disapointed in emaxx run time. is this normal?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i got 2 venom packs at 3000mah a piece (nearly new only been charged like 3 times) charged them on the intelli peak charger at 2 amps. put them in the truck and almost immediately the sensor was saying low receiver battery. ran for about 5 to 8 minutes before it started slowing down. i was running in first gear most of the time, with a few second gear runs.

is this a normaly run time for the truck? i have larger tires then stock and dual steering servos.

this is the older maxx with the orange evx. any ideas?

that runtime sounds about right. You have to step up to a few 5000 mah packs to get any amount of runtime with monster trucks like that because they take so much power. You should see the runtimes on the Novak HV Maxx systems. Even with 8000 mah LiPo batteries it's suprisingly short because it's such a powerful motor.

Don't worry though, there's something coming your way complete with batteries, and it will get about an hour of runtime on one pack :)

i temped everything when i stopped

batts 140
evx 150
motors 120
is this normal?

Sounds pretty normal especially if you are running larger tires then stock, did you change your gearing when you went with the larger tires? if not that will put a heavier load on the entire system, and that will probably give you give you reduced run times, I personally have an older e maxx with a novak 6.5 HV system and with my 2 3300mah 7 cell batteries I get about 15 - 20 minutes run time.

Yeah, that sounds right Blake. The first time I took my wifes EMaxx out for a spin I was surprised that I only got like 15 minutes or so with 4600/5000 packs. I didnt' expect it to be that short either.

i can't believe a runtime that short is normal. On my e-savage with the Novak HV 6.5 and 2 8000Hv lipo's i can get over 30 minutes with it. I normally drive it for 2-3 15 minute sessions before i need to recharge. The lowest my batteries have been is 7.0V

maybe the gearing is to tall, everything is stock except the tires but it wont pull dead stop wheelies, it lifts the front end a little but not up to the bar. i have to hit reverse then forward to get it up, and that is hard on the diffs.

I thought the slipper was to loose but i tightened it up and still no wheelies.

it has alot of power though, or so i thought, climbs over curbs and stuff no problem.

anyone know the stock pinion size and where i can get smaller ones? or should i go bigger spur?

on the bright side though, I'm happy with the maneuverability, the 4 wheel steering is wicked i can turn around in almost the length of the truck. and the dual rate springs are very nice, i can come down off the yard, over the curb, and onto the street without even a bobble. i have yet to traction roll it, with the super wide tires it just spins around and slides.

its going to be a good base for my project, but i HAVE to have better runtimes then that. anyone tried lead acid batteries? like the small 6v ones or a motorcycle battery? may be to heavy...

advice?

I have the big old moab xl's with my 6.5 hv system and I have it geared way down running a 76/10, I am not saying that is the ratio you should run but I would definitely go with a smaller pinion or a larger spur gear. if you want longer run times go brushless with lipo batteries, lipo batteries will be my next upgrade...

So a brushless lipo combo gives longer run time?

Back