RC Street Legal Dragway

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Busying myself running off Serie One of my version of Perris, CA's 330ft Street Legal Dragway. My version is 1/16mi 1/10 scale 33ft no-prep concrete out front of the house with 67ft shut-down. Yeah, the RC drag racing bug has bit again-after 12 years.

Differs from the accepted RC no-prep in that slicks are disallowed and no tire saucing. Treaded rubber tires only. That's what gets it put here instead of no-prep.

Running off three entirely different packages in Serie One. Senton 2WD, MT10 4WD and Rustler 2WD. None of them drag specific. Only thing common to all three is use of the same base battery power. 2S x5300 60C LiPo.

MT10 coming out on top with Trencher tires putting power to the ground best of the three. Senton with Demolisher MT's tires unable to get a grip and Rustler's Street Fighter Tires hooking up well but guessing the gearing WAY wrong and under geared. Could only pull 75% THR set. Other two ran full 90% THR set.

Still fleshing out the rules package which includes a rolling "Alleman Start" coming off a J-turn at staging. Breaking inertia with a short staging run before the start sort-of makes up for the short distance run. Having a J-turn keeps me honest by not building any appreciable speed in staging-only breaking at-rest inertia.

GNNS recorded speed of 46.67Kph converts to 28.9mph in 33ft for the MT10 getting a "Wally" for Serie One. Great Fun (again!). Cheers. 'AC'

20230830_081916_forum resize.jpg

20230830_081708_forum resize.jpg

Last edited:
Busying myself running off Serie One of my version of Perris, CA's 330ft Street Legal Dragway. My version is 1/16mi 1/10 scale 33ft no-prep concrete out front of the house with 67ft shut-down. Yeah, the RC drag racing bug has bit again-after 12 years.

Differs from the accepted RC no-prep in that slicks are disallowed and no tire saucing. Treaded rubber tires only. That's what gets it put here instead of no-prep.

Running off three entirely different packages in Serie One. Senton 2WD, MT10 4WD and Rustler 2WD. None of them drag specific. Only thing common to all three is use of the same base battery power. 2S x5300 60C LiPo.

MT10 coming out on top with Trencher tires putting power to the ground best of the three. Senton with Demolisher MT's tires unable to get a grip and Rustler's Street Fighter Tires hooking up well but guessing the gearing WAY wrong and under geared. Could only pull 75% THR set. Other two ran full 90% THR set.

Still fleshing out the rules package which includes a rolling "Alleman Start" coming off a J-turn at staging. Breaking inertia with a short staging run before the start sort-of makes up for the short distance run. Having a J-turn keeps me honest by not building any appreciable speed in staging-only breaking at-rest inertia.

GNNS recorded speed of 46.67Kph converts to 28.9mph in 33ft for the MT10 getting a "Wally" for Serie One. Great Fun (again!). Cheers. 'AC'

View attachment 170845

View attachment 170846
Nicely done sir. It's all about haven fun..

Yeah, it is 9x 19. Thanks. Like any other RC discipline, have to adapt to it and tune to it.

Already planning to swap out the tire set on the Senton and drop a tooth on the pinion.

Rustler, my speed runner, has a pinion on order to tame the wheelspin and will get a RR spring and shock oil change.

MT10 no changes until it gets bested. Hopefully Serie Two with the other two platforms gunning for it. :)

May do a lane change. Left lane is my preference, but shut-down has a rough spot that snags the FR air dam on the Rustler. Or remove the air dam? Then again, changing up lanes may be a fun thing to do.

Thanks for looking in guys and the favorable comments. Cheers. 'AC'

Got a Bracket Eliminator winner today on the 33ft Street Legal Dragway. Running a 3 Car Ladder, Rustler-based R43X comes out on top. My speed runner adapting itself to RC drag racing. 56.5kph converts to 35.1mph in 33ft Final. Re-gearing from the prelim round did the deed besting the MT10X's bye run 28.9mph.

Image shows how short the track is. Foreground cones is staging. From staging full stop entrant does a J-turn for rolling start of the coned seam on the street. Darned near ran out of shut down in final two 90% THR runs.

Over braking became an issue on the final runs. Did a test session following the eliminations to resolve the issue. ESC does not allow for drag brake adjust, so perused the 4PLS manual and activated the A.B.S. (Automatic Braking System) function to keep the rear end from coming around on shut down braking. If nothing else, A.B.S. sounds cool. Puts me in mind of the pod racer sound in Star Wars.

Had forgotten how much fun RC drag racing is. Cheers. 'AC'

20231010_105848_Forum Resize.jpg

20231010_105119_Forum Resize.jpg

20231010_103218_Forum Resize.jpg

Ah, the ole over-brake (break) on the shut down :D I've had more than a few mishaps on 132 ft runs, and some catastrophic. I generally now set my brakes very, very lightly and let the car slowly come to a stop (and/or deploy the chute).

Ah, the ole over-brake (break) on the shut down :D I've had more than a few mishaps on 132 ft runs, and some catastrophic. I generally now set my brakes very, very lightly and let the car slowly come to a stop (and/or deploy the chute).
Ha. Yeah, buddy on the over brake. Almost collected not one but two curbing on shutdown. Actually surprised at the speed the R43X accelerated to so quickly. May have to migrate the 33ft course to my speed running course until I collect data for break-out speed(s). Am already running the 66ft (scale 1/8 mile) series there.

Beginning to think specing shutdown at twice the run length is necessary. E.g., 66ft shutdown for 33ft course; 132ft shutdown for 66ft course. Will try that next time out to off-site course.

My rules package now states 3 power settings for an event: 50% THR for two calibration runs; 75% THR for two tuning runs; 90% THR for two scoring runs. All cars run the same sequence and same battery. Can see that is going to be hard to hold to out front of the house where shut down is tight. Reason for holding to a fixed 90% THR is to over time establish a "break-out" speed table to make the competition even tighter between cars. Then I can change to rules package to 90% THR max with settings between 75-90% THR running up to break out speed. Then it gets real fun.

A work in progress as the saying goes. Thanks for looking in guys. Cheers. 'AC'

Took the legacy Rustler out for recorded runs on the off-site 66ft scale 1/8mi strip today. No drama. No trauma runs. Speeds low which is what I wanted as busy working out the run sequence. The two 90% THR final runs came within 0.1mph of each other. Great for building data for the dial-in spreadsheet.

Actually did not plan on using this truck as it adds a fourth truck to the three car ladder. But thinking it is ideal for a visitor that wants to try RC drag racing without the intimidation of blinding acceleration and light-speed runs. So in the mix she goes.

Cheers. 'AC'

20231015_131331_forum resize.jpg

20231015_133453_forum resize.jpg

20231015_133032_forum resize.jpg

Ran off the MT10X in 66ft semi-finals last Saturday.

Had to relocate the run site. Cones mark the distance on the curb lane so as not impede any traffic on the road. Actual run surface is the lane nearest the center stripe.

MT10X pulled a two run average at 33.02mph GNSS. Off pace for some unknown reason. Probably a gearing issue as I did not re-gear from an earlier 33ft event.

For the finals, it will run off against my 106R Rustler that came in at 15.45mph two run average at 66ft.

The delta between the two means that the MT10x will need to put down a best run of +17.57mph or better on the Rustler for the "W".

20231021_124330_forum resize.jpg

20231021_125105_forum resize.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

Have you thought about Sidewalk chalk? It's non-permanent and inexpensive.
Thanks. The image is taken from the shut-down area looking north back toward an expansion seam serving as the start line. Had to have the sun at my back to get a picture. The curb/parking lane serves as return road and coned 2ft staging area prior to making a U-turn for the traffic lane rolling start.

Actually have a bucket of sidewalk chalk going unused in the shop. What are your ideas for how and where I might put it to use? 'AC'

I thought you were using the cones to mark start/finish.

I was thinking the chalk on the running lane wouldn't be any impediment to 1:1 traffic, and actually be on the running lane instead of off to the side.

Kicked off November with the 1st drag race in the second of the 33ft series yesterday. Bye run for the TRX Rustler advances it out of round 1 on the 3 car ladder into the finals. Put down a series of six GNSS Speed Meter runs. Averaged the six runs to establish a dial-in speed for the finals.

Limiting series events out front of the house to 75% THR. Not enough room for shutdown at 90% THR for the fast trucks in the series. Speeds are down but does not take away from the fun factor.

Road dust pick-up on the P-L slicks is showing just the footprint I was hoping for. 27T closed end-bell stock brush motor does not need a wide footprint. Crown on the P-L Primes works to tracks advantage in this application.

Geared 22/84//3.82. Too much spur forces a larger steel pinion. Going to re-gear 20/78//3.90. Slightly lower ratio will allow a smaller Aluminum pinion. Should help the 27T brush motor spool up quicker.

Fell back on the old drag racing body. I like it for this series. JConcepts drag tires and coil wheels up front.

Thanks for looking in. Cheers. 'AC'

20231101_142520_forum resize.jpg

20231101_133914_forum resize.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I'd like to do some testing myself, but Old Man Winter is making an early visit.

Nice! I'd like to do some testing myself, but Old Man Winter is making an early visit.
I hear ya. Seasons are flipped down here in Houston. Hunker down inside Jun-Sep. Test and run Oct - May.

Have a steel gear diff and HD drive shafts on order for the Rusty. Along with a steel gear idler in the basher stash. Overkill maybe. But better to have them in and not need 'em. Rather than not have them in and need them. Cheers, mates. 'AC'

20231101_142511_forum resize.jpg

Sunday last ran the MT10X for its round of the latest 33ft drag series. Six passes to establish a mph 'dial-in' should it progress to the finals. 27.11mph fastest pass. 22.26mph slowest pass (misjudged the finish line and lifted early). Dial-in speed average 25.38mph for future rounds.

Decided to implement a turn-around time in the run schedule. NHRA allows for a 75min turn-around in its Pro ranks. That works out to 7.5min in 1/10 scale. Future rounds and events will have that 7min:30sec turnaround to allow for checks and sets. Make for more realistic events.

MT10X carried the front wheels off the line at every launch - couple of times pretty drastically. Had to roll back the THR to 84% to keep the wheelies mild. I like the gearing where it is. May have to add nose weight. For now, back at the shop after the event, reset the ESC punch from Level 4 back to Level 3. Try that setting if the MT10X makes the finals.

Next up the Senton 2s 2WD makes its Round 1 passes.

20231105_123427_forum resize.jpg

20231105_125214_forum resize.jpg

20231105_124857_forum resize.jpg

Back