Driving in light rain / wet conditions ...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UHFire

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is the 1/8 buggy able to drive in a parking lot in light rain, or would it wreck the ride? If driving is all right, what area of post-run drying is most critical? :buggy1: :moped:

I drove my nitro in light mist and a lil rain for a bit and it made my ride pretty dirty.I don't recommend it as this can wreak havoc on your elctronics.And that is to say the least. But if you must then Waterproof everything before you try it!!

Assuming the electronics don't get wet, it's okay to run in the rain but I don't recommend it.

Water can corrode some aluminum (like the post in your servo saver) and rust the screws. Even when they are stainless steel, they can still rust!

As long as you dry it out a little when you're done, you'll be okay. Just don't let it sit there all wet!

Originally posted by cbreaker
Assuming the electronics don't get wet, it's okay to run in the rain but I don't recommend it.

Water can corrode some aluminum (like the post in your servo saver) and rust the screws. Even when they are stainless steel, they can still rust!

As long as you dry it out a little when you're done, you'll be okay. Just don't let it sit there all wet!
now were do you get stainless can rust???and yes iam busten your balls

Well cbreaker I have to agree with Zandor on this stainless steel will not rust. Were I work we us alot of it and no rusting. If you were to buff it with a standard wire wheel you can get fine parts of wheel that will imbed in to the surface of the stainless and give the look that it is rusting.

Also I have run my buggy thru a large puddle of water once or twice while being alittle out of control and have suffered no damage, all though its not the smartest thing to do.

Stainless steel still contains steel. Steel rusts/corrodes. Unless you have really soft screws, there's going to be a pretty high steel content (less other (softer) metals mixed in to help prevent corrosion) and they CAN rust. I didn't say they would, but they very well can. The screws are going to be a lot harder then say, wire or silverware, and so more steel.

Note this URL: http://www.julien.ca/en/stainless/what.asp
And this one:
http://www.outokumpu.com/template/Page____5814.asp
And this one:
http://www.scrapmetalworks.com/stainless%20steel.htm
This:
http://www.britesteel.com/stainless.html

They all say the same thing, "Stainless steel is stain/corrosion RESISTANT" but not impervious.

I'd say why risk it.

Last edited:
The guy is talking about driving on a damp parking lot not dumping it in the ocean. We have stainless parts out side in all weather for over 10years and no rust. One of you links even states that.

Stainless Steel is one of the most remarkable materials in the construction industry. It is versatile, lasts indefinitely, is 100% recyclable, does not rust, and is pleasing to the eye

Tis is a quote from your link.

Stainless steel is essentially a low-carbon content steel that contains 10% or more chromium by weight. It is the addition of chromium that gives steel its unique long-lasting, corrosion-resistant stainless properties. These properties can be enhanced by increased chromium content and the addition of other elements such as molybdenum, nickel and nitrogen.

To ensure a high quality of life, the materials consumers and manufacturers use should not only meet technical performance standards, but also provide a long product life, be suitable for a wide range of applications and be environmentally friendly. Once their life-cycle is complete, they should be 100% recyclable (over 90% of new stainless steel comes from old remelted stainless steel scrap. Stainless steel meets all of these requirements.

Stainless steel requires minimal maintenance and does not require the use of harsh cleaners. Nothing is applied to the surface that could add additional material to the environment.

so were do you get ss can rust. iam a welder that welds ss all day for uses on very crosive matriels and have never seen ss rust.above coming from your own post.cb intill you can come up with some some corect info on the subject please don't reply..busten your balls again....lzandor:bowned:

Last edited:
The guy is talking about driving on a damp parking lot not dumping it in the ocean. We have stainless parts out side in all weather for over 10years and no rust. One of you links even states that.

Whether you're "dumping it in the ocean" or not, if they get wet, they get wet. I've had stainless steel screws corrode on me and cause trouble in the past. If you haven't more power to you.

Stainless Steel is one of the most remarkable materials in the construction industry. It is versatile, lasts indefinitely, is 100% recyclable, does not rust, and is pleasing to the eye

Tis is a quote from your link.

I've used Rust/Corrosion interchangably. To satisfy you, I will use "corrosion" from now on, so that you do not get hung up on a word.

Every single one of those links says "corrosion resistant" (disclaimer: not those exact words, POSSIBLY different, maybe a hyphen in there, and I'm not going to back quote every link at 4am) and not corrosion PROOF. If it could not corrode, they would not say resistant.

All of this is besides the point, but I'll rephrase my original post, okay?

"Water can corrode some aluminum (like the post in your servo saver) and rust the screws. Even when they are stainless steel, they can still corrode in my opinion, although some people like to disagree. Use your own judgement on this one, but I feel it's better to be safe then sorry. "

Weeeeee!

Damn dude get some sleep you are a little to tightly wound up. It was just being stated that stainless dosen't rust, it wasn't a personal attack on you. So don't come out of the gate swinging. you're intitled to your opinion and everyone else to theres. If you are going to get that worked up over it maybe you should be more carefull what you post. But thats just my opinion.

if your getting corrosion on your ss you must be dumping your rc in the sea during normal use if this is happening you are not taking care of your rc like you should be neglect.so cb if you are letting your rc stand for that long that is your fault.most peps are smarter than that......are youy smart???? busten your balls...
zandor. come on cb reply to that......:bowned:

Last edited:
Zandor22, I noticed your sig, it reminded me of a question I was going to ask my manufacturer reps ... are there any parts of a buggy that can be welded without making something that is supposed to be temporary, permanent? I guess what I'm asking is, do people in this hobby do any welding modifications ever?

I drive my onroad cars in the rain all the time. Infact, when there light rain out I look forward to it. Its fun drifting around in the rain.

I just wrap up all my electronics in baloons and wrap it up tight. havent had a problem yet.

--NooP

A little rain has never hurt a R/C. It makes it all the more fun. Clean up sucks, but you don't care as long as you are having fun right:D

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 179
TeamPlayer, I've never heard of Tornado Fuel. Is that the fuel to use over there in Belgium?

Originally posted by GilBeQuick
TeamPlayer, I've never heard of Tornado Fuel. Is that the fuel to use over there in Belgium?

Yea, some of the locals use it... They dont sell US brands here, so we have to improvise with the european fuels.

I've had stainless screws in particular rust on me too. Just on the surface, no big deal, but it has happened. Especially when driven hard and put up wet.

As for the initial question, HAVE FUN! Know that you always take a risk whenever water is present. Your receiver, battery packs, and servos are the primary concern. Bearrings and screws are the most likely to have a REAL impact if not taken care of properly after being waterred down. WD-40 works GREAT the night after running in the water.

I have blown one servo and had one receiver STOP working completely after running through the water. But I'm talking the water was 4 inches deep!!! I immediated shut it down after, took it home, took apart the receiver, both servos and all the bearrings. Got out the hair dryer and went to town.

Only thing that went for good was a digital servo. My fault.

I have run all my rides EXCEPT my on-road in the rain at least once. The TMaxx threw up some CRAZY awesome rooster tails! Fun to say the least. And I always enjoy a run on the grass when there is fresh morning dew. Cleans the bottom and the wheels up nice.

Just take the precautions that you SHOULD and all will be fine. From a silicon coating around the mating area of your servos to ballooning or bagging everything if you can.

Have fun!

GilBeQuick- I personaly have never run the Tornado, but some of the locals like it. There is like 5 different types of fuels. Some times if you buy it one day the next day it might change colors on you.

Getting good stuff here is very hard. All you guys back home enjoy it. I miss being able to go to a hobby shop that supplies all the things I use. Take advantege of being able to race every weekend(1/8th scale buggy) . Finding a race here is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I miss the states.:(

I've used Rust/Corrosion interchangably. To satisfy you, I will use "corrosion" from now on, so that you do not get hung up on a word.

That's a quote from a few replies back. The magic word should be "Oxidize", something that happens to ALL metals, with perhaps the exception of gold or platinum. Some metals, such as copper, brass or bronze, oxidize to a greenish patina. This patina now protects the metal against further oxidization. The Statue of Liberty is a prime example of it.

As for running your cars in light rain, it's a blast in a big parking lot. Skids, spins and slides you just can't get on dry pavement. Balloon your reciever, battery pack and servos, and at the end of the day blow the car off with a compressor. I then spray a fine mist of WD-40 on it and blow it off again. No problems so far.

Stainless steel CAN and will rust if left wet enough times. I work with stainless steel (surgical instruments) and if you could just see the rust on some of these instruments you would wonder why the patient doesn't get tetanous (sp?). Stainles steel is just more resistant to rust. Good thing about stainless steel is that rust can be polished off. Chrome will pit and peal way before stainless will rust.

Back