ECX Torment/Ruckus 3S questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My neighbor asked me this, and i have no clue, since i have never even seen an ECX in person, let alone messed with one. Basically, i am trying to find out what needs to be done to run a Torment or Ruckus on 3S. Will it hold up on that much power? I know it has plastic axles, so, would they need to be replaced, or will they work? Will loosening the slipper be enough, or does it need to be upgraded? I know the diff needs to be upgraded to the metal one, at least, that is what my research a year or so ago said. What else would need to be done to it? His plan is to use the same 3S electronics my Losi 22S has (Dynamite Fuze ESC and 3300KV Dynamite motor), or something similar. I told him just look for a 22S that is already brushless, then found out they are discontinued, which surprised me.

My neighbor asked me this, and i have no clue, since i have never even seen an ECX in person, let alone messed with one. Basically, i am trying to find out what needs to be done to run a Torment or Ruckus on 3S. Will it hold up on that much power? I know it has plastic axles, so, would they need to be replaced, or will they work? Will loosening the slipper be enough, or does it need to be upgraded? I know the diff needs to be upgraded to the metal one, at least, that is what my research a year or so ago said. What else would need to be done to it? His plan is to use the same 3S electronics my Losi 22S has (Dynamite Fuze ESC and 3300KV Dynamite motor), or something similar. I told him just look for a 22S that is already brushless, then found out they are discontinued, which surprised me.

You will want the metal Tranny gears, Rpm a arms, Hot Racing front and rear hubs, Hot Racing front caster blocks, MIP X-Duty cvds for the rear of the Slash 4x4, Hot Racing spur and Robinson Racing hardened steel pinion.

You will want the metal Tranny gears, Rpm a arms, Hot Racing front and rear hubs, Hot Racing front caster blocks, MIP X-Duty cvds for the rear of the Slash 4x4, Hot Racing spur and Robinson Racing hardened steel pinion.
Is it an ECX or a Traxxas? Are the hubs and A-arms that weak? The stock axles wont hold up to 3S? It almost sounds like it would actually end up cheaper in the long run to buy something better, if it needs that much work. I can understand the metal diff, but the rest makes no sense to me.

Is it an ECX or a Traxxas? Are the hubs and A-arms that weak? The stock axles wont hold up to 3S? It almost sounds like it would actually end up cheaper in the long run to buy something better, if it needs that much work. I can understand the metal diff, but the rest makes no sense to me.

Ecx. The front shoulder screws like to pull out of the front hubs or hubs can break. The Rpm arms are just designed better than the stock ones and hold up better. The stock axles barley hold up to 2s.

It's a beginner rc in stock brushed form I dare you to break anything, once you go brushless and start getting speed is when you start to break things.

Ecx. The front shoulder screws like to pull out of the front hubs or hubs can break. The Rpm arms are just designed better than the stock ones and hold up better. The stock axles barley hold up to 2s.

It's a beginner rc in stock brushed form I dare you to break anything, once you go brushless and start getting speed is when you start to break things.
It's a good thing i never did get one then. I was considering a roller chassis for when i can no longer find a way to keep my Fury running, but, if they need that many aftermarket parts, it isnt worth it to me to bother. My other plan for the Fury was just get a used Losi 22S, or at least get the parts from that for it, but now the 22S is discontinued, so I'm not sure i want to sped money on parts that may not be available in 6 months if something breaks. Anyone know of another SCT that still uses dogbones or CVA's/CVD's? I need something that i can get the parts from that uses an 83-85MM long shaft.

I told him what you said, and now he is hunting down part numbers. Better him than me.

It's a good thing i never did get one then. I was considering a roller chassis for when i can no longer find a way to keep my Fury running, but, if they need that many aftermarket parts, it isnt worth it to me to bother. My other plan for the Fury was just get a used Losi 22S, or at least get the parts from that for it, but now the 22S is discontinued, so I'm not sure i want to sped money on parts that may not be available in 6 months if something breaks. Anyone know of another SCT that still uses dogbones or CVA's/CVD's? I need something that i can get the parts from that uses an 83-85MM long shaft.

I told him what you said, and now he is hunting down part numbers. Better him than me.
If it matters any this is what I have done to my Ruckus 2wd.
Rpm front a arms. I am still on the 5 year old stock arms in the rear, best bet is to cut out the area below the rear driveshaft so rocks don't get stuck in it, the rear Rpm arms don't have this.
Hot Racing c hubs and steering blocks in front.
Rpm servo saver eliminator. < I forgot to mention this above the stock servo saver is rather weak, cheapest fix is to just put a zip tie on it.
Metal tranny gears.
Traxxas Hoss rear driveshafts - not a direct fit and some modding is required.
Changed out all of the Phillips head screws for hex.
Team Associated 32p spur.
Traxxas 11t pinion.
Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s power system.

My Torment 2wd is still stock minus the Traxxas 12T motor and I replaced all the Phillips screws with hex.

If it matters any this is what I have done to my Ruckus 2wd.
Rpm front a arms. I am still on the 5 year old stock arms in the rear, best bet is to cut out the area below the rear driveshaft so rocks don't get stuck in it, the rear Rpm arms don't have this.
Hot Racing c hubs and steering blocks in front.
Rpm servo saver eliminator. < I forgot to mention this above the stock servo saver is rather weak, cheapest fix is to just put a zip tie on it.
Metal tranny gears.
Traxxas Hoss rear driveshafts - not a direct fit and some modding is required.
Changed out all of the Phillips head screws for hex.
Team Associated 32p spur.
Traxxas 11t pinion.
Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s power system.

My Torment 2wd is still stock minus the Traxxas 12T motor and I replaced all the Phillips screws with hex.
I have heard about this, as well as a few other things, like shielded bearing kit, and, my first thought after reading this, and my posts on a couple other sites, if this was for me, i would just find an already upgraded Slash used on Ebay. It would be cheaper, and the work would already be done. I showed him though, and, since he likes working on them, he is looking into it. All i have to say is, better him than me.