E- evader spur/pinion question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsingh

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am running a tacon 540 4300kv on my evader and,of course, I melted the spur gear. I am replacing with a 32 pitch and was wondering what your suggestions are for what tooth count to use on the spur/pinion....I have a 60 tooth spur on the way, what would be a good pinion size to match that with to run 2.8s with trenchers mounted on them? All suggestions are welcome guys, thanks.

no suggestions huh? well, thanks for all the help.

the mesh was good...i honestly think the evader spur couldn't stand the power...it was only damaged in the one little spot where it stripped...the rest of it looked fine..

thats all besides the point though....the question is what would be a good spur/pinion combination running a tacon 540 4300kv and the 2.8 trencher tires...the rig ran great with the stock gears and the smaller 2.8 dirt hawg tires (until the spur stripped)...he wants to run the trenchers and i think he is changing to a traxxas slipper and gears and he wanted some suggestion as to what ratio/ tooth counts to use...

Last edited:
Stock spur/pinion on the evader is 48 pitch and it just can't handle the brushless power that's why I was switching to 32 pitch. No worries though I just spent $50 dollars on a wide variety of spur/pinion tooth counts. I will figure it out with the trial and error method.

It can handle it if your mesh is good. I'm running a Castle 3800kv 4pole on 3S lipo doing 55-65MPH Speed runs on my VXL Rustler and I've never melted a 48P spur.

As for what combo to use under 32P I would figure out what your stock gear ratio was. Lets say your stock 48P gearing was 76/28. Then divide 76 by 28 which would give you a 2.71:1 gear ratio. So to match your stock gear ratio take the tooth count of your spur gear (60 in this case) and divide it by 2.71. That would be a 22T pinion if you rounded off.

Last edited:
Thank you greywolf very much for the help. The stock gearing (48p) was 80/22 if I remember correctly. That gearing was too high once I switched to the trenchers (they are quiet larger than the stock tires) I am trying to find a good ratio so I can run the trenchers. Last combo I tried was 60/18 in the 32p. That combo was a little low for my liking. Don't get me wrong, it was fun to play with, it would wheelie at at time and at any speed on command. No matter how fast it was going if I hit wide open throttle, it would back flip, lol. I eventually smashed in to a garbage bin, broke a arm. When it arrives I'm going to try out 60/20 and see how that works out for me. I may go ahead and order a 19t pinion also just in case. 60t spur seems to be the only spur I can easily/readily acquire that doesn't need fabrication to make fit.

you got to watch those garbage bins......and road signs.....and light poles....oh and the bucket with the mail box in it....we need to demolish a couple houses to gain a little room...lol

If its just the backflip that bother you but the top end speed was fine for you than try adjusting you punch levels and throttle curve (if you can with your ESC). That can help a lot with kits that have alot of low end torque. Going up a couple teeth on the pinion will help too though :)

Yea I forgot all about the punch settings. Will that help even if say I am running at 3/4 throttle then go to wide open? Cause it will back flip then too.

Pugs we definitely need less obstacles to dodge. Can't believe that I almost knocked the road sign down with you pede. Those signs are sturdy, lol. One thing is for sure though, the bucket full of mailbox post and concrete DOES NOT give at all!

lmao...that is a fact...i have hit that damn thing a thousand times...we need to take a picture of that sign and post it....i think its amazing that the pede knocked that sign that far over....

Back