Drag Brake Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonmon

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I am completely lost, I just got the Spektrum Rugged and I am trying to set up a drag brake on my TRX4, I've done everything to set up the drag brake on the ESC but, every time I go through the sequence and have "Brake/Reverse Type" to "Crawler Reverse", "Drag Brake" to "Crawler Full" and "Brake Amount" to "100%" it does nothing, I get no brakes what so ever, it just stops on a dime (which I do not want). I had a lower transmitter and receiver and it worked flawlessly. I'm not sure if the Spektrum transmitter/receiver is messing with the drag brake and if it is, is there something I can do to change it.

Heres the setup:
Chassis: Traxxas TRX4
ESC: Castle Mamba X Micro + 1900kv sensored motor
Reciver: Spektrum SR515 5- channel DSMR sport
Transmitter: Spektrum Rugged

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thank You,
Jonmon

You have to setup your throttle and brake curve with the app and b-link on your phone or with a non Mac pc. Once you change them the esc is on a whole other level of greatness. Out of the box it’s not set up for crawling and even with the esc changed to crawler reverse it’s only ok. This s a great video. Not specifically for the micro but it’s the same settings. I set both my curves to look similar to a quarter pipe skate ramp.
You can also setup a channel with the white wire coming out of the esc and set a selected program (drag brake) and change it on the fly with your radio.

I think jr has some good info .not sure its going to work 100% .. some esc just dont like some radio gear .learned that a long time ago when the great leap was made from fm to 2.4 -m11 .I havent used spektrum in years(fell for the bull long ago never againm1001 1sr dx3r pro last)

My stock TRX4 ESC died, so I replaced it with a Hobbywing wp 1080. The 1080 is programmable and came with a card, but I have never been able to get a strong enough hold on any significant incline. I just figured it was the limitation of the stock motor. I've just learned to apply a tiny bit of throttle pressure to get the brake holding power I need.

Note: my TRX4 Defender has been modified with a lot of weight to lower the center of gravity, so it comes in shy of 10lb.

Back