Ear plugs in xmaxx rear differential

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullyrscott

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, first post, first RC. I went to put ear plugs in the center diff of my xmaxx and, like a dunce, packed the rear diff by mistake. I’m wondering if I need to clean it out and put in some lower viscosity stuff. If so, what weight would you guys recommend? I still plan on running it in tarmac occasionally so I suspect the rear needs to be changed back but I’m wondering if anyone has done ear plugs in both the center and rear and what results they had. TIA - Sully

Welcome to the forum.

Traxxas recommends 20m weight in it center drive unit, which should be the consistency of ear plugs already lol. That's some pretty heavy goop.

I think it has 10k/30k front/rear. I don't know that I would go with ear plugs in the rear since you say you will be driving on pavement. Heck, I don't think I would try it on dirt. That would likely end up breaking things. But it probably wouldn't hurt to try some heavier weights and see how it acts.

Hi all, first post, first RC. I went to put ear plugs in the center diff of my xmaxx and, like a dunce, packed the rear diff by mistake. I’m wondering if I need to clean it out and put in some lower viscosity stuff. If so, what weight would you guys recommend? I still plan on running it in tarmac occasionally so I suspect the rear needs to be changed back but I’m wondering if anyone has done ear plugs in both the center and rear and what results they had. TIA - Sully

I've read some people run ear plugs in the rear, but I've also seen people breaking them. I've upped my rear diff to a mix of 75/100k and 50/75 front with 20mil in the center. The truck will still diff out a little bit when doing donuts but it's much better than stock. Plus you it gives you flex and less likely to break a diff.

I run 100k front and rear with silicone earplugs in the center diff.

Back