Emaxx brushless, running Lipos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadfingers

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
When I got the new Emaxx the guy at the hobby shop said, I should run lipos for better perfomance and speed and suggested Venom 5000 20c, which I also bought. He did not mention the batteries are to thick to fit with the standard lock down straps. He also failed mention that I would need to install a lvc, to protect the batteries, so I just wondered what else he may have failed tell me about, before running the lipos. Do you guys use a lvc? Is there anything else I need to upgrade before running the lipos? Just don't what to damage anything......Thanks!

Oh yeah, if the rig doesn't have a LVC you will ruin many packs. I would go back to your LHS and bitch him out for what he failed to mention to you.

Sounds like a hobby shop company just out to make a buck...

Wait a minute!

It says brushless right in the title.

First things first. Does it have the mamba monster? I'm sure it does, so take the batteries back! 20c is not enough, you're looking for 25c @5000mah MINIMUM! More C would be better. Are the batteries 2s or 3s?

They should also fit the battery compartments no problem, read the manual. I can't remember now, but there's either a different set of lockdowns in the box or just flip them over.
If it is the mamba monster then don't worry about the LVC, it's good to go.....however it is a good idea to get the castle link for your computer.

Do you have a good balance charger?

You should have no problems fitting 2s lipos in the battery trays. I'm running the same packs in mine.

It's a brushless and does have the Mamba Monster. I think I can figure out something with the straps. He also sold me a Verom Pro charger, along with the Venom 5000 20c batteries. The H S is 70 miles round trip, so I just wanted to get what I needed, while I was there and would have gotten the LVC if I had known I needed it. I have already charged the batteries, but not run them yet. I am still confused, do I need a LVC with the Mamba?

I'm disappointed with the service and lack of knowledge at the HS. The most important part of sales, is knowing your product and I hate to have to make the drive again, if I don't have to.

Thanks again for the input guys

Last edited:
You will need to get higher C battery pack as mentioned above. Castle Recommends at least 25c or better. I also understand your feelings about travel to a hobby shop. Mine is about 50 miles each way.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Agreed....you need at least a 25C but personally Id shoot for 30C or higher just to be on the safe side. make sure they are 5000mah. I dont own an Emaxx so you will have to consult your manual for the max size battery your trays will hold.

As for the LVC your Mamba ESC has a LVC setting built into it. You need to read the manual on how to program your ESC and as someone else mentioned previously Id look into getting either the Castle Link or the Castle Link field card for hooking your ESC up to your computer which gives you much more control over the programablity of your ESC which on a Mamba is considerable amount of extra control.

phone up the store when its open and tell them that
1) you've bought a brushless emaxx from them, not cheap these
2) i've been sold lipos that not could of, but would of, damaged my esc.
3) you want to make a swap for swap with at least a 5000 30C lipos
4)you have to travel 70mile to shop at this store and you want some sort of freebie like a gift voucher to make sure you shop here again, as the internet is everyones local hobby store.

Thanks again for the help guys!

trax de max, I plan to give them a call tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.

I went back by the LHS, the folks were very nice, traded the lipo 20's for 35's ....got a discount on the upgrade and they programed the on board lvc for the 35's.n/c.There was a set of straps for the larger batteries that came with the emaxx that I had over looked when I unboxed it. my mistake! I got everything charged up and made my first run with it today,BIG difference in the performance, I can hardly keep the wheels on the ground. With all the extra power do I need to upgrade any of the gearing?

You shouldn't have to upgrade the gears, its is designed to take the brushless power. Just make sure your slipper clutch is not tight so its can give a little on hard take offs and landings, this will help the whole drive train out. BTW are your running 2 or 3 cell lipos.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using Tapatalk

Thanks abadk....I am running the 3 cell, Venom 5000 35c.

cool you got it sorted out.
How i look at lipos is,
When using nimhs it has some change of breaking stuff, running 3S it has three times as much chance of breaking stuff, running 6s it has six times as much chance of breaking stuff.

Or you could see it as running 3s you have three times the ammount of fun and 6s six times the ammount of fun.

Back