engine shuts off...what to do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R/CAdrenalineRush

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
on my xxx-nt, my engine will shut off after it get really warmed up. i dont know what to do...then it will ONLY crank after it has cooled off again.

i think its the needle valve (i messed with it) but i dont know how to set it. my hobby shop is closed on sunday so i can't get their help.

someone told me that if my truck blows blue smoke out of the exaust, it means its running good...but i dont think so...

what can i do to get the needle set right again?

but after the needle is set, it will still shut off after a ½ of tank of gas is gone.

please help...any would be great.

It seems that it's overheating. Do you have a temperature gauge?
Start it and just let it idle. Keep checking the temp at idle till it doesn't rise any more. It shouldn't go over 220 at the most. If it gets hotter than that, you need to richen the LSN and most likely reset the idle.
If it doesn't overheat at idle, then it's the HSN that's too lean, and you overheat it while running WOT.

i can't get a temperature guage till this weekend but i was wondering if there was another way to check the temp. till i get one...

oh yea...when you say LSN...do you mean the screw that has a spring on it???

plus i dont get a chance to get to WOT b/c i just drive it in my backyard since its not running good...(i dont feel like walking a mile to go get it after it shuts off!!!)

thanks 4 the help...

Last edited:
The screw with the spring is the idle screw. The low speed needle is the one inside the armature where the ball cup thing pops on.. on the end of the slide part of the carb. You can do the water drop test, but i can't really explain it... have to wait for someone to get back to you on that one.

drop a drop of water onto the head. if the water sizzles off right away, it's too hot. i think it should take 5 or 10 seconds to evaporate off.

OK, you didn't say which engine you have. Most engines will run in the 190-270F range, good race engines about 230F (on a track racing), but a few engines run way over 270F.

Secondly, if you're running in small spaces, and the car isn't getting up to any real speed, it will overheat very quickly. Generaly bashing raises temps above and beyond that experienced when racing (as when racing, you only use full throttle sparingly).

Anyway, try this.

Get the manual for your engine (so you can identify the needles). Set the LSN (low speed needle) to factory settings (you can leave it like this until you get more familiar with tuning your engine). Unscrew your HSN (high speed needle) a full turn. Run your car, and lean the HSN (screw in) 1/8th turn at a time until your car runs sweet at full throttle. Back the screw out 1/8th turn.

i have the mach 15...i dont have the manual (i bought the truck used but in perfect condish) anyway...does anyone have the factory settings for the needle that doesn't control the idle...b/c i can set the i dle w/o a problem.

all i need is the factory settings and ill be a okay...

thanks!

Back