Dynamite 0.31 spark plugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently found this forum searching "Dynamite 0.31 spark plugs" on google. I have had a few people contact me about these and I may soon have a solution. I designed and built a few prototypes and sent them off to be tested by someone who owns one and wants to get it running again. After they are tested and work well I will make them available. So dont give up hope that you wont be able to run this engine again.

The plug on the right is the original plug.

Attachments

• DynamitePlugs.jpg
    DynamitePlugs.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 255
Pretty cool that you can make those. What do you use to make them? Is that ceramic? Is the center post made out of something special?

Pretty cool that you can make those. What do you use to make them? Is that ceramic? Is the center post made out of something special?

Nothing special. The insulators are Corian countertop material. That's 1/3rd acrylic resin and 2/3rd natural minerals. The electrode is just music wire. I have had the same plugs in my V4 model engine for over 10 years. I have someone testing them to see how they hold up and if all is good???

i was nearly lynched when posting i was going to swap to one of these,

What was the flaw from factory? I've heard ignition.

I am very intrigued man

Why would you be lynched for putting a spark plug in your engine that isn't factory made when the factory isn't making them anymore?

The problem is nobody can find replacements. I have had 4 people ask me in the last 2 months if I have any because every RC shop is out of stock. There are more than a few people out there with the Dynamite engine that can't run them. I have sent plugs to BC Canada for testing. The latest got there early this week and if it tests well I will have a viable design. If there is a culture of not using what you can get even if it means tossing the engine in the trash, I'll stop wasting my time and move on. I'm not going to make them if nobody wants them.

Why would you be lynched for putting a spark plug in your engine that isn't factory made when the factory isn't making them anymore?

The problem is nobody can find replacements. I have had 4 people ask me in the last 2 months if I have any because every RC shop is out of stock. There are more than a few people out there with the Dynamite engine that can't run them. I have sent plugs to BC Canada for testing. The latest got there early this week and if it tests well I will have a viable design. If there is a culture of not using what you can get even if it means tossing the engine in the trash, I'll stop wasting my time and move on. I'm not going to make them if nobody wants them.
I'm sure anyone that has that engine will want them. IDK how common those engines are as overall though. The 1/8 scale 2 stroke engines didnt do very well and werent on the RC scene very long.

I will buy them of you can get them working
I have two dynamite .31 gas engines and need replacement spark plugs please help

It's been a while but here is what is happening. My Canadian plug tester was hit with bad weather and bad flooding. Hasn't been able to test. I made another plug today to be shipped out to another guy. He should be able to test and report back in a week or two. Sorry it's taking so long but you can't control the weather.

If all goes well I should make them available by the end of january.

Both my testers have gone silent. Without knowing if the plugs are any good I will not be able to make replacement parts. Sorry if I got your hopes up. I am as disappointed as you are.

Still nothing from the testers. I have another project I need to finish but when complete, is there anyone here that would want to test a plug or 2. I'm not ready to give up yet. Could be ready as soon as 2 weeks. I would prefer it be someone in the south that has good weather most of the time. Don't want someone who will flake out on me.

Trying one more time. I sent off another plug for testing. May take a few weeks. Sent it from the states all the way to the United Kingdom. If I get good feedback I will take the next steps and make a dozen or so.

Sorry you're having so much trouble finding reliable people to test these. It's likely not a very common engine, but mad respect for you trying to help out the guys that do have this engine. Just curious, what is your background? Are you an RC hobbyist as well?

I am an electrician in the motor city (Detroit area) I have worked in almost every auto plant around here. Hospitals, data centers you name it. My hobbies are all over the place from antique cars to building models to restoring parade cars, I have 3 as of now.

I used to be into RC when my kids were younger. Now that they have grown I moved into building Models. Mostly engines but also a mini bike and I did build a chassis of a Chevelle. I designed and built a small V8 called the Little Demon V8. I got a lot of requests so I started selling the plans for the engine. Then the guys who were building it started asking about spark plugs. I started building spark plugs for the engine and selling them. Then I branched out into smaller and larger plugs for other engines. I also have the undisputed claim that I make the worlds smallest production spark plug.

I stumbled in this forum because I had at least 3 inquiries about the Dynamite plugs. I started searching the web to see what it looked like and there was a thread here with guys with the same problem. I found a guy in BC canada that sent me one. I made a couple using the same materials I use for the models. I sent it back and it only lasted 3 hours. I have changed to a high temperature epoxy and sent that one off. It did well but the insulator melted after some hard use. Then I purchased a very expensive, high heat plastic for the insulators. Just sent that one to the United Kingdom to be tested. Both the epoxy and the plastic are rated in the 500F degrees range so I have a good feeling about this one.

Video of the Little Demon V8 idling.

Here is a picture of the chassis. The aluminum plate it is sitting on is about 3 feet long. (True 1/5 scale)

Attachments

• 20190205_094741s.jpg
    20190205_094741s.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190204_182836s.jpg
    20190204_182836s.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2271s.jpg
    DSCN2271s.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 63
Oh shoot. I remember you. The baddest build I have ever seen. That distributer cap you shared awhile back is sick. Hell, it all is.

Well the third guy has not sent feedback so this project is officially dead. I'm sorry that it didn't pan out for the people who need these plugs. I have spent a couple hundred bucks on material and shipping and more than a couple hours designing and building. I can't waste any more time or money on this so again I'm sorry.

do you have anymore made for testing? or would you be willing to make at least 1 more plug? I recently purchased a lst XXL 2 and it has no spark plug and want to get it running or at least looking complete on my shelf. if you would be willing to make another I would be willing to buy it and pay for your materials and time. I know it's a custom order with no guarantee it will even work and am prepared for that risk.

do you have anymore made for testing? or would you be willing to make at least 1 more plug? I recently purchased a lst XXL 2 and it has no spark plug and want to get it running or at least looking complete on my shelf. if you would be willing to make another I would be willing to buy it and pay for your materials and time. I know it's a custom order with no guarantee it will even work and am prepared for that risk.

Hello,

I am also looking for a spark plug for the Dynamite .31 gas engine. Too bad Dynamite/SH has terminated the support of this little gas engine.

I have been running this gas engine for a few months now and I'm loving it. Mixing gasoline 14:1 with the expensive oil is still cheaper than running nitro. 1 tank (150cc) can run for over 20 minutes while 150cc nitro can only last for 10 to 12 minutes.

My Dynamite .31 engine is still running ok now and nothing has broken yet. Lol....even the first spark plug is still working fine. But I think the spark plug will sooner or later fail, so now it's time to start searching for a substitute.

Does anyone know what is the thread size of the Dynamite .31 spark plug?

Thank you.

Dynamite .31 Spark Plug.jpg

Well the third guy has not sent feedback so this project is officially dead. I'm sorry that it didn't pan out for the people who need these plugs. I have spent a couple hundred bucks on material and shipping and more than a couple hours designing and building. I can't waste any more time or money on this so again I'm sorry.
Well I for one applaud the effort! I dont have one of those engines so I can't help you I'm afraid but got mad love for the effort you put in trying to help folks

Back