Duratrax Evader ST Pro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyUs

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My Evader ST Pro has given me a share of excitement and disappointment over the years...mostly excitement. I would not have this stadium truck right now if it was not for Duratrax making a tranny that held up to hotter motors. I was about to throw this truck in the trash back in 2010, then Duratrax came out with the Evader Brushless edition of the ST. That all metal gear Evader Brushless tranny is down right AWESOME, and is the only reason why I still trash (track bash) the ST platform to this day.

I recently give 'er some lovin' by outfitting 'er with some proper old school stadium truck tires and wheels from back in the day.

I am a huge lover of any non dish wheels. I was saving the JConcepts wheels for my one RC10T4, but the timing isn't just right yet. Man, I wish JConcepts would continue on with Rulux ST wheels, but produce them with 12mm hexes. Step Pins, courtesy of Panther Tires, glued up on the rear, and Pro-Line/Team Associated "The Edge" tires made it onto the front wheels.

Having a box load of wings left over from my RC10B4 being sold...I put the wings to use as a spoiler for the Evader ST Pro, and my other stadium trucks. A little bit of trimming and... voilà.

My Evader ST Pro has given me a share of excitement and disappointment over the years...mostly excitement. I would not have this stadium truck right now if it was not for Duratrax making a tranny that held up to hotter motors. I was about to throw this truck in the trash back in 2010, then Duratrax came out with the Evader Brushless edition of the ST. That all metal gear Evader Brushless tranny is down right AWESOME, and is the only reason why I still trash (track bash) the ST platform to this day.

I recently give 'er some lovin' by outfitting 'er with some proper old school stadium truck tires and wheels from back in the day.
View attachment 118480
I am a huge lover of any non dish wheels. I was saving the JConcepts wheels for my one RC10T4, but the timing isn't just right yet. Man, I wish JConcepts would continue on with Rulux ST wheels, but produce them with 12mm hexes. Step Pins, courtesy of Panther Tires, glued up on the rear, and Pro-Line/Team Associated "The Edge" tires made it onto the front wheels.
View attachment 118481
Having a box load of wings left over from my RC10B4 being sold...I put the wings to use as a spoiler for the Evader ST Pro, and my other stadium trucks. A little bit of trimming and... voilà.

Nice ride ,my first street car was a Duratrax street force!....:thumbs-up:

Thanks. I got a red, white, and blue body for backup, but wouldn't look right with fluorescent yellow wheels. That's why I decided to use up the JConcepts. I'm giving up a 2mm on the rear width, and gaining about 5mm in additional width on the front when using wheels designed for Team Associated's T4.

Duratrax had an extremely good long run with the Evader platform over the years. The ST Pro came with graphite parts. Except for the arms, battery strap, and front spindles, the original graphite composite parts are still on my ST Pro today. Duratrax's graphite is quite tough. I had to swap out the graphite composite arms for new EXT "plastic" arms 'cause the hinge pins had wallowed out the arms pretty bad...I couldn't stand the slop any more.

I got a couple old duratrax nitro buggies from a guy at work. He was going to include an onroad, which I was interested in. Not sure what to do with these old ST's as they need work to be functional, but parts aren't really around anymore.

always loved the duratrax rigs, never ended up getting one though. i wanted an evader to race my brothers rustler around, but ended up going nitro.
that thing is very clean and looks very well kept! beautiful truck!

My friend across the street from me ,bought his sons one for X-mas about 8 yrs ago ,one had the buggy
an the other ,the stadium ,they ran them a few times ,but lost interest in them!

Me an the dad use to race are street cars together up an down the street.....LOL...it was
a blast ,I think we had every kid on the block out watching us run them!

I had the Duratrax street force an he had the Traxxas 4-tec ,Lol...mine cost way cheaper an would keep
up with his!...:D

Well, after 17 runs, the CVD bone shot into the air. I don't know if I would have found it if it wasn't for the shiny chrome reflecting sunlight for that split second. Hopefully it'll be a simple fix of replacing the pin.

I now know why I have two tubes of 1.59mm tungsten carbide rod in my pit/parts box. I just couldn't remember what pin I was going to make out of the rod. Hopefully the stuff will last longer than what was used for the stock pin.

Attachments

• 20190517_170947.jpg
    20190517_170947.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 20190517_175008.jpg
    20190517_175008.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 302
I now know why I have two tubes of 1.59mm tungsten carbide rod in my pit/parts box. I just couldn't remember what pin I was going to make out of the rod. Hopefully the stuff will last longer than what was used for the stock pin.
Do you remember where you bought that? I use steel dowel pins I pick up at the hardware store. They tend to snap though and I rarely find the size I need. Usually a bit smaller than I need and I just live with the slop.

I get 95% of my stuff from eBay. The seller was buonshopping , but does not have any in stock. I got two 1.59mm x 50mm Tungsten Carbide rods for $3.96 and do the waiting game.

So far, so good.

When I did replace the first pin that broke, I didn't do the other CV pin. Well, two runs later, the other side let loose. The CV joint pin had got mangled just like the other.

I keep track of the number of runs for each of my RCs. I mark down when I put new tires on, and other notable parts that have been replaced. After every 15 battery packs, my RCs get their tranny/driveline/shocks torn down; cleaned, and rebuilt. I'll be curious to see how long my replacement pins lasts.

Last edited:
I get 95% of my stuff from eBay. The seller was buonshopping , but does not have any in stock. I got two 1.59mm x 50mm Tungsten Carbide rods for $3.96 and do the waiting game.

So far, so good.

When I did replace the first pin that broke, I didn't do the other CV pin. Well, two runs later, the other side let loose. The CV joint pin had got mangled just like the other.

I keep track of the number of runs for each of my RCs. I mark down when I put new tires on, and other notable parts that have been replaced. After every 15 battery packs, my RCs get their tranny/driveline/shocks torn down; cleaned, and rebuilt. I'll be curious to see how long my replacement pins lasts.
I just snapped the pin in my HB CVD on the rear of my savageX. I think it was one of those hardened steel pins I got at the hardware store. Went back to a dogbone. lol

I just snapped the pin in my HB CVD on the rear of my savageX. I think it was one of those hardened steel pins I got at the hardware store. Went back to a dogbone. lol
I normally use just plain dogbones, but Tower Hobbies had a sale on Evader parts. A lot of stuff was 75% off. If I didn't have spare parts for the ST Pro, it would have been up for auction long ago :dead:. I just, not too long ago, sold my spare ST Pro roller. I thought it was time to get rid of it while the getting is good, as I got what I paid for it, and it would've just sat in storage collecting old age if I kept it. I knew someone out there had a need for a ball diff Evader ST.

I just received a set of Evader shock pistons to mess with. It took a bit of searching to track down a set, because they were not listed with a part number in the title. As far as I can tell. they were the last set in the USA. I was this [ ] close to ordering some Losi pistons. I tried Team Associated pistons once before, but I felt they were a hair too small as I had to use something like 45w shock oil to get the right feel...went back to stock pistons.

Well, I'm assuming the stock pistons, that I'm using at the moment, are the original pistons from 2003-ish, and I feel they are wearing down ever so slightly (Is that even possible?) as I keep increasing the weight of shock oil to smooth the damping on the rough track. Maybe it's a combination of piston and the shock walls wearing down. Anyways, I will be using the next smaller piston hole and go back to a lighter oil.

My ultimate goal is to prevent any massive chassis slappin' that is going on in the rear.

Last edited:
One of the things I don't like about the Evader line of RCs is the fact that you can't adjust the battery pack fore and aft for balance. No room for adjustment whatsoever. At least not with a regular "stick" pack LiPo. The dated design was meant for NiMh, or even NiCd packs I suppose. I acquired the ST Pro back in 2009 for my daughter, and never had it jumping on a track before. I never really knew the flight characteristics of it until we moved to another place, and had room for backyard track. By that time, I switched to LiPo batteries.

I shouldn't really care about how the Evader ST handles, as I'm just a track basher, but I would like to get it close as possible to feeling like one of my T4 stadium trucks. With the same tires on both my Evader ST and T4, the Evader ST is a lot more rear biased with weight. I never really took notice to it before, because I never had the same tires on both platforms before.

Will a shorty pack work with a Duratrax EXT battery strap? Hmmm. ?

Last edited:
Yeah, I believe Duratrax is only into tires, chargers, a few accessories, and paint at the moment.

Thanks for the link, but I used to be a bit of a parts hoarder with my Evader ST, SC10s, RC10B4s, and RC10T4s. I think I have enough parts to last me at least 10+ years...I am hoping anyways. I've now cut back on my eBay auction/chop shops addiction :hehe:. The shock piston set was just one of those, if I can find it, I'll use it. If not, then I'll go to plan B.

I did try a shorty pack, and it had little effect on weight bias. It was not enough change for me to go out and buy a shorty exclusively for my Evader.

@HeavyBag you arent possibly on Duratrax RC group on FB are you? if not there is a very similar evader on there lol

So I've got an evader ext st from a long time ago I have a few sct's and I had an extra hobbywing 3660 4600kv motor laying around and a castle esc so I got out the evader and put them on there ran it for at least 30 mins straight before the steering link came loose, easy fix but I'm wondering if you can still get parts for these it's a fun rc car even if it's nothing like my sentons or Baja rey I still love driving it

I have the same truck. It is a fun truck to take out once in a while. However, be careful with the motor you have in it. That gearbox is not that strong. For parts, I get them from Ebay. However, parts are getting getting more scarce.

Back