Exceed Mad Beast

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David H

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Once again, the Exceed brand shows its colors...or lack of.
The Mad Beast is a poor knock- off from the HPI Savage XL.
Please do not think you are getting a deal on a BIG 1/8th.
The quality of the materials is very poor, and you will most likely need to replace almost very part before you can even get it running.
Before you get one, ask someone that has one,,,,they will not recommend it.

The NitroRC web site is a mess and customer service tickets are no answered. At least my last six have not been. The customer service people do not know what the are doing.
Don't like to be negative, but this is the lowest quality on the market. At 100$ the Mad Beast would not be a good deal. At 300$ it is an absolute rip off. These are the people that give our hobby a bad name, shame on NitroRc for selling this crap...stick with HPI or Traxxas.

X2 on everything stated, unless its "hobby" grade RC, I dont look twice at it.

i have a madbeast and i beat the crap out of it never broke a part

I've said once and Ill say it again. Never buy anything but the trusted hobby grade brands.....Traxxas, HPI, Losi, Associated, Mugen, Kyosho, OFNA etc

+1, Wolf. You're usually asking for trouble going for the off brands because of poor quality and scarceness of parts.

Once again, the Exceed brand shows its colors...or lack of.
The Mad Beast is a poor knock- off from the HPI Savage XL.
Please do not think you are getting a deal on a BIG 1/8th.
The quality of the materials is very poor, and you will most likely need to replace almost very part before you can even get it running.
Before you get one, ask someone that has one,,,,they will not recommend it.

The NitroRC web site is a mess and customer service tickets are no answered. At least my last six have not been. The customer service people do not know what the are doing.
Don't like to be negative, but this is the lowest quality on the market. At 100$ the Mad Beast would not be a good deal. At 300$ it is an absolute rip off. These are the people that give our hobby a bad name, shame on NitroRc for selling this crap...stick with HPI or Traxxas.
+2 on everything said so far. There is a reason HPI, Traxxas, Losi, Associated, Ofna and company are the "leading" brands. They produce quality equipment and quality parts and they stand behind their product. They are always the way to go until they let enough of their consumers down and prove differently.

madbeast

i have madbeast for over a year now,I've been running ,bitting jumping it with my hpi savage ,i bought it in nitro rcx and its great...for 245$ worth of mons truck it pretty nice deal..need to upgrade steering servos though for an advice...to all rc beginners out there...i would advice this truck...:first_place::first_place::first_place:

i have madbeast for over a year now,I've been running ,bitting jumping it with my hpi savage ,i bought it in nitro rcx and its great...for 245$ worth of mons truck it pretty nice deal..need to upgrade steering servos though for an advice...to all rc beginners out there...i would advice this truck...:first_place::first_place::first_place:

^^Don't give bad advice like that to beginners!!!! This is not a hobby grade RC and NOT a good first purchase. Go to any RESPECTABLE forum, or website that sells RC's and see if they carry this brand, they are not made of quality parts and customer service in doesn't exist.

Towerhobbies is one of the biggest hobby suppliers around and you wont even find parts for exceed or any of those off brands on their site. No matter what anyone says good about off brand rc's, I say you get what you pay for.

I agree with the whole you get what you pay for, but stepping away from the brand that's being discussed here. I've noticed Redcat is being sold at amain now well just 1/5 scales and parts, and a lot of the mom and pop hobby shops up here in Canada are starting to carry them as well. Not just the 1/5 scales either but all scales. Does this mean Redcat is stepping up their quality?

i had a redcat backdraft that i bought used and was actually very happy with it then i sold it to a guy to do a electric conversion on

Yeah? I've heard the 1/5th scales are decent quality as well. I also see they have a 2wd dune buggy one now too, maybe I'll take a look.

Does this mean Redcat is stepping up their quality?

From what I've heard, their 1/5 scale quality has gone up some. The big thing is the lack of aftermarket support, the main reason people go after the Baja clones is the fact that they can get the aftermarket parts and not really notice the fact that it's a clone. This brings the whole "morals" debate into the conversation though, some can't stand the clones because they "steal" HPI's design. If you get the Red Cat 1/5 scales, you are limited to the Red Cat upgrades (as far as I know), and they are their own design (again, as far as I know).

I've actually seen on the FLM site that they have some CVD upgrades for the Redcat XB line, that's all I've seen though.

1/5th scale is a little too expensive for me right now, with being back in school. It's something I want to look into though. Maybe when I finish and become a murse (male nurse lol) I'll be making some good money. I really like the SC 5th scales, but the clones look funny to me the SC ones anyways. Other then looks I don't think my morals would stop me from buying a clone. If you think about it companies have been ripping off others for decades.

^^Don't give bad advice like that to beginners!!!! This is not a hobby grade RC and NOT a good first purchase. Go to any RESPECTABLE forum, or website that sells RC's and see if they carry this brand, they are not made of quality parts and customer service in doesn't exist.

I know what your saying about low grade rc trucks but I ve got 2 of these Mad Beast...run the crap out of them and haven't replaced anything but fuel. I bought both used from 2 different owners that said they couldn't get them running. I had no problem once I reset everything they screwed up on the carb....broke the motors in as stated in the manuals. They start on first try and run like a raped ape:hehe: By the way...the Savage XL body fits perfect on them if you reverse the body mounts and trim just a little for the motor heat sink.

My very first nitro was an Exceed Forza. I rebuilt the hell out of that thing...and it still would break if you looked at it wrong. Exceed/RedCat are good in that they offer a price-point for people to get in to the hobby....but the downside is that a vast majority throw them in the corner of the garage and give up--not fully realizing the sheer difference in quality that is available.

My only beef is that they tout how durable their cars are, and that is simply not the case.

Back