Discount R/C - Buyer Beware!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Update: 3/10/2022 - I've been contacted by what appears to be a new/current owner of "DiscountRCParts.com". It seems the old owner may have closed the store/ changed owners/ or something else - I don't know the factual story. But it seems the domain was possibly left to expire and then re-registered, possibly by the new owner, in August 2020.

UPDATE:

On August 16th I finally received the Proline Steering kit, only 15 days after I sent payment.

Note To Anyone That Cares:

This is a summary more then anything, as well as getting the facts straight.

1. The original deal was between Jason Torres aka Atomikmaxx on eBay. Jason is the brother of Lionel who owns DiscountRCParts AND Continuum Designs.

2. The payment was sent to the Continuum Designs/DiscountRCParts paypal account. I guess his brother uses this aswell making it a three party account.

3. DiscountRCParts advertises here on RCNT - paid by the Continuum Designs/DiscountRCParts paypal account.

4. Given the info I had, the paypal account being the same and the fact the part I purchased from eBay was R/C related just as DiscountRCParts is an online R/C parts store I did assume they where one in the same. After receiving the very unprofessional and rude responses I did take it upon myself to revail my dealing with the party(s) involved.

5. Lionel took it upon himself to not reply to me via email or PM but instead jump right into a flaming war against me and the rest of the community. Had Lionel stated this was not his dealings BEFORE he posted his flame war the thread would have been deleted LONG before it even reached page 2. Instead the thread turned, and went from me not getting the part I ordered from him brother to a flame war between members here and the way Lionel (owner of DiscountRCParts) conducted himself.

6. I've stated many times the start of the deal was a mistake on my end because I did assume they where one in the same, yet again I make clear this thread ignored the original issue and moved on to the way Lionel runs his business, his actions, and attitude here on the forum.

7. Slow shipping and items being sent back to Jason is not an uncommon practice, just check his eBay feedback.

8. Since the day Lionel registered here I have yet to receive a single piece of e-mail from Jason.

9. This thread gives plenty of reasons of why I will not ever buy from Jason again on eBay, as well from Lionel due to his insults to myself and members of this site.

Well where to start? Lets see, Discount R/C has advertised with RCNT a time or two and because of this I've choose to try their company out. I happened to find a Proline Steering Kit for the T-Maxx that they where selling on eBay. The price was $38.99 including shipping, from what I found else where this is a pretty good deal, so I took advantage of the "Buy It Now" option and paid for the item in full via Paypal no more then 5 minutes after the auction had ended - this was August 1st.

Well time passed, and I almost even forgot about the item, I knew I had ordered it but didn't pay much attention to when I did. I kept telling myself any day now any day. Well on August 13th I finally looked up the payment info on Paypal and noticed I paid for the item almost two weeks ago - HOLY CRAP two weeks for an item that weighs less then a pound coming from Texas, granted Texas and Indiana are not the closest of states, but hell I can send items to customers via UPS GROUND and get it to them no longer then 3-4 days. So I sent this e-mail to the address shown in the paypal records:

"Dear Discount R/C,

On August 1st I placed a "Buy It Now" bid on your eBay auction (item no. 3140772611 - Proline Steering for the T-Maxx) as of August 12th I have still yet to receive the item OR any reply back from your company. This item was paid in full no more then five minutes after the auction ended, why have I not received this item or heard anything back from you?

It's getting closer to being almost two weeks now, please contact me ASAP about your lack of communication and delays of shipping this item. If not I will leave appropriate feedback on eBay and my site www.RCNitroTalk.com even if you are an advertiser.

Kind Regards,

-Michael Tabor
www.RCNitroTalk.com
[email protected]"

Not to bad of an email - am I right or wrong? Well this is the reply I receive:

"whhoooooaa there king kong..... i think you got your bananas crossed there! *lol*

first--- you're "threating" ( if you can call that weak little" i'm gonna post on my site...." thing a threat) the wrong torres. I don't know who you are but I'm gonna make a guess that my brother lionel deals with you on discountrcpcarts. We both use the same pay pal account and in fact that is where i get my rc stuff to sell.

so..... bash whatever you want... it's not my deal.

now if you're up to listening to reason, your pacakage got returned in the mail to me. I have no clue why and they can't tell me either. I re-sent it but this time i tracked it so if there any mistakes we'll know about it. I did not get any information requests from you on this item and when i got it back i just tried to get it out as fast as i could to save time. It's not my sole job to run the play by play for you; an inquiry prior to your threating letter might have been nice and for sure would have been helpful.

Jason Torres
Continuum Designs"

Hmmm, this quickly became very interesting. Reading the very first line of the reply I knew this was anything but a professional business. I could be wrong, or maybe I could of worded it different, but I didn't see my e-mail as threatening (correct me if I'm wrong). However I've found the only way to deal with deadbeats on eBay is by letting them know your unhappy about the deal and negative feedback is on the way.

Ok like I said Jason's reply was very interesting from the start, and only gets better. For the ones just skimming through let me point out a few KEY statements Jason has made in the very first e-mail.

· "your pacakage got returned in the mail to me. I have no clue why and they can't tell me either"

· "It's not my sole job to run the play by play for you" - I'll hit on this now...is it his job to give me a play by play for me, absoulty not. Is it his job to contact the customer when a problem arraises...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say YES!

Ok from here on out it gets even better. I too ship many things out to customers for my full time job so I know a thing of two about shipping services. Let me take a few lines out of my reply back to Jason:

"I find it extremely ironic that the package just so happened to "get returned without a reason". In fact I don't know of a single postal service that will return a package back to the sender without giving some sort of reason printed on the box."

and

"None the less my experience dealing with yours, your brothers, or whosever's it is has been anything but pleasant."

Ok remember his first reply, and the point I made about this company being anything but professional, well here's a few lines from his reply back to me, the first line being the very start of his reply:

"no one is here to give you a pleasant experience... if pleasant is what you're after , might I suggest a strip club"

and

"I NEVER stated they did not indicate on the package why it was returned. However both myself and the postal service were at a loss as to why it was returned.....that was due in large part because it was "return to sender address unknown/ does not exist". The mystery was that not only did the address on the envelope match the one you gave me on the payment, it was legible too. All they suggested was maybe i start generating pre printed tags so there was no issue in the future."

Key points here:

· I NEVER stated they did not indicate on the package why it was returned. However both myself and the postal service were at a loss as to why it was returned.....that was due in large part because it was "return to sender address unknown/ does not exist". - back to key point one made above ("your package got returned in the mail to me. I have no clue why and they can't tell me either") note the line "I have no clue why and they can't tell me either" His first e-mail he claims he hasn't a clue why, then his next e-mail he's got an answer. If they gave a reason on the package as to why the item was sent back, then wouldn't you know WHY it was sent back.

· "return to sender address unknown/ does not exist" along with "envelope match the one you gave me on the payment, it was legible too." - Ok lets keep in mind here, Jason did not bother to e-mail me during all of this, not until I sent him an email on the 13th. So now we're dealing with a non-existent address or unknown, so instead of contacting me to let me know whats going on or even verify my address Jason just re-sends the item to the exact same address, even though is first attempt was "legible too". THAT'S what gets me, it's not the fact the package was sent back for whatever reason, or that it's been almost two weeks since I've paid for an item I don't have, its the fact that there was no email from Jason letting me know the item was shipped (no big deal - I don't always do this when I send items to my customers as well), but when a problem came about such as a non-existent address I still do not hear anything from Jason. Common sense should of told him to at least double check the address with me in case of a typo on my part, or maybe even an email letting me know what's going on and why it's taking so long. Instead he re-sends it using the exact same address.

So whats the point of this thread? Simply, be leery of ordering from this company. The act very unprofessional, they are anything but courtes to their customers, and god help you if a problem comes up - considering this is all over a steering kit I could only imagine what would happen if it was over a full kit. So I say now, Buyer beware!

As of right now I still have not received the steering kit, but I can assure you this - I won't be buying from this company ever again.

-Michael

Last edited:
What an butthead!

And what a poopy way to run a business! Cocky and arrogant are not the buzzwords you should think of when buying from someone.

yea they are anything but professional those people couldnt send you a single email to verify poop i can do better than that those lowsy no good slack off its called common sense you dont do the same thing twice if it doesn't work the first time next time send it to me i live in texas i can send it to you

Dear Mike,
We received you package back in the mail today. Please contact us to verify your address.

Sorry for the delay.

Lets see, this took me less than 1 minute to type and sure says a lot.

When a package is returned to me undeliverable I ALWAYS resend it in the original package / envelope that it was returned in so the customer understands we aren't FRIGGING LIER'S!

I think these guys went to the Ballistic Battery School of Customer Service.

<sarcasm> Hey now, these guys are doing you a favor by having a business that they allow you to buy from. You're only reaction is to cop a major 'tude when they don't imediately jump to ship your package. You should be far more grateful for the services that they're giving you the privilidge(sp?) to pay for. </sarcasm>

I'm guessing that these have their own business because Mickey Dee's wouldn't hire them. I thought Tower Hobbies was bad...

I'm a Postal supervisor, and whenever a package gets returned we 99% of the time put the reason on the package. So he is talkin out his ass!

Well, looks like their called DISCOUNT R/C for a reason...I guess the discounts are the only way they can get customers. I think that is the worst customer service I've ever seen and ever will see. People at kinko's are even nicer than that!

I've had 4 bad shipping experiences. Whenever an item gets returned, I always take a picture of the problem and ask the customer if he knows why. 3 out of the 4 times was the customer's mistake, and they understood the delay. One time, it was the guys boss who refused to take personal deliveries at work.

Poor customer service I'd say. He deserves the bad press.

Originally posted by FastEddy
Dear Mike,
We received you package back in the mail today. Please contact us to verify your address.

Sorry for the delay.

Absolutely Eddy.

That is flat out an unprofessional way to run a business. A superior and insolent demeanor is not something you should ever present to a customer. Your email was polite and to the point.

He's a peepee.

You don't mention a website. What URL hyperlink should we not click EVER?

I just don't understand people. You know, whenever I use ebay to auction stuff off (which is once every other blue moon), I make sure to communicate with the buyer/seller as often as I can. When I auctioned both my HPI nitro MT and Nitro OB4 I sent e-mails like crazy to keep them informed. I always have excellent communication. Hell I e-mailed the guy just to tell him about when the package was gonna get to his house and where it was while it was still in transit.

People never cease to amaze me. It doesn't hurt to have good customer service....

I just did a member search on ebay.. username: (discountrc).. if this is the same people, the status is now SUSPENDED.. :) you must not have been the first Woodie.. peace!

Originally posted by FastEddy
Dear Mike,

Sorry for the delay.

Lets see, this took me less than 1 minute to type and sure says a lot.

When a package is returned to me undeliverable I ALWAYS resend it in the original package / envelope that it was returned in so the customer understands we aren't FRIGGING LIER'S!

I think these guys went to the Ballistic Battery School of Customer Service.

So I am not the only one that had poor service with Ballistic? Man what a lame way to reply to your emails! Thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by wdavidhicks

Absolutely Eddy.

That is flat out an unprofessional way to run a business. A superior and insolent demeanor is not something you should ever present to a customer. Your email was polite and to the point.

He's a peepee.

You don't mention a website. What URL hyperlink should we not click EVER?

The url is the same as the name: www.discountrcparts.com

Originally posted by indyjohnny
I just did a member search on ebay.. username: (discountrc).. if this is the same people, the status is now SUSPENDED.. :) you must not have been the first Woodie.. peace!

This I don't know anything about and I wouldn't say they are the same people just because it's almost impossible to find out if it was the same people.

-Michael

There is really no reason to reply to this, but I'm going to anyway in hopes that Jason or whoever reads it and knows Mike wasn't just making threats.

Negative feedback like this hurts a business because it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of potential customers. Do you guys remember TwistedNinja's feedback on Hot Bodies Customer Support. I love my buggy, but after reading that I was kind of leary of their products. As an example, I bought the Kyosho diff gears for my buggy and not the HB ones. That's $20 they didn't get from me.

Anyway, discountrcparts.com has big red flag up in my mind.

Good Job Jason,
Rob

i just noticed a new user signed up by the name of "discountman". makes you curious huh.

I'd like to respond to this misguided post before any half truths become bigger than they already are....

The most important thing that I can address is that mike didn't buy anything from discountrcpart.com.... whether on ebay or in the store. I repeat.... he bought nothing from us. He failed to mention that in this post.

my brother jason sells on ebay under the handle atomikmaxx... not atomikmaxx sponsored by discount rcparts. I sell stuff to him at a discount and what he does with it i could care less. He is not employed by discount rc.... he is not an offical affiliate of discount rc and in no way is associated or represents the company.

mike took it upon himself to ASSUME this. Mikes payment went through our joint pay pal account for payment only.... and no it's not even a discount rcparts paypal address either.

the bottom line here is that mike has made an error.....I would like to see the reciepts and such showing purchase from discount rc. You can't cause he DID NOT BUY THIS FROM US.

it's like gettin mad at great planes distributing cause your local LHS guy is an butthead and jerked you the wrong way! *lol*

I took over as the managing influence behind the shop about 4 months ago and yes there were some issues out there that I am trying to get fixed.

Make no mistake..... this post is in error! any part of this post was not dealing with discount rcparts.....I now have access to all the emails and i noticed alot of gaps in what is posted on here... not the least of which is that none of these emails was sent from the discountrcparts.com email domain.

that's right..... all emails came from continuumdesigns which my brother is affilated with ( as in is employed in a part time position) and there is no mention of discountrc by anyone other than mike!

mike i'd be very interested in your response. might i also add that the pay pal account used here has an over 300 rating on it..... so which would you rather do; start your own second account from nothing or use a well established account???

Well - i have been silently observing, but now i am speaking up.

First - i am biased towards mike as i know him personally, and he is not the type to mention anything that isnt 100% true.

Second - discountman, if your last post is correct, it still leaves two very important statements.
1. Regardless as to whether your brother is employed by u or not, there is still some combination of business here. It is YOUR responsability as a supplier to make sure your distributors are not harming your reputation. If everyone stops visiting your distributors, then you will have no one to supply to, and will quickly go out of business. In case you are wondering, i have a business mgmnt degree, and this is a standard fact in all basic lessons.
2. This post alone, shows absolute utter lack of any common business sense, rudeness, and extreme unprofessionalism. To think that you have a successful business with this attitude towards customers astounds me.
-------------------
Finally - On a personal note - based upon your post, I will now encourage EVERYONE I meet to NEVER EVER purchase anything from you directly, your brother, or any of your distributors. I have the ability to reach 229,000 people every week in print, and over 1.2 million every week online, so trust me - I am a threat. Thank you.

I'm with Nitroaddict on this one! If you wanted to run a good business the first thing I would tell you is don't be involved with your brother in any way! And yes you may have good feedback on paypal but you should use that for you and have your bro get a new account. Because know your bro may have made that 300 rating go down FAST. But hey do as you whish I will not buy from you (or your Bro.)

I just checked with my lawyer and we bear no liablility here whatsoever.

If my company (discountrc) starts ripping people off anc acting like jerks, BY LAW our suppliers can't be touched....period.

a business or a person is responsible for their own actions in the matter. Mike didn print untrue statements; he ASSUMED that he bought from discount rc SIMPLY because the ad payment and the account he paid to were the same account. FYI that same account is not even a discountrcparts account!

no where in the transaction is it implied ( either directly or indirectly) that there is an association with discountrc.... no where cause there is none. I can pay my personal bills with pay pal if i want..... it's just money.

example.... if sell an item to mike ( or anyone on the board) and they decide they don't want it and resell it on ebay... and then scam the new buyer.... that new buyer has no legal course of action against us. none at all.

that is all that happened; the item was sold for resale elsewhere.I can accept responsibility when it's something we need to but there is no responsibility here for us..... this was a person to person deal. Ask mike to produce all the emails sent....check and see where they were sent from; not discountrc. ask to see the pay pal receipt...where did the payment go..... not discountrc....

blame jason...fine... blame mike fine..... don't slam a company that had nothing to do with the transaction. If we had liablility here, believe me i'd make the correction right now. but we don't.

nitro addict, I'd prefer to keep this between me and mike right now until we can resolve this. I don't consider you a threat or an enemy...i'm just looking to correct a wrong here.

Originally posted by discountman
nitro addict, I'd prefer to keep this between me and mike right now until we can resolve this. I don't consider you a threat or an enemy...i'm just looking to correct a wrong here.

first - u must remember that we are a family here. by having a conflict with mike, u create a rift with myself too.

second - the easiest way to reslove this would have been to simply say, in a professional manner, that you apologize for any inconvience your distributor has caused and will relay the information to him promptly....and.....follow up with your distributor to make sure he solves the problem with the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back