Erratic Stampede HELP!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have a programming issue with your ESC. Kind of sounds like it's set for forward only, using the reverse trigger just for brake. Even if it is, there's a problem in the forward setting. Find the specs on your ESC and try reprogramming it before going for another radio.

Yeah I did that a few days ago but didn't do anything.

I with Rolex on this one, that esc needs to be reprogrammed and the xl-5 can be a pain to program! I have used the am radio for a long time with almost no problems...If you upgrade to brushless then you will need the 2.4 gear for sure.

First thing to do is unplug the motor, this makes things a lot easier. Make sure it's set to 50/50 and that your throttle trim know is exactly center....Those two things are a must! Now make sure you follow the directions to the letter because this esc is picky but once you get it right you will never worry about it again.

Make sure it's set to 50/50 and that your throttle trim know is exactly center...

The 50/50 setting is correct, but I'd advise you to turn the knob or slider all the way down. None of my helis will program or start if there's even one click of throttle trim.

The 50/50 setting is correct, but I'd advise you to turn the knob or slider all the way down. None of my helis will program or start if there's even one click of throttle trim.

This one is a little different, when it's turned right of center it adds forward throttle, left of center adds brake/reverse throttle, dead center is neutral.

yup and then there is the throttle settings for full throttle and full brake and nuetrul along with the full throttle/full brake setting on the esc..

What channel do you have the esc plugged into on the receiver?? When the esc is plugged into the wrong channel!!! it will act like crazy like that!!

i am having the same problem but my truck only does it when the 70 /30 switch is on.it does not do it when it is set to 50/50. if you are running the stock transmiter switch it to 50/50 see if it helps.

This one is a little different, when it's turned right of center it adds forward throttle, left of center adds brake/reverse throttle, dead center is neutral.
I'm aware of that but it would only be used for a nitro engine with a mechanical brake. This is all electric with an ESC.
Turn the trim knob all the way down, not to center.

It does work with an esc and this is a pistol grip tx, not a dual stick...it has to be centered

Last edited:
did you ever find out what was wrong?

Fescue101 yours is when you change from 70/30 to 50/50 or vice versa you need to reprogram the esc as it has different neutral points.
You'll notice when moving the switch also moves the trigger.

your esc is fried as that happend to mine this morning and i took it to the store and replaced it as the guy said

Maybe if you hit it with a hammer, or a bullet, or sometimes your car. but only in emergencies!

It could be that the ESC needs to be reprogramed or the throtle trim is needing adjustment.

your esc is fried as that happend to mine this morning and i took it to the store and replaced it as the guy said

Back