DAMP SAND GO OR BAD

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo747

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi guy’s just wanted your thoughts on using a nitro rc on wet sand not soft sand my question is can you use your rc on damp sand I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube with there cars on the sand. But the shop seller that sold me the nitro said don’t use on sand? Just wanted your thoughts 💭 guys good or bad? Please let me know Cheers Stevo….

Whether nitro or electric, running in sand is going to to cause a lot of wear on exposed moving parts and need extra maintenance. Wet sand will stick and make this even more noticeable. Coupled with the fact that nitros have more exposed moving parts and an air intake, you're risking more of a headache if the filter gets saturated / wet sand gets into your suspension arms or wheel bearings...

RC's can go on sand, there's a user here that's made a very nice beach-cleanup RC (dozens of iterations, in fact) but ripping a nitro around on wet sand will require a lot of clean-up to keep from ruining it.

Florida only has sand. No dirt. No clay. No rocks.
So our choice of where to run is on grass, asphalt, or sand.

There are things you can do to help. Get a chassis cover if you can. Cut a hole for the engine head if you have to.

Coat all moving parts with a dry silicone lube beforehand, and remove the wheels and uprights when done to get the dogbones out. Clean all sand out of the cups and off the dogbones, then lube the bearings.

Last edited:
I second the chassis cover thing, Dusty Cover works wonders on my Slash.

Whether nitro or electric, running in sand is going to to cause a lot of wear on exposed moving parts and need extra maintenance. Wet sand will stick and make this even more noticeable. Coupled with the fact that nitros have more exposed moving parts and an air intake, you're risking more of a headache if the filter gets saturated / wet sand gets into your suspension arms or wheel bearings...

RC's can go on sand, there's a user here that's made a very nice beach-cleanup RC (dozens of iterations, in fact) but ripping a nitro around on wet sand will require a lot of clean-up to keep from ruining it.
Thanks for the info jon. I won’t be going on sand to much hassle 🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍

I run in sand, sometimes wet. You will have a lot in maintenance because as mentioned above, sand wet or dry is very abrasive on parts.
I enjoy the maintenance more than actually driving my rigs so it doesn't bother me.