Losi shuts off at about 100'

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldRush

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Losi 22s drag car that lately is shutting down about 100' into a run. You can hear the motor shutoff and see it in my GNSS. It powers back up after about .5 seconds and the brake will apply and I can drive it back to me. This is an intermittent problem although seems like it's getting about 50% of the time now. When it doesn't shut off, it's pretty consistent at 2.59 - 2.65 with stock electronics.

The same thing is happening to another racer I know so it's not just my car. Anybody else have it happening and did you find a fix?

Thanks

Have you checked motor and esc temp?
Motor, ESC and slipper are cool to the touch before a run and still cool when the car gets back. Running a Gens Ace 6100 mah, 2s2p, 130c battery. Stock electronics, 76 spur / 23 pinion. Also does it with 84 spur / 24 pinion.

Could the ESC not take the current draw and be shutting down?

Go through your ESC and see what the settings are. Strange that it is happening now if it didn't before though. It could be the ESC is going into LVC. It could be the battery is getting voltage sag. Maybe a loose connection is heating up somewhere, increasing the resistance. Best thing to do would be to try and see if the LED on the ESC is flashing to tell you what it's doing. Maybe run it on the bench until it does it. If you can get a flash code from the ESC you can diagnose it.

I have a Losi 22s drag car that lately is shutting down about 100' into a run. You can hear the motor shutoff and see it in my GNSS. It powers back up after about .5 seconds and the brake will apply and I can drive it back to me. This is an intermittent problem although seems like it's getting about 50% of the time now. When it doesn't shut off, it's pretty consistent at 2.59 - 2.65 with stock electronics.

The same thing is happening to another racer I know so it's not just my car. Anybody else have it happening and did you find a fix?

Thanks
Same thing has started happening to my 68 f100 22s. I've been thinking it was my battery's, charger, wasn't sure. Battery straight off charger, 2s, 3s, didn't matter, would cut power at about 100' and could drive back at about 25% power, like battery was dead. Today, I learned that turning car off and back on will reset, and, only happens if I nail full throttle off line and never lift, if I feather it at all, it stays good. Also noticing a hesitation off line like it's launching soft and kicking in at about 3-6 ft. All stock except tires, shocks and towers and body. And I've made no adjustments to speed control since l unboxed it.

Same thing has started happening to my 68 f100 22s. I've been thinking it was my battery's, charger, wasn't sure. Battery straight off charger, 2s, 3s, didn't matter, would cut power at about 100' and could drive back at about 25% power, like battery was dead. Today, I learned that turning car off and back on will reset, and, only happens if I nail full throttle off line and never lift, if I feather it at all, it stays good. Also noticing a hesitation off line like it's launching soft and kicking in at about 3-6 ft. All stock except tires, shocks and towers and body. And I've made no adjustments to speed control since l unboxed it.
My problem is slightly different than yours. My car works great until it shuts off. I let off the throttle and hit the brakes (set at 25%) and it slows down properly and will act normally after. It seems that it resets itself within a second of shutting itself off and will run normally again. I have not tried it with a 3s battery. When I use an 84 spur with 23 or smaller pinion it doesn't shut itself off.

Have you guys contacted HH about your problems? I’d imagine they are still under warranty if it’s still stock electronics.
What you guys are describing sounds like some kind of amp limiting or low voltage cutoff. Idk but something definitely isn’t right with the esc imo. 🤷‍♂️

My problem is slightly different than yours. My car works great until it shuts off. I let off the throttle and hit the brakes (set at 25%) and it slows down properly and will act normally after. It seems that it resets itself within a second of shutting itself off and will run normally again. I have not tried it with a 3s battery. When I use an 84 spur with 23 or smaller pinion it doesn't shut itself off.
Hadn't thought about it till you said something, but I did change my pinion from stock 16, I think, to a 22. That's seams to be when it started. Maybe today I'll try putting old pinion back in and see if it still does it.

Back