Making Battery Packs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digital Liquid

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have been playing with the idea of making my own battery packs, (receiver & transmitter packs). I want a battery that will last all day & I just can't break down & spend $30-$40 on one hump/flat pack from the store.

I have soldering experience & have no problems with that, I just wanted to see if anyone else has made their own packs.

If so, do you have any: Tips - Advice - Mishaps?

I plan on using some 1.2V 2000mAh AA NiMh matched cells.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Dilemma:

Of course the recievers need 6V - so that would be 5 cells. But the Transmitter (Airtronics MX-3), runs on 12V - so that would be 10 cells.

I emailed Airtronics & asked them about the homemade packs. They said that was fine, but here's the thing that stumped me. They said to not use 10 cells - "only use 8 cells, because 10 would be too much voltage."

I don't see how that could be, (1.2V x 10 cells = 12V). If I run 8 cells, (1.2V x 8 cells = 9.6V). Why would I want to setup a battery pack at 9.6V. The transmitter low voltage alarm kicks in at 9.3V. That isn't enough leeway space IMO b/t the voltages.

Anyway, some feedback would be appreciated.

Later....:mex:

I run 8 rechargables in my XS3. After a full charge they seem to peak out at 10.8V. They are NiCads.

I run 8 recharchable Radio Shack NiMh 2000mah in my JR XR2 and I let them charge anywhere from 11-11.4. I've been using the same batteries for about 2 years. They last all day when the temps outside are above 50. But when it's below 50, they only last about 2-3 hours worth of running as opposed to 5-7 hours.

I used the same batteries to make 5 cell packs for my t-maxx and my losi xxx-nt. With the maxx, i'm running two Hitech 645MG servo's for steering and throttle/brake. Again, in the colder temps i only get about 1 hour of run time. In warmer temps, i get about 3 hours out of one pack. I made 4 and I run all day.

I've been running 4X1.2V and 8X1.2V for well over a year without any problems. No noticable range problems nor any responce related issues as a result of being a lower voltage.

I made my own packs from (5) 1800's and have not had any problems running all day. I always take back-up packs just in case and swap them out regularly. I run 8 cells in my transmitter and it usually reads at 10.5 or so when fully charged. I can run them for days in a row without having a problem. Although I monitor them regularly as well.