ECX Torment project impressions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Two disclaimers here. One, the ECX Torment i have is not RTR. I bought a new slider from eBay, and am going to build it the way i want ( i will be posting an ongoing build thread at some point). Two, before i started changing parts on it, i decided to run it exactly the way it came, which is absolutely stock, except for electronics. Before i ran it, i went through and redid the shocks (30WT AE oil in the front, 40WT AE oil in the rear), but, either i used way too light weight oil, or the springs are way too soft, since it bottoms out going from dirt to gravel, which, the difference in height between the two is about 2 inches. I also checked all the screws, and set the slipper properly, as well as greased the diff. For electronics, i used a WP 10BL60 RTR ESC, and 3652 3270KV motor i had laying around. The servo is a metal geared 20KG i picked up cheap from eBay.

First thoughts, the stock shocks suck, even after redoing them. After running it for a few minutes, i also noticed it is leaning to the left a bit, even though the shocks dont look like they leaked at all. The next step shock wise, i am going to throw a set of aluminum bodied, threaded shocks (not big bore though) that i picked up awhile back on it, and see if that helps. I kept reading about sloppy steering with these trucks, but, i didnt notice it in this one. It does have a tendency to pull to the left a bit on full acceleration, which i have to still figure out. I am using an 87T spur, and 19T pinion, and its a bit slow with the motor i am using. I also need to change a couple settings on the ESC (brake strength, since it locks up the tires, and punch, since i currently have it set a bit soft). The current tires are Pro-Line Trenchers on the rear, and cheap eBay SCT tires and wheels on the front. So far, i have only ran it in a field, some dirt, and some gravel to test it on its first battery. Next, I'm going to be torture testing it at a local skate park.

I originally did this to replace a truck i have that is discontinued and nothing is available for, and then, due to my gf's "nagging" if you will, i am going to eventually pick up a brushed Slash chassis, set it up exactly the same as the ECX is, and see which one i like better.

My planned future upgrades for this are:
Shocks-Big Bore threaded aluminum
Tires-either Pro-Line Badlands or Duratrax (havent decided which ones yet)
Motor-3650 3500KV
Steering- at some point i will be putting the RPM bellcrank in it, just to see if it makes any bit of difference
Anything i do break, i will be replacing with RPM parts, since they are supposedly more durable, and not much more cost wise ( i have never bought any aftermarket parts, so I'm going by what others have said)

If anyone has any other suggestions for it, let me know.

As far as RPM stuff, on some RC's I have used their arms. But sometimes, depending on their designs, the arms will bow downwards from the shock pressure on them over time. So they are sometimes too soft for me. Soaking stock arms in WD40 is usually enough to soften arms a bit and keep them from breaking longer.

Soaking stock arms in WD40 is usually enough to soften arms a bit and keep them from breaking longer
I agree and do this my self. But keep in mind you should use the silacine based WD-40. Don't just use the regular type of WD-40. The regular WD will leave a oily coat on the plastic. While the silacine base will soak in better and not leave a film on the plastic.. 👍👍
I also let them soak for 24 - 48 hrs. Then take out wipe off any excess that might still be present. And let dry for a hr or so before installing and running... 👍👍

Back