Did I burn out my motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoMamaLlama

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Flying
Hey everyone. I was just out using the ARRMA Typhon buggy. Ran into something, and the motor did what it is supposed to and slipped gear to prevent burning/wearing of it. But after that, the motor smells of burnt rubber/electronic. And when ran, you can hear something rubbing on it inside the motor. I checked all the power cables, battery, ESC, none of that smelt nor looked strange. Only the motor had the smell. Did I burn the motor or break it?
The motor is brushed by the way.
The plastic and case is not burnt or melted either

pull motor take apart if possible lube motor bearing check commutator then reassemble

I
pull motor take apart if possible lube motor bearing check commutator then reassemble
tried getting the motor out, when I pull the pull tab, the motor module seems to be stuck, I got the drive shaft and the elastic straps out

Do you see anything wrong or what I can do to get it out @tntpoof ?

Attachments

• 89d06fb1-e461-447f-bd7a-8a37c3c99413.jpeg
    89d06fb1-e461-447f-bd7a-8a37c3c99413.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 50
  • c480fc9b-f68e-4697-b78e-b31f0f8a7a0a.jpeg
    c480fc9b-f68e-4697-b78e-b31f0f8a7a0a.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 74
The module sometimes is really hard to get out of there because of dust and small pebbles. Slip a screw driver under the tab and then another behind the module to slide it out. Again it can be a pain in the arse but it will come out.
My advice would be to go with brushless system and run it on 2s. The Arrma Mega versions are pretty much entry level but with the right parts, they can be modded. Mine is capable of running on 4s but I run it on 2s.
Keep in mind, it's far from the Typhon 6s model so a lot needs modded if you use a brushless system.
The brushed motors don't last long at all.

Those modules are a pain to get out. It's a terrible design. Dust and dirt gets down in the channels and jams it up. I place a wedge under the tab to hold it up, then use a small pry bar working each side a little at a time till it frees up.

When you get it out, clean those channels real good and put a little dry lube on them like graphite or something. It may help, but I haven't tried that yet.

TP beat me to it 😜

It's a good system when it's all put together but a terrible system when trying to take it out. I struggle with mine all the time.

It's a good system when it's all put together but a terrible system when trying to take it out. I struggle with mine all the time.
Exactly. It is a good idea, but the fact that dirt gets in there just ruins it.

But it would actually be easier to just bolt it in 😉

The module sometimes is really hard to get out of there because of dust and small pebbles. Slip a screw driver under the tab and then another behind the module to slide it out. Again it can be a pain in the arse but it will come out.
My advice would be to go with brushless system and run it on 2s. The Arrma Mega versions are pretty much entry level but with the right parts, they can be modded. Mine is capable of running on 4s but I run it on 2s.
Keep in mind, it's far from the Typhon 6s model so a lot needs modded if you use a brushless system.
The brushed motors don't last long at all.
I finally got it out, it looked very clean like it was just scrubbed with a wipe, strange. Also with the brush less, is it worth it? I have been thinking of it for a while

I agree. The Typhon is a fun car to drive but I believe out of all of my bashers, I've replaced more on this one than any of them.
I don't drive much anymore but I believe the sand dunes are calling my name.
I finally got it out, it looked very clean like it was just scrubbed with a wipe, strange. Also with the brush less, is it worth it? I have been thinking of it for a while
I would have to say no, I would just save your money and get the 3s or 6s version.
But if you don't mind wrenching and buying parts then yes. It definitely runs like a raped ape. Several times I've had to replace the spur gear because it quickly was destroyed but I figured out it was a bent motor mount. I also replaced the spur gear with a metal one.
I bought mine for an experiment project. I wanted to see just how far I could take it before breaking parts.
Running it on 2s with a hobbywing system it runs pretty good.
I would have to say no, I would just save your money and get the 3s or 6s version.
But if you don't mind wrenching and buying parts then yes. It definitely runs like a raped ape. Several times I've had to replace the spur gear because it quickly was destroyed but I figured out it was a bent motor mount. I also replaced the spur gear with a metal one.

Last edited:
Brushless is definitely the way to go. Is this your only RC? You would need a good charger, a couple LiPo's, and a brushless motor and ESC. I saw you were researching chargers. Did you get one? If so, which one?

The Typhon Mega definitely has potential and I love to wrench so breaking parts doesn't bother me.
I would say go for it and get a brushless system for it. Most importantly follow @WickedFog advise.

I agree. The Typhon is a fun car to drive but I believe out of all of my bashers, I've replaced more on this one than any of them.

I bought mine for an experiment project. I wanted to see just how far I could take it before breaking parts.

I just it up and this is what's inside, dirt or motor dust? Also, that sounds good!
Brushless is definitely the way to go. Is this your only RC? You would need a good charger, a couple LiPo's, and a brushless motor and ESC. I saw you were researching chargers. Did you get one? If so, which one?
Yes, I'm getting one soon, it will be the Hota D6 .

Attachments

• f4271def-333d-4b5b-a7b9-760ab9e46ddf.jpeg
    f4271def-333d-4b5b-a7b9-760ab9e46ddf.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 25
Honestly, I wouldn't mess with it and just buy yourself a brushless system and Lipo's. I highly recommend you read up on the Lipo's though.
You could take the motor out and use a low-pressure air or even hook it up and put the motor in a cup of water. That's how I break in my brushed motors for my crawlers. I run mine at low speed for about 1/2 hour. If you smelled burnt wire smell then you probably burnt it up. I mentioned before, on bashers, brushed motors don't last.

Probably just dirt. Hard to say. Brushed motors in go fast RC's just don't have a long life expectancy. That is unless it is a rebuildable brushed motor. RTR brushed systems are just meant to sell RC's cheap. Strange though, they still want to rake you over the coals for them 😜

Excellent choice for the charger 😉

Also, I have the 3S version of the car

I almost got the Typhon when I got Breydon the Granite. I'm a buggy fan, but he is a monster truck fan, and he won.

LOL they always do bro.
I plan on taking mine out to the sand dunes when I take my baja.