Deans on 8S

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So outside temperature seems to play a huge roll in how hot the connectors get. Back when it was blazing temps with high humidity I was geting anywhere from 120-160F temp readings on the fake Deans connectors. After doing a test run with original deans and only getting 118F on a pretty warm but fairly nice day I decided to run the Fake Deans again only reason is because I wanted to add a Watt meter to the K8 to find out what kind of Amperage spikes were dealing with. Well the Watt meter said my max Amp draw was 238A. Pretty beefy but heres the thing. Its a beautiful day outside. 79F and low humidity. The Fake Deans were only at 98F and 101F with peak draws upwards of 238A.

Now I did test what would happen if I ran both LiPo packs through a single Fake Deans connector and melted it within 5 minutes. So far my hypothesis is that If you're trying to run a single 8S pack through a Dean connector it will fail. So far I'm also pretty sure it would fail if it was a genuine deans connector also. That being said even the fake Deans seem to be able to handle dual 4S packs as long as its not hot as balls outside. I need more testing in hot and humid weather with the genuine deans but Ill have to wait for it to get hot again and I have to find somewhere new to run as the house next door to me that doesn't have any fence just sold and has people moving in to it now. They probably dont want me tearing up their yard :hehe:

Oh and I want to figure out how to use my Eagle Tree data logger because its interesting to know what the max amp draw can peak at but what I really want to know is average Amp draw on the K8

That was an interesting read. I have been slowly converting to XT and EC5 mainly because I like the ease of connecting and disconnecting. My son can't disconnect the Deans at all, so every time he runs his cars that use them I have to disconnect those for him. With the XT and EC5 he can do that himself. It's all part of my plan to get him more into doing things himself with his RC's, and even he gets frustrated with the Deans plugs.

That was an interesting read. I have been slowly converting to XT and EC5 mainly because I like the ease of connecting and disconnecting. My son can't disconnect the Deans at all, so every time he runs his cars that use them I have to disconnect those for him. With the XT and EC5 he can do that himself. It's all part of my plan to get him more into doing things himself with his RC's, and even he gets frustrated with the Deans plugs.
I totally understand the appeal of the XT and EC connectors. In the end I may end up choosing to run XT90s for my 1/5 scale depending on how the genuine Deans hold up in the hot and humid weather. I dont think Ill ever switch from using Deans on 1/8 scale and smaller stuff though myself just because of how easy Deans are to solder. IMO they are the easiest, at least once you get the hang of doing them. They do probably have the highest learning curve to learn how to solder though, especially for ppl new to soldering. The new Deans connectors use a higher temp plastic now so that should help make them even easier to learn to solder now and it will help the plug hold up better under high loads where the connector temp may get top higher levels.

The overall point of this thread isnt really to try and persuade people in to using Deans though. Its more just me trying to separate fact from fiction concerning what the connectors are capable of because theyve gotten this horrible rap as being these super weak flaky connectors and I dont think they are so I'm just putting the theory to the test. We'll see what conclusions we can draw from the data once I've amassed enough of it :)

I totally understand the appeal of the XT and EC connectors. In the end I may end up choosing to run XT90s for my 1/5 scale depending on how the genuine Deans hold up in the hot and humid weather. I dont think Ill ever switch from using Deans on 1/8 scale and smaller stuff though myself just because of how easy Deans are to solder. IMO they are the easiest, at least once you get the hang of doing them. They do probably have the highest learning curve to learn how to solder though, especially for ppl new to soldering. The new Deans connectors use a higher temp plastic now so that should help make them even easier to learn to solder now and it will help the plug hold up better under high loads where the connector temp may get top higher levels.

The overall point of this thread isnt really to try and persuade people in to using Deans though. Its more just me trying to separate fact from fiction concerning what the connectors are capable of because theyve gotten this horrible rap as being these super weak flaky connectors and I dont think they are so I'm just putting the theory to the test. We'll see what conclusions we can draw from the data once I've amassed enough of it :)
Interesting findings, thanks for posting as I’ve currently bought into using Deans. Had my Vorza for a good few years now and it’s never been a problem running it on 6s, hence continuing with Deans.
Like you’ve said, as I already have many battery packs I also don’t want the ball ache of having to change them to something like XT.
Currently I only have 1/16, 1/10 and 1/8 rigs all running Deans, even changed a couple of my TRX-4’s so they run Deans (Amass) so all my batteries are compatible.
If I get something larger I’ll probably use XT though based on your findings and other peoples views.

Back