Did you know

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by humboldtblazer
"At least my hobby shop hasnt said "dude, we can't sell u anything anymore, u need to go spend ur money on other things, lol""

Thats when you know you have a problem!

this post. why didnt u just use the quote button, lol.

Now that you bring up the bandwidth issue on average how much bandwidth does RCNT use? Just curious.

mcvickj - RCNT has been using about 15.5gigs a month, though last month we were about 300MB away from reaching 16gigs.

-Michael

Originally posted by WoodiE

One area being bandwidth - regardless of what you may read on other sites bandwidth is anything BUT cheap.
-Michael

But I read on another site that it only costs like $10.00 a month for bandwith...I feel like I am being lied to.

Yes I am just joking :wedgie:

I wonder what would make an avatar more bandwidth intensive than say a sig? Is it because they are animated gifs? They are small so it doesn't make sense to me.

Originally posted by nitro dave

But I read on another site that it only costs like $10.00 a month for bandwith...I feel like I am being lied to.

Yes I am just joking :wedgie:

LMAO - Yes I know your joking... You know the funny part about that comment. It's the fact that the same person who made that comment, bashed the hell out of the guy that runs hpisavage.com who was paying the same exact money, $10 a month.

I find it very funny and ironic how it's a different story when the shoes on the other foot, isn't?

-Michael

:OMG: I was guessing around 8 or 9 GB.

Originally posted by WoodiE
mcvickj - RCNT has been using about 15.5gigs a month, though last month we were 300MB away from reaching 16gigs.

-Michael

can you post a link as I feel like I am missing the story.

humboldt - PM me for more info about "the story"

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
I wonder what would make an avatar more bandwidth intensive than say a sig? Is it because they are animated gifs? They are small so it doesn't make sense to me.

First when the choice was made to rid avatars from all members w/o a certain post count, there was a choice at hand. Members could keep the avatars and lose sigs, or keep sigs and lose avatars. During that time members wanted Sig's over an avatar.

Secondly images in a persons sig are mainly hosted on another server, not RCNT (yes I know now with the use of the gallery people can use RCNT to host their sigs). Thus bandwidth was not our problem.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
humboldt - PM me for more info about "the story"

Aww post it here - who cares? If you do please post the entire thread as I find that even better. The first couple lines was about his site, from there on out it was all about "another" site. So much for a progress report. LoL

-Michael

aww shucks - here is a link to the post.

viewtopic.php

dammit - i can't due to the filters.

Here is a post from another forum about bandwidth, which makes me wonder...who is telling the truth?

Well boys.. I think all the doubters can put their doubts to rest.. You all have helped grow banned to over 190 users in two months. I think its safe to say we are going to be here for a little while.

We have well over 5000 posts so far with 500 threads as of this writing.. I only see us growing bigger and better in the future. I believe a large part of our fast growth is because of the great member base that helped me get this place going. Then combine all the new peps that keep it growing and continue to add to our growing number of great r/c folks.

I truly feel its not just the way this site is ran that sets us apart from other sites. Instead its the superb group of seasoned hobbyist that spend their time here to help provide quick and correct information to other hobbyist.. Anyway thanks again to all you members out there.

One last thing I want to touch on is something I have seen recently that is very disturbing. Seems there is a trend starting were some sites are trying to make their members think it costs a lot of money to run a forum. This is simply not true it costs a lot of a person’s time but not much money. The actual cost to run this forum is about 10 bucks a month for bandwidth and space. We also have lots and lots of room to grow within that 10 bucks a month. Some sites use software that they incur a cost in the beginning but that’s it a one time cost normally about 100-150 bucks. Still that is the admins choice because there are numerous open source forums available for Free .

I personally find it very disturbing that these sites are plain and simply lying to their users and trying to pimp their users to fill their pockets. These admins of these sites are trying to make their users think that they incur these great costs when it’s simply not true. So think before you start giving donations when you are more than likely throwing your money away. I want to try and set an example in that area. So please don't be fooled into giving money to someone that says they need it for their site. When it’s more than likely going in their pocket instead of into their site. Last if they offer to give you more space for images or an email address or start a poll.. Stop and ask yourself. Which one of these things can I not do for free at Banned R/C? ....

is it trilordy?
guess not

WoodiE you contribution pimp! Like I always say "Don't hate the Player hate the game......." Sounds like someone is real buthurt about the fact that the board is dead because I go check nothings happening. I give my money freely to WoodiE to buy 40oz's and lapdances if he so chooses to do with the money. Dude forgot to put in the cost of a Server and upgrading hardware....and time is worth money the last time I checked. He's a hater and there goes my account over there but who cares. Wah Wah Wah

humboldtblazer - That was pretty much my reply to, though not so comical. Donations are just that DONATIONS - myself nor anyone else here makes ANYONE give even a single penny. Will we accept them, yes.

As I've replied to an earlier thread - You guys really do "fill my pockets" in fact I just went out and bought a new Harley for my birthday, along with that a few 40oz's.....hey my BMW needs new tires, you guys mind sending more money? LoL

-Michael

I was curious who X was using that would give him the same type of space and bandwidth to run a site like RCNT so I did a whois on his site. This is what I found.

Domain Name: ********.COM
Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS5.HOSTGATOR.COM
Name Server: NS6.HOSTGATOR.COM
Updated Date: 06-apr-2003
Creation Date: 04-apr-2003
Expiration Date: 04-apr-2005

If you go
here you will see that the $10 package only give you 50MB data storage and 1500MB data transfer. I think X is the one who is lying to his users. 50MB of data storage is nothing for a large website.

smart one MC.

Okay - and from now on, since WoodiE is a contribution pimp, we will all be known as "WoodiE's Contribution Ho's!"

Now get your arses on the street and make WoodiE some g-damn money!!!!

Originally posted by mcvickj

If you go
here you will see that the $10 package only give you 50MB data storage and 1500MB data transfer. I think X is the one who is lying to his users. 50MB of data storage is nothing for a large website.

mcvickj - Thats just it, he fails to mention that fact that we're about 10 times the size of his site, and not just in member size. Hell when RCNT first started we were using a $3.95 a month plan.

If RCNT used his lil $10 a plan we'd be online for less then a WEEK then either shut down or forced to pay crazy overage costs. Though you'll never hear him say that, you're always going to hear negative from him.

-Michael

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
smart one MC.
Okay - and from now on, since WoodiE is a contribution pimp, we will all be known as "WoodiE's Contribution Ho's!"

LoL - Ohh man "WoodiE's Contribution Ho's!" should be the contributors forum new name!

-Michael

Back