E revo 2.0 original rear ring and pinion checkup 150 runs later

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeenuuutt

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
Awhile back I took a tooth off my rear ring gear when the motor seized at 50mph and locked the wheels then and there. I put that gear up front, and I put the front one in the back, as the front is under less load. I checked that one yesterday and am too lazy to do it again, but so far the second tooth in line hasn’t worn much. So let’s check out the rear now. Cars getting loud. Drivecups are sloppy. Let’s check out my rear diff for wear.
Here’s the tools I’ll be using:
image.jpg
First you need to undo these 4 screws. There’s only 3 for me because I lost one and am too lazy to find a replacement. Also I recommend anyone to do hot glue right there if they want their skid to last:
image.jpg
Here’s the view after:
image.jpg
Now undo these screws and take the 2 rear suspension pins out, along with moving the toe links aside:
image.jpg
Done:
image.jpg
Now remove the 6 screws holding on the bottom half of the diff:
image.jpg (Heres 3)
Now go back and take off the whole middle skid plate off because you’re dumb and realize you forgot those 8 screws:
image.jpg
Done!
image.jpg
Now remove these 2 suspension pins, pull the a arms away, and pull off the bottom diff case:
image.jpg
Will continue with a reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 100
Bueno.
image.jpg
Didn’t even see the grub screw was loose. Remove that one and the one on the other drivecup, I’ll see if those bearings are the issue.
image.jpg
Look at that! Great news, after grabbing it with pliers like this, the little stub doesn’t move! So it was that bearing after all, and the spiders are A-ok, or they sound fine at least. The ring gear has no wear, and all those runs were on 6s power!:
image.jpg
Now I’ll take off the other side and it’s bearing:
image.jpg
Also check out the pinion, mint.
image.jpg
Done. I’ll update after I clean them:
image.jpg
Update: cleaned them a little and realized they’re starting to disintegrate... tons of play..
image.jpg
This is just for those who are curious on how much you need to do to take apart a revo 2.0’s rear diff.

Last edited:
I have 3 revos. I make steel wear plates for the rear skid as a stock one won't make it through a full set of 7200mah 2S packs or a few tanks of nitro at my skate park. When I launch out of it, the butt drags the face of the ramp like a belt sander and grinds it right off, then the little pins fall out.

I make them out of steel and bevel the leading edge like a knife so it doesn't catch on anything, then counter sink the screws really well. Lasts me over a seasons worth of bashing, sometimes 2 depending on how much I drive.
2017-0107-ERBE-RearSkid2.jpg

2017-0107-ERBE-RearSkid1.jpg

A little more robust than some glue.

Last edited:
I have 3 revos. I make steel wear plates for the rear skid as a stock one won't make it through a full set of 7200mah 2S packs or a few tanks of nitro at my skate park. When I launch out of it, the butt drags the face of the ramp like a belt sander and grinds it right off, then the little pins fall out.

I make them out of steel and bevel the leading edge like a knife so it doesn't catch on anything, then counter sink the screws really well. Lasts me over a seasons worth of bashing, sometimes 2 depending on how much I drive.
2017-0107-ERBE-RearSkid2.jpg

2017-0107-ERBE-RearSkid1.jpg

A little more robust than some glue.
I made these for my kraton and outcast

Attachments

• D6DF2602-E3A6-4A93-B1DA-CB790D1681A7.png
    D6DF2602-E3A6-4A93-B1DA-CB790D1681A7.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 87
So far my glue is holding up! It’s weird because originally I thought it’d just rip right off. It wears out after 4-5 skate park rounds so I have to put a new coat on (half a cm thick) I’ll invest into some aluminum rear skid plate sometime.

So far my glue is holding up! It’s weird because originally I thought it’d just rip right off. It wears out after 4-5 skate park rounds so I have to put a new coat on (half a cm thick) I’ll invest into some aluminum rear skid plate sometime.
They don't last much longer than stock. Best to make a steel plate to cover stock.

I guess aluminum isn't hard enough. I will fabricate a steel one when I feel like it, thanks.

Back