Drones flies within 30 feet of passenger jet

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I give up, all I see on pretty much a daily occurrence is idiots with drones, multi-copters, quads, whatever you want to call them, that uses them to do incredibly ignorant things. Like this story, where someone flies a drone within 30feet of a passenger jets final approach of about 500 feet.

Enjoy them while you can...

Yep, no one posts the stories of the thousands of pilots who go enjoy their RC aircraft responsibly each and every day.
What if the pilot of the Aeroplane was flying the drone to get the ultimate "selfie"? You never know these things :D

How do these idiots even get that close to major runways? When they start handing out intense fines and serious jail time it might stop.
This is the problem I've had with these things from the start. When we took our big nitro helis to a sanctioned flying field, no one ever heard of any problems. Then the small electric helis came along and people could fly them in their back yards. Still took some skills, but not nearly as much as the nitros. Now, any idiot with NO skills and NO training and NO common sense or courtesy can fly anywhere because the GPS will bring it back. Want to stop this nonsense? Remove the electronics that almost make it fly itself and go back to skilled piloting.

How do these idiots even get that close to major runways? When they start handing out intense fines and serious jail time it might stop.
This is the problem I've had with these things from the start. When we took our big nitro helis to a sanctioned flying field, no one ever heard of any problems. Then the small electric helis came along and people could fly them in their back yards. Still took some skills, but not nearly as much as the nitros. Now, any idiot with NO skills and NO training and NO common sense or courtesy can fly anywhere because the GPS will bring it back. Want to stop this nonsense? Remove the electronics that almost make it fly itself and go back to skilled piloting.
It's technology moving on that's made them too easy to fly.

Well, if they want this technology then lets go with extensive training, testing and a costly license. If you want one without the advanced technology, just like the helis, most people won't want to fly them due to the difficulty.
That should take a lot of the idiots out of the game.

Well, if they want this technology then lets go with extensive training, testing and a costly license. If you want one without the advanced technology, just like the helis, most people won't want to fly them due to the difficulty.
Yep. Would bring the price down and remove the gimmicks too.

It's technology moving on that's made them too easy to fly.

Not true, learning the fly them still takes time, patience, and skills. The problem is most of the idiots see a cool youtube video, rush out and buy one and crash it first thing in the worst possible place. What's leading to the stories like this one, is the fact that the technology has steadily been declining in price form years, making the cost of entry too accessible IMHO. When you had to spend $1,000 + and learn to build the thing in addition to that, you didn't see this shite.

Not true, learning the fly them still takes time, patience, and skills. The problem is most of the idiots see a cool youtube video, rush out and buy one and crash it first thing in the worst possible place. What's leading to the stories like this one, is the fact that the technology has steadily been declining in price form years, making the cost of entry too accessible IMHO. When you had to spend $1,000 + and learn to build the thing in addition to that, you didn't see this shite.
I agree 100%!

In reply to your first post. I wish we would see more "feel good" stories about this aircraft because it's this non-stop bad publicity that's going to severely harm the hobby. I really get tried seeing idiots lead the news.

Totally agree, however technology has made them easier to fly to your average moron, so will become something they can become good enough to do things like this quicker.

It's already severely harmed the hobby WoodiE, hence why we now have register not only with the AMA, but also the FAA as well. Not to mention, the mere mention of the word drone now, thanks to mass media outlets, sets off a panic alarm in most of the population regardless of whether they actually understand what you have or don't. That's why I strive to always call them toy RC aircraft, as it usually puts people at more ease, and then they get comfortable and want to know more about them rather than rejecting them based off the latest news story automatically.

Totally agree, however technology has made them easier to fly to your average moron, so will become something they can become good enough to do things like this quicker.

No it hasn't, go read any flight based RC forum for the number of new pilot crashes and you'll see what I mean. NOW, if you mean the tech has made it easier for the average moron to have a safety net (RTH return to home capability) that works most of the time, then that's entirely true.

It's already severely harmed the hobby WoodiE, hence why we now have register not only with the AMA, but also the FAA as well. Not to mention, the mere mention of the word drone now, thanks to mass media outlets, sets off a panic alarm in most of the population regardless of whether they actually understand what you have or don't. That's why I strive to always call them toy RC aircraft, as it usually puts people at more ease, and then they get comfortable and want to know more about them rather than rejecting them based off the latest news story automatically.

No it hasn't, go read any flight based RC forum for the number of new pilot crashes and you'll see what I mean. NOW, if you mean the tech has made it easier for the average moron to have a safety net (RTH return to home capability) that works most of the time, then that's entirely true.
That's what I was trying to get at. But yes, it is harming good pilots and something needs to be done about it...

Big fines and MAJOR jail time before someone takes down a real plane or helicopter. Either that or limit the "Hobby" grade quads to no more than 100 feet from the transmitter.

Either that or limit the "Hobby" grade quads to no more than 100 feet from the transmitter.

Now you're simply harming the thousands upon thousands of responsible hobby pilots round the globe. That reeks of gun laws in my book, and we all know the success rate those have. RC is already that way as well, it's not the responsible rule abiding pilots you hear about flying FPV at 8,000ft AGL causing issues.

Now you're simply harming the thousands upon thousands of responsible hobby pilots round the globe. That reeks of gun laws in my book, and we all know the success rate those have. RC is already that way as well, it's not the responsible rule abiding pilots you hear about flying FPV at 8,000ft AGL causing issues.
Do not bring up gun laws around me. Things will most likely not end up well.

I'll get back on topic. I bought a "DRONE" from WoodiE. I can't help but wonder what he used it for. It was immaculate. He must have spent many hours wiping all traces of his fingerprints and DNA from it.

This is what happens you don't spay & neuter the stupid ones, they just make even dumber copies of themselves.
For the small number of fools doing the absolute dumbest things with their Quads, they need to be made example of, thousands in fines and years in the klinky.
Large license fee's and no range TX would be a deal killer for me, public beatings for those in violation would be much better.

ANY violation of air space and you lose it all. Your quad AND your transmitter. All your camera equipment too, if it was outfitted with it.
That AND a monster fine. No ifs, ands or buts.

Great points guys. I like the idea of enforcing harsh penalties on the ones who cause trouble, people seem to follow the rules when the punishment is harsh I.e. Public beating Singapore style. J/k Also HPI guy made another good point, the low price point on things like the E-Flites are giving people who don't know the rules a chance to screw it up for the serious quad copter pilots.
If you have ever even tried to fly an air hogs indoor helicopter then a quad is a piece of cake. They are IMO way to easy to operate. I couldn't hover my old electric heli for a month and broke it countless times. E-Bay was flooded with Blade CX's because they were cheap and advertised as beginner class but we're still incredibly difficult to operate. You didn't hear about these types issues with the helicopters and planes (of course there were no laws back then either) and I believe it's because they're more difficult to fly. I mean, if the people are so into flying an R/C aircraft then why aren't sales up for heli's and planes? Again, I believe it's because of the difficulty operating one. With these new quads all you have to do is turn it on and push the throttle and you can be at a risk of collision with a real aircraft in seconds. Try that with a plane or helicopter and you'll barely make it 10 feet in the air unless your familiar with the tail rotor or rudders.
I don't read the aircraft forums so I'm only speaking of my own personal experience and opinions.

ALL of my quads are dumb. They have no return to home or auto-hover. If you sneeze while flying, you're all over the place. The fun of flying them is their challenge. My 200 QX is a beast and I love it. Unfortunately it takes both hands to fly or I'd posts some picks of it. lol