emissivity settings on temp guage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksrichard

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I bought a DuraTrax flashpoint temp guage. When checking engine temps on a trx 2.5 should the settings be the same as 2.5r. Which is anodized. I'm measuring at the glow
Plug. Confusing!!. Right now I'm set at 95E. Does anyone kno what settings i should use.

Your help would be appreciated..

What is 95E? I dont even know what you are reffering to there sorry. As to your general question no two motors are alike. I wouldnt expect a nitro engine to have the same temp with the same tune the day after you took the temp the first time. The only thing Temps are good for is to make sure you are running hot enough but not to hot. Somewhere in the 220F-280F range. Temps are guides...nothing more and your temps will change day to day. Some days the change might not be big enough to have you tweak your tune some days they might be.

I hope I understood your question right. Actually now that I reread it I'm not 100% sure I did. Your wording is confusing.

Sorry. I understand normal running temps but if the (E) Emissivity is not set correctly i may not
get a true reading. Let me try to explain. Emissivity is the way an object emits heat energy into the air.
Sandblasted alu, most engines the gauge is set to 21E.
Anodized (colored or powder coat) gauge is set to 77E.
Battery packs w-w/o cover gauge is set to 95E.
Noncontact ir gauges should not be used on shiny materials.
Since I'm measuring the glow plug (kind of shiny) i was wondering
What the settings should be. Hope that clears things up a little. Thanks!

The 95E setting is the default setting(the fixed setting on most cheaper ones) on most IR temp guns.

I would not worry too much about it, I move mine around till I get the highest reading & use that.

I do not believe your gonna get enough variance in RC use to worry about it.

Mines supposed to be accurate to +/- 4°, that's close enough for me.

Last edited:
That e rating is so you can calibrate the temp gun. Different colors and finishes will radiate heat differently so you must calibrate the gun in order to get the most accurate readings.

Back