DX6i on LiFePO4 pack with 6V BEC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbage

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just wanted to run this idea past you guys to see if anyone had any yays, nays or suggestions.

I found my DX6i runs poorly on NiMH batteries, especially in the cold, due to them falling short on voltage (1.2V per cell vs. 1.5V alkaline). I can use one-shot Alkaline or Lithium batteries but my environmentally responsible nerve twitches at the though of throwing away batteries after every cycle.

My plan is to buy a 2-cell LiFePO4 (because they charge fast and a durable, and I know LiIon cells work okay in the cold) and a 6V BEC and pipe 6V off the pack into the battery input of the DX6i instead of the 4-cell AA holder. This will give me a long-life, quickly rechargeable and durable power solution that won't get 'cold feet'.

Sound idea?

as long as you ahve the bec, i dont see a problem, I'm not really up on lipo tech, but i would think the tx would take way less beating then the rig, and they do fine in the rigs. as long as you charge it correctly and use the bec i think your golden like a shower.

I talked with someone about the LiFePO4 and you don't need a LVC

Genrerally, you set your LVC on LiFePO4 at the same as you do on a NiMH pack, (0.9V per cell I think it is?). They don't need it though, I accidentally ran one of mine flat, but after a high current spike it recharged and ran afterwards just fine.

It's one opf the reasons I love LiFePO4, it's so much more durable than LiPo and charges a lot faster, yet it's half the weight of NiMH.

I've got the reg sat at home waiting, I'll hook it up with a 3-cell tonight and see where it gets me. Obviously I'll keep a meter on everything and be careful :)

Genrerally, you set your LVC on LiFePO4 at the same as you do on a NiMH pack, (0.9V per cell I think it is?). They don't need it though, I accidentally ran one of mine flat, but after a high current spike it recharged and ran afterwards just fine.
:)

hmm, interesting...sounds like a good setup you got there mark.

Well, I got my BEC module tonight. Soldered a Deans to the input side, and soldered the outputs straight to the pads on the battery holder on the DX6i. With the DX6i flipped over and the battery cover off the negative contact is the spring contact top left, and the positive is the flat contact top right. The positive is a swine to get an iron into to solder on but it's doable without harming the plastics. I notched the battery cover, hid the regulator in the battery compartment, and lead the deans connector out of the top of the battery box. The battery is just strapped to the handle with a velcro strap.

I haven't got the 2-cell A123 pack from CBP yet but I used a 3-cell A123 I use as a main pack for my Axial and it works like a charm. The DX6i registers 6.1 - 6.2V nominal current, which seems to be rock solid. The handset works as normal. Also as an upshot of using a 6V regulator that works a ways down to 5V input, if I get any voltage shortfall in the cold from the battery, the radio will still get 6V hopefully and say working.

The only thing I have to watch is to unplug the battery at the Deans on the back, but I'll have to do that to charge it anyway, and I like to keep myself in the habit of disconnecting batteries when not in use anyway.

All in all so far looks like a successful mod. If you are interested I'll take a shot of it but it's really not all that interesting.

Last edited: