Estimated over a thousand

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
We took a drive to Baker City Oregon "beautiful country" and for a little while the highway runs along the Snake River. We saw over a thousand Snow Geese "I estimated".
The mountains are just South of Baker City and actually a big source of our water in my area.

IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG

They are thick! Whenever I go to Hagerman either for fishing or for dirt bike riding, I cross the snake to get on the Bell Rapids road and the amount of birds floating there is usually like this, just huge groups.

I haven't been to Hagerman in quite a while. A couple years actually. We try to make it a couple times a year to Shoshone Falls but haven't in a couple of years I think.

Hell, that is more than 1000 I bet. Lots more! Very cool.

Edit: using a method my science teacher taught me, just in the first pic I estimate around 2500 geese.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't even close to getting the full picture of them. They were still there on the way back to town but wasn't really a good place to pull over and get a pic of all of them.
I was lucky enough to get the pic of them in flight. It was amazing, we heard one loud honk and it was like, "time to go kids", they all flew up at once.

Its great to see Nature alive and well. I remember not seeing the over population of birds in the 80's ddt was the major killer.Just a bummer now hearing and seeing all the people dying of starvation and all this waterfowl in way over populated thru-out the world. we should be able to ethically harvest them at anytime except for nesting time and young raising. I ran a test with my kids in 90's to prove to them a family of 4 could live on a dollar a day for 2 weeks that's single dollar not x4 so it was a 14$ total...we have the same type of flocks of Canadian geese by me

That's a valid point @tntpoof and I agree, game birds would feed millions of people. We also have thousands of Canadian geese around here. Not to mention the number of ducks.
Hell, that is more than 1000 I bet. Lots more! Very cool.

Edit: using a method my science teacher taught me, just in the first pic I estimate around 2500 geese.
I have to agree and honestly there is probably way more than that because the flock stretched out at least 1/8 mile or more.

Last edited:
That's a valid point @tntpoof and I agree, game birds would feed millions of people. We also have thousands of Canadian geese around here. Not to mention the number of ducks.

I have to agree and honestly there is probably way more than that because the flock stretched out at least 1/8 mile or more.
I was just estimating what was in that pic. We had to do the exact same thing in science class one day. We estimated the number of birds in a flock of close to 10k. We divided the pic into little squares, and counted the birds in ten squares and averaged it out. The point of the little project was the teacher showed how almost everyone in the class got very similar results. With a more high resolution pic, I could get a lot closer. I guessed on a few white blobs how many birds were there lol.