Making these ESC's bidirectional

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laukejas

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I am building an ROV, and I'm using A2212 motors for thrusters, run from 3V LiPo. I have a bunch of these generic ESCs from Aliexpress (www.aliexpress.com/item/4001204888055.html), which work great, except for one thing: with default firmware configuration, they only run in one direction. But I need two directions for my thrusters, and be able to switch from one to another in an instant. Some more expensive ESCs that support BLHeli have this feature by default. Simonk firmware also seems to support this, at least according to this tutorial (www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQX7IIdAtI). Thing is, I do not know what kind of firmware these generic yellow ESCs I have are running, an whether I can flash Simonk or BLHeli to them. I cut one open, and the chip doesn't have any markings. I have no idea if it is Atmega or something different (it doesn't look like Atmega, though). Here is a pic:

I have consulted this list of common ESCs (docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13tMlu5ldLNpZXwbe6UhDHJhcgTVuljm8HDiDp9WO9Pk/edit), but I can't find anything at all that would look like mine. It is very strange - this model I have seems to be like the number 1 when you search for "ESC" in Aliexpress or Ebay, yet I can't find any info on it whatsoever.

Can anyone advise, how do I flash Simonk or BLHeli onto these ESCs? If that is not possible, then perhaps there are other similarly cheap ESCs that support bi-directional control for 3S motor? I've done my search, but I can't seem to find anything... Thanks!

Back