD

Even tho I been playing with nitro a bit, the glow ignitor has been the cause of about 80% of my starting problems (till i got the brick!)

BTW your welcome, the fine guys on these boards did the same for me when I was new. I can at least return the favor eh?;)

While your reading, and checken stuff out, along with a decent temp gun, I recomend you check this THREAD

Even tho I been playing with nitro a bit, the glow ignitor has been the cause of about 80% of my starting problems (till i got the brick!)

BTW your welcome, the fine guys on these boards did the same for me when I was new. I can at least return the favor eh?;)

Man, that thing is a beast. and you said you paid under $6 for it? BARGAIN.

I'm off on my travels tomorrow to find a temp gun and to buy some spare plugs for after the run-in. While I'm out I'll try and pick one of those bad boys up (The starter i got now is of the El Cheapo Brand). Hobby supplies around here are scarce though, Trying to buy some blue thunder was like trying to find rocking horse poop. I'll take a look around though.

Thanks for ya help.

TheSweeney

ROFL yeah it was $5.99 for the brick :D it was I think 3 something for the ignitor tip.

Our LHS just bite. Ones a plastic "all show no go" shop with a decentnitor mechanic.

The other is a "used and abused" shop, the owners burnt out on helping people, butstocks good stuff. Finding anything usefull, and new is like you said.

Back