DavidB's (Bomb Pop RCs) race blog thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Thanks @BarnFabRC for the inspiration.

Next time I'll be racing is (hopefully) later this month @ Beach RC

Cars:
Traxxas Slash - Mod SCT or 2WD SCT class
Traxxas Rustler - Mod Truck or 2WD ST class
Associated B74.1D - 4WD 13.5 Buggy class
Losi Mini B - Mini B Open class
Tamiya TT02 - unsure of ATM

Tracks I go to:
The Track (Gaithersburg MD) - 1/10 indoor sealed clay - offroad
Beach RC (Myrtle Beach SC, when on vacation) 1/10 indoor hard packed dirt - offroad

Tracks I have planned to visit soon:
The Factory (York PA) - 1/10 indoor carpet - off-road
997 RC (Waynesburo PA) 1/10 indoor carpet off-road/on road
Richfeild Raceway 1/10 - indoor carpet - offroad
Bryan Davies (Port Deposit MD) - outdoor dirt off-road
Pit Stop Hobbies - outdoor dirt offroad
Lighting Buggies RC (Denton MD) - outdoor dirt off-road - for Mini trucks
Key City Hobbies - Frederick - Crawler and Drift

And lastly, been here a couple times but haven't raced their yet,
180 Raceway (Middle River MD) - indoor 1/10 on road carpet - to try to race my new TT02

PXL_20240207_015717285.jpg

PXL_20240311_005143633.jpg

Last edited:
Per my social posts:

Ordering parts. Getting everything up and running for Beach RC in a few weeks.

B74:
Sway bars
Glitch buster cap
Wing mount / buttons
Front bumper
(Front bumper screws and wing button screws)

Rustler:
Hot Racing Aluminum bellcrank
ProLine Bald Eagles MC Truck

Slash:
Aluminum rear hubs (Atomik RC on Amazon)

Mini B:
Losi Aluminum rear pivots

TT02:
2 sets of stock Tamiya tires on eBay. 23 bucks for 2 sets. Way cheaper than off-road tires!

Other needs I'm getting:
1UP Racing low pro bullets (TT02)
ProTek High Tack double sided tape (general needs)

180's season is ending soon so I'll wait till next season (early October) to get the tt02 racing for onroad carpet. Ie, getting USGT tires, sxt compound, 21.5 brushless system, body and parts.

Myrtle Beach for spring break. Beach RC off-road racing that Wednesday night. Gonna check out Bryan Davies this summer. And some club racing here and there @ Mimi's. Hoping to get to the factory next season to do some carpet. Haven't ran carpet since September
😬

#teamassociatedb74 #teamassociated #teamassociatedrc #traxxasslash #traxxasslash2wd #traxxas #traxxasrustler #traxxasrustlervxl #losirc #losiminib #tamiyatt02 #tamiya #rcracing #rccarracing #rccars #rconroad #rcoffroadracing #rcbashing #amainhobbies #absolutehobbyz #beachrchobbies #thetrackingaithersburg

431894254_380357501620333_3422126346964629602_n.jpg

Beach RC 2024 trip today

Will post pictures and videos tomorrow as I am too tired.

Got there around 3 for practice. Did 1 battery in the mini b (practice) did 1 battery in the slash (practice) and a half battery in the rustler (practice)

Mini B practice: nothing broke. Pretty fun out there.
Slash practice. Nothing broke. Fun with a 2wd sct. but I have to really really slow down in the turns because I do not generate enough grip to actually speed up. And my servo is slow.
Rustler practice. It was fun. Slicks in the rear and worn down street basher tires in the front and hooked up pretty good! What broke, rear shock tower screws backed out again. Tried super glue multiple times. Most likely the plastic for the trans case and chassis where the rear shock tower mounts, that plastic is stripped out.
B74 practice. Didn't go so well. My ESC was having issues. It would randomly cutout and would not send power to rx, and red light of death. Buddy behind the counter recailibrated it several times and worked again. Back on the track, once I landed from a jump, went out again.

He did a solder job and wiring job on my new esc. Some good solder job too! New XR10 Stock spec 100A esc.

RIP XR10 Pro Legacy ( 12-31-22 to 3-27-24 )
Apperantly that issue is popular with the XR Pros (and the newer G2s also)

100A esc, can run down to 10.5 motors so if I want to move to mod in the future, I would have to get a new esc. Most likely will go with a very basic 10BL120 SD.

Programming, I cannot use my current card which is the G1 LCD box. I would need the LCD box pro or OTA programmer so I will get that soon.

Got my buggy up and running right before racing started. Nice timing. And thanks to my buddy for getting me up and running. 140 bucks down the drain tho on that new ESC.

Cleaned off tires, FDJ Yellow Dot compound (let dry for 15 minutes and wipe off access) Man these cars were hooked! It was also raining outside so all of the moisture made it better. Everyone says this was the most grippy the track has been in a LONG time. Track layout was fun. Even tho because of my issues and very few / limited practice with the buggy earlier, I was actually driving pretty good.

Ill skip my qualifier stats because who want those.
Started first in the B Main. Dropped down to second and almost made that bump.
Only raced the buggy today. Could have raced the slash in Mod SCT but nah, running 2+ classes on dirt is too hard for me. If on carpet, its easily do-able. But with dirt because of tire prep, nah. We ran 4WD mod class. Mixed 13.5 Buggies and Mod buggies because Mod is making a come back and people have both so not enough to divide the classes.

Thats about it for right now. Will post more tomorrow. ;)

PXL_20240327_191040656.jpg
PXL_20240327_214445707.MP.jpg
PXL_20240327_222453358.jpg
PXL_20240327_223636917.MP.jpg
PXL_20240327_223642154.MP.jpg

PXL_20240327_230503314.jpg

PXL_20240327_231252979.MP.jpg

PXL_20240328_012338616.jpg

PXL_20240328_012614526.MP.jpg

Oh yea, buddy gave me a new wing and even cut it out for me. Really hoping to be back next year because racing is super fun and guys are EXTREMELY helpful

Used tape on the hot wire side (positive side) as I didn't have anything else to indicate which is which. Cause I DO NOT want to plug it in wrong. I will look at the manual later tomorrow. Pretty sure it has reverse polarity detection but don't wanna risk it.

beach rc 2024 mod buggy b main_page-0001.jpg

Last edited:
In the main, the buddy that helped me out, he was right below me in 3rd. That's his son. Pretty sure he is 9 years old. Great driver. He races all the classes there being 4wd, 2wd, 2wd SCT and stock slash.

Here his is social if you want to check him out. Awesome kid and dad. https://www.instagram.com/kingkillianrc?igsh=cmdvdXM3ejhmdDVn

Last edited:
Next race is next next Saturday.

Ill be racing my normal class, 4wd 13.5. Well it might be 13.5 and mod mixed class. Depends how much people. Seems like that is more popular now. And Ill bring out my rustler and see if we get any stadium trucks as my buddy says we need more older/vintage cars to race. They just had a huge Vintage showdown race today. Wanted to go but couldn't.

Something I need to figure out with the rustler is how to do my receiver wiring and how/where to mount my transponder at. Something and somewhere easy as I only have 1 and will be switching it from car to car after race. Not my fault mylaps transponders are expensive.

Back