Duratrax Quaker 1/8 Monster Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GMitsubishi

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I got this the other day with a few other trucks..
I got lucky but had no idea just how lucky until I got home.
The man I bought them from told me the Quaker had a new engine in it that he hadn't yet started...
That looked like BS judging from the outside of the engine.
Upon opening the engine for inspection and cleaning I found the sleeve had no carbon residue and neither did the piston, Never ran brand new!
So I in turn tore the whole engine down, cleaned it and rebuilt it as good measure to ensure there weren't dirt particles in it from sitting for 6years in a closet.

This picture is the engine directly after taking it out of the truck.
20170227_172442.jpg

Next up is the picture of the engine "Torq .21" after the cleaning and rebuild with a Baked on few coats of Metallic Blue...
Message_1488236875908.jpg

nice score.
looks like he carried it in the back of his pickup in the oil patch in the spring before tossing it in the closet....lol

you can paint Nitro blocks?
AWESOME....imma give that a try

Just make sure the paint can handle 300degrees at the least and you should be good to go..
The metallic paint I used is rated for 500degrees.
If you bake it at 300degrees for an hour it bakes it on pretty good so its durable.
The more coats "4 coats max" the better durability when baked.

I think the oil all over it is from him trying to start it and failing due to the broken glow plug element I found.
Then letting it sit for years with Nitro evaporating from it anywhere it could get out of the cracks I'm guessing.
None of the trucks had ANY maintenance done on them.
They all were covered in nitro and mud.
Whats weird about the lack of maintenance is all of the really nice race parts on the trucks and the custom welded roll cages..
If he cared enough to to hop them up so much then why not clean them up and keep everything lubed and in tune??
There in good shape considering they are 16 year old Nitro trucks.
I've got to get new bodies although, don't want to hurt the Vintage bodies.

I got this the other day with a few other trucks..
I got lucky but had no idea just how lucky until I got home.
The man I bought them from told me the Quaker had a new engine in it that he hadn't yet started...
That looked like BS judging from the outside of the engine.
Upon opening the engine for inspection and cleaning I found the sleeve had no carbon residue and neither did the piston, Never ran brand new!
So I in turn tore the whole engine down, cleaned it and rebuilt it as good measure to ensure there weren't dirt particles in it from sitting for 6years in a closet.

This picture is the engine directly after taking it out of the truck.View attachment 19215

Next up is the picture of the engine "Torq .21" after the cleaning and rebuild with a Baked on few coats of Metallic Blue...View attachment 19216

Could have fooled me as well with the dirt & residue all over it!

Sometimes when an engine is kept on a break-in setting ,it will appear new on the inside ,but will look
like its fuel soaked on the outside!

Its defiantly getting broke in now... I'm three tanks into the break in process and with each tank I go through its gaining power..
The dam roll cage is about five pounds so that probably doesn't help..
The clutch that was on it was fried.. So was the steering servo

More pics and progress will be up soon.. Running it to see what kind of bugs and gremlins are in it today and tomorrow.

Last edited:
Another big tech question now.
I don't know what transmissions would fit into this thing and I can't find replacement parts or references.
The gears in the transmission are near shot and it will not stay in drive "even with a servo forcing it to stay".
I have found a Chain Drive conversion kit for a 1/8 Kyosho FO-XX..
I know that the holes don't line up "not a big deal with a measuring tape and drill bits".
My question here is will it fit onto my frame space wise?
Does anyone know where to get measurements for this kit?
I only need the mounting plate length.
Thanks in advance

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-1-8-...a4408eb83d2de7e943b20d&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&

FYI I do have two more original Duratrax frames..
Hopefully I'm still not killing a unicorn here so to speak.

pictures of the truck and transmission?
a little member knowhow , and we may be able to weasel some kind of tranny in that bad-boy

First to last.
My Truck "purple body".
My truck with everything in it.
20170302_030027.jpg
20170302_025949.jpg
20170302_030340.jpg

My wifes truck "same rig diff body" a little stripped down to show work room for a potential swap.

I'm not worried about the fuel tank.. I'm sure I can retrofit it somewhere else pretty easily.
Lets all pretend its gone.
What transmission did you need a pic of?
Mine or the chain drive one?

I have an HPI Savage 4.6 aluminum clutch kit I'm looking at.. Its a 3 shoe clutch like duratrax uses and the same size clutch bell.
I'm thinking thats safe "ish" to invest into.

As long as I stay out of 2nd gear the transmission is working..
Grabbed some 33%nitro and got it dialed in today, gymkhana with a 1/8 monster truck is awesome!
I feel like I could run 40% and a cooler plug though..
We put nerf bars on the cage today and it looks great "mostly a nostalgia thing".
I am going with the chain drive at this point no doubt.

I figured having 8 batteries running in parallel would lengthen the battery life a bit..
Its working well so far but needs to be zip tied in.
Its two battery packs from radio shack wired together and glued back to back with shoe goo..

Where on earth was his closet for it to get that dirty?

It was in the closet he would store the neighborhood children in before he ate them!

Back