ebay needs new rules cazz I'm getting tired of this

• Thread starter TAKE/it/TO/the/MAXX
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAKE/it/TO/the/MAXX

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm getting tired of this

in the past few weeks I've been looking for a cheap nitro truck to mess around with and I've been searching ebay

well out of about 20 I've put on my watchlist like 15 of them the seller ended early within the last 24 hours saying it was no longer for sale

its just a bunch of pussys who dont like the amount of $$$ its selling for and take it off

i think they just need to use a reserve price

or ebay should make it to where sellers can't end a auction within the last 24 hours

The reason they don't use a reserve price because it costs extra money. That is my best guess.

The seller might have completed the sale with someone else who wasn't the top bidder. I have did that before as both the buyer and seller.

Sale or no sale it eBay is going to charge the seller for posting the auction.

Sorry mcvickj but I agree with TTTM. If you put it up for auction without a reserve you should still be required to sell the item even if you are not getting quite what you wanted. Ebay will get their listing fee but not a final value fee if you sell the truck to any bidder, or anyone period, without actually completeing the auction. I dont like to see ebay get any more than they already do, but I do feel it is wrong to do this to perspective buyers. Put it up with a reserve and pay the extra buck, or be a man about it and take whatever you get fairly. If you have ever been to a real auction, if there is no reserve the item WILL be sold to the highest bidder, this is the way it should be on ebay as well.

Oh I agree completely with if you put it up with no reserve you get what you get. What I meant with

"The seller might have completed the sale with someone else who wasn't the top bidder. I have did that before as both the buyer and seller."

is that I will on occasion I will e-mail the seller and send him an offer. Usually I will do that only if the item doesn't already have a bidder established. I guess this is kind of a grey area. I have never ending an auction early for not meeting X number of dollars.

If there is already a bidder I will just duke it out with him. That is half the fun of bidding. I'm one of those guys who mashes the F5 button every second when an auction is almost over. ;)

By doing what you are doing you also have no recourse if you get screwed, ebay wont help ya after you beat them out of their commission. I think what they are doing is wrong as well as what you are doing. It puts a black mark on auctions, if you can now no longer have faith that if you are the high bidder that you will actually get to purchase the item, then really why bother with the auction at all. This practice should be stopped, and not condoned, as you have said you do it yourself, at least I know now never to bid on one of your auctions mcvickj.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. All I have to say is that my feed back both on ebay and heatware speak for themselves.

The only time I have ever did that is if no one has placed a bid on the item. If someone has a bid on the item then I let things run its course.

Last edited:
Originally posted by mcvickj
Sale or no sale it eBay is going to charge the seller for posting the auction.

Actually if they remove all the bids before they do that, they wont get charged for the auction at all. its gets treated as if the reserve price was not met. For the stuff that doesn't reach its reserve, its a free auction. The only time you have to pay is when something sells.

You have to pay a listing fee.

I found a really nice pendelton coat at Goodwill fur lined, the works. Still in the plastic bag from like 1940 or something.. I put no reserve and starting price of 8 bucks free shipping, whaddya know some sucker snyped it at 1 second left for $8 I lost $4.00 on shipping.

It burnt me, but I did list it with no reserve, no matter what if I have bids, it's going to run it's course. If it's sells for $8.00 or I don;t like the bid, then I should have listed it with a higher reserve.

I have no problem with an auction ending early. I do have a problem with the seller not holding up his end when it sells for a not so respectable price.

If you were smart enough to list it for less than you wanted for it, assuming it would get bid up, and it didn't your loss. You should have put a reserve on it.

My Very humble opinon

More than likely what's happening is that the eBay listed items are probably also listed on forums FS/FT sections. I'm pretty sure that our rules are that items listed here shouldn't be listed on eBay or other auction sites just for the reason TTM said. If it gets sold on a forum before the auction is over, then the auction has to be withdrawn (because of the rules of eBay of it being a contract between seller and buyer).

Originally posted by lykan
I have no problem with an auction ending early. I do have a problem with the seller not holding up his end when it sells for a not so respectable price.

This is the grey area I was trying to hit on. Unless the auction has ended the seller can end the auction. I do not believe you have to enter a reason for why you are cancelling it early. Some use it because an agreement has been established between the buyer and seller.

Sorry mcvickj, that's not a grey area but rather a loophole for dishonest sellers, just my opinion. If you list it sell it, wheter or not you got what you really wanted or not.

If the auction has not ended, and the itm is sold local, or on the internet, it's all good in my opinion.

Yeah it pisses me off when I got a killer bid going on and the sucker closes the auction because he sold it to a local buddy, but that's how it goes sometimes.

At that point, sure I've bid, but I havent given him any cash, he still owns it, and we haven't agreed on a price, because the auction ending is what seals the contract.

More than one auction I have bid on ended that way, I usually get an Email "sorry but it sold before the auction ended" MY response "Ah bummer.. no biggy saved me some money anyhow ;)"

That's where feedback comes in, read it closely, and dont gamble on reputations.

Many times here local I see something I want and I'm like I'll give ya a ten for it.. I come back a day later, and it's sold for $50 that's just the way it goes.

Personaly, I won't end an auction early for anyone, I point them towards the auction and say "well, I can't end it early, but your welcome to bid that much no it".
Think of it this way, if they end it early, their missing out on a serious bid, they probably lot cash anyhow.

I've bought items off e-bay and the seller reached the price they wanted, I was the high bidder and they closed the auction and sold to me for the price I had bid.

How do any of you know that someone locally wanted their item and they pulled the auction early because they had a local buyer. In the terms of the dude who's selling the same savage 3 times in a row that is getting a little lame but it's his money that he's wasting for the listing fee so let the moron blow his money. I just hope no one gets burned in the process.

It's their stuff, they can open or close their item when they want.

Ya know I have done this in the past and if I am made a private offer that I feel is attractive than I feel it is my right to cancel the auction. Also What happens if in between the time you list it and right about the time it is time for the auction to end the item breaks or gets damaged?? I think the right to cancel the auction is a good thing. I mean let's just say for example the nitro truck you have listed you were running it and it gets run over my a car. How on earth are you going to sell that to someone. Sure as hell am not going to go out and by something new just so they can have it.

i can see a few sold off ebay but when its like anyone for cheap within the last few hours each time seller is just flAT backing out then cazz he aint happy with price

also some times i wait till the last like hour to bid cazz if theres a buy now a bid will take it away i leave others that chance then i place my bid in the last hour so i dont mess up the buy now

or i just wait till the end so other wont beat me and i can snipe it

like one truck i saw though had buy now for 180 but with 2 hours left was at 77$ then with like 10 min left it was at 77 still with 1 min left seller ended cazz suposedly it was no longer availible

i just dont agree with it at all

on ebay it clearly states bidding is like a contract

well i think that listing ur item should be a contract also and to end early u should have to do it before last 24 hours of auction
or use reserve

i know u can not edit ur auction within the last 24 hours but i dont get it u can end it with minutes left thats not right

heres a idea if u want to sell off ebay advertise it in forums and locally but once u list it on ebay you get what you get so dont throw a fit

Last edited:
You have to pay a listing fee.

If you list it with a price under .99 (Which most people do, and it doesn't sell or reach the reserve, you dont have to pay anything.
I currently have a Sega Genesis with 23 games on Ebay. Stuff goes incredibly high. Alot of gamer collectors. I hate the people that have wayyyy to high shipping, thats gay. I bought a movie for .99 and the guy didnt have his shipping listed so I figured it was just actual shipping costs, but he charged me $6 friggin bucks. Then sent me the wrong movie!

P.s. HobbieguyRc is a ebay deadbeat, dont waste your time with this Bunghole flamer. He ripped me off of $60. I wouldnt walk across the street to piss on him if he was on fire. I probly would if he wasn't on fire though.

Last edited:
Hmmm I have heard two bad things about Hobbieguyrc now that can't be good. He has done fine by me for quite some time. I've made three purchases and all of them showed up very timely.

just last week i was bidding on a brand new Novak XXL 75mhz FM receiver and it was at $10, no one had bidded on it(except for me) and there was only 12 hours left and he ended it. o that :angry: its only the 2nd its happened to me, maby I'm lucky. eBay should do somethin about this.

later

Leave a neutral feedback Maxx. if you can dunno if you can unless ou actually buy the item.

Leave a neutral feedback Maxx. if you can dunno if you can unless ou actually buy the item.

dont do that

they will give u negative to piss u off

Back