Diff bet 13 & 15 tooth pinion gear w/ 42 spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger A. Cucal Jr.

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hi guys, i need help from experience driver out there.
I have 13 & 15 tooth pinion gear which I want to match w/ 42 tooth spur gear, engine to be use is Novarossi P5XLT & novarossi Clio P5 and will be using efra 9901 & 21 short manifold. Now, the question is which of these two pinion gear should I used in a bit compressed track having few normal jumps, is it the 13 or the 15 tooth pinion gear? w/c one is for top end & w/c is for bottom end?
thanks in advance guys.... -Alex

Id start out with the 15 and if you think you need more acceleration coming out of turns then switch to the 13. However the difference between a 13 and 15 is minimal. probably wont see a lot of difference but it will be bit noticeable.

Like Rolex said, the bigger the PINION gear (smaller gear) the less revolutions it has to make to turn the SPUR gear, thus a higher top speed and less torque. Whereas if you have a SMALLER PINION gear, and a larger SPUR gear, you will have a lower top speed but much more torque- for example, rock crawlers have a SMALLER PINION gear, and a larger SPUR gear, they don't go very fast, but they can go anywhere. If your still stuck here's a page on the forum that'll help:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gear-ratio-basics/

As for your situation, I'd try out both and see which one you like the most :)

Back