Does this steering look/sound right to you?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcobrien

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I recently upgraded the steering bearings, servo saver spring & steering servo. Today after half hour of running, the upgraded servo stopped working.

As I'm a newbie, I'm worried I didn't put something back together right. I've now reinstalled the stock HPI servo & wanted anyone's opinion on whether this looks like it's working correctly. It seems quite jerky to me & looks as though it has a stagger movement when returning to neutral..?! I've included a photo & video..

Any help & advice appreciated :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348960929.114181.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVNfhJJPnXU&feature=youtu.be

It seems fine to me. The jerking could just be the stock hpi servo. They are not very good servos at all. Both of mine went out within 5 tanks on my trophy buggy i bought. What brand did you upgrade too that wen out? Get a good brand like futaba, hitech, or savox. I run futaba S3305 on mine. Never had an issue with them.

It seems fine to me. The jerking could just be the stock hpi servo. They are not very good servos at all. Both of mine went out within 5 tanks on my trophy buggy i bought. What brand did you upgrade too that wen out? Get a good brand like futaba, hitech, or savox. I run futaba S3305 on mine. Never had an issue with them.

I bought the Alturn 750MG (recommended by Modelsport UK). Ideally I don't want to spend £50+ on a servo, but I want something that's gonna be durable & last. Have the large Blast wheels with Goliath tyres, so it needs to be powerful too...

Well my opinion is never buy cheap electronics. Spend the money on good quality servos and they will last. The futabas i mentioned are $39.99 on tower hobbies and they are 125 in oz torque and .20 seconds on speed at 6 volts. Plenty of power to turn your Goliath tires. But not so much that its overkill.

---------- Post added at 8:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:10 PM ----------

My bad there only $32.99 each at tower hobbies

Well my opinion is never buy cheap electronics. Spend the money on good quality servos and they will last. The futabas i mentioned are $39.99 on tower hobbies and they are 125 in oz torque and .20 seconds on speed at 6 volts. Plenty of power to turn your Goliath tires. But not so much that its overkill.

---------- Post added at 8:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:10 PM ----------

My bad there only $32.99 each at tower hobbies

Do you think I should just bite the bucket & buy the Savox SC1256? The Futaba one you mention has less torque than the one I bought. Don't want to keep replacing them..

Yes! The savox 1256TG titanium geared servo is my choice for the race truggy i have plans to build in the near future.

I am running savox servos in several of my rigs and they are amazing! Do get the glitch buster that is recommended though as I did have a slight glitching problem.

I am running savox servos in several of my rigs and they are amazing! Do get the glitch buster that is recommended though as I did have a slight glitching problem.

Apart from being powerful, do they last a long time as well (important as I don't want to keep replacing). What's a glitch buster?

Mine have held up just fine but I havent had them for more than a couple of months. I have never heard of anyone complain about one dying on them.

A glitch buster is basically just a capacitor that plugs into an open channel on your receiver. It stops all of the servos from twitching. Some receivers need it more than others but it is a good thing to have on any receiver in my opinion.

I use the Savox 1256TG in my Savage XL as the steering servo. I have had it for over a year now and have had no issues at all with it. It has no problem turning the wheels lock to lock even when the truck is not moving. It's a great servo well worth the money.

Back