Dying Plastic?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candy_Man

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can anyone give me directions on how to properly dye rims and and other plastics?

Go to the local Craft store, and pick up a package of Rit dye. The instructions on the back of the package will work just fine.

hot water, even slightly warmed on the stove, do every thing at the same time, like all the rims together and the wing and hardware and such so that the color is even. and try to keep them off the bottom or flip them or something. as far as time, they can take anywhere from 5 to 40 minutes depending on the color and plastic. your probly using rit dye? the liquid seemed to work better for me then the powder, but it could have just been my color. i used the whole backage with maybe a 1 1/2 gallons of water..not all colors come out right. all depends on the plastic and its density. I've had purples come out blue and reds turn orange. TIP!!!! if your using your wife pasta pot, make sure you boil it after your done.. or you may have purple spagetti.. but dont worry, its harmless, see, look at me, I'm just fine...lol.lol

Make sure you check the parts often after putting them in the dye and water. I recently did a set of rpm a-arms, axel carriers, wing, and rims. For the a-arms I was trying to dye them a golden yellow color. I only had them in the water about 2 minutes and they weren't far away from being on the orange side. You can find the rit fabric dye in the laundry detergent section at walmart also. Hope this helps.

Make sure you check the parts often after putting them in the dye and water. I recently did a set of rpm a-arms, axel carriers, wing, and rims. For the a-arms I was trying to dye them a golden yellow color. I only had them in the water about 2 minutes and they weren't far away from being on the orange side. You can find the rit fabric dye in the laundry detergent section at walmart also. Hope this helps.

i had the same problem with a red. it was in for maybe 10 minutes but was still kinda orange, then within 1 minute it was really dark, deep red.

You REALLY have to keep your eye on it if you are after a particular shade. I just did a set of pink RPM a-arms and I was extremely cautious about the shade. I probably lifted it out every 20 seconds to check. Remember, you can get it darker, but not lighter.

Back when I did my black wing and rims about 6 years ago, I used a glass pot. I also added a little bearing oil to the water. It helped stain the parts darker, and with a slight swirl pattern. It probably won't work with a red or green color, haha. But black, it worked excellently.