D3MON'S RC10GT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3MON

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so after many years of drooling and wanting one it finally worked out that i was able to get myself a truck i had been looking for for a long time.
The Iconic RC10gt.
as received.jpg

from what i can determine it started life as an RTR+, or possibly one of the factory team versions given the options it has.
started with disassembling the truck and cleaning it where it needs, so far nothing looks broken or in bad shape and really doesn't seem to have a lot of use.
my friend has his truck at my place for some repairs so took a few pictures comparing almost bone stock rc10gt with my rc10gt
(his has my sc10.2 shocks on it as his were leaking, but as of now are repaired and re-installed)
both rc10gts.jpg

upon disassembly i found a few pleasant surprises first was seeing the MIP 4in1 in the truck, was not know that it was installed.
MIP 4in1.jpg

bought the truck with the following options/updates:
Factory team hard anodized shocks
Picco .12 R-C speed engine
MIP 4in1 Clutch
CF rear shock tower
HPI Ribbed pipe
Proline road hawg 2.2s

i ended up with a AE .15 engine that was low on compression so i had sent it to Rex at RWmods.com for a re-pinching service, which will eventually make its way into the truck. need a clutch nut for this though
i swapped the shocks over to the Factory Team SC10.2 shocks. 14mm bore instead of 12mm, and though slightly shorter i like the spring rate a bit more on them. they did require some shims on the shock standoffs and lower shock mounts to prevent rubbing.
after some cleaning this is where i am at now:
top view v2 shocks.jpg

v2 shocks.jpg

plans are to get a new body through Jconcepts as they recently re-released vintage rc10gt bodies, tracking down a front CF shock tower. correct rear body mounts, proline gladiator 2.2s, Lunsford punisher turnbuckles w/blue RPM rod ends, would love to find a FT blue pipe and header for it, as well as i want to get the revised fuel tank.

after receiving it i have not yet been able to personally run the truck, though i do know it does run and very well.
will try to keep updated as much as possible as i get further along with the truck.

Thanks for following!

Iconic is right. I remember when these things where the bee's knee's back in the day.

Iconic is right. I remember when these things where the bee's knee's back in the day.
it is definitely one of my favorite RCs in existence. really miss the nitro stadium trucks from back in the day.
i dont know if you have heard about them but Ignite designs RC are building nitro conversion kits for the current AE vehicles like the T6. really hope to see a resurgence of gas truck class

it is definitely one of my favorite RCs in existence. really miss the nitro stadium trucks from back in the day.
i dont know if you have heard about them but Ignite designs RC are building nitro conversion kits for the current AE vehicles like the T6. really hope to see a resurgence of gas truck class

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I sure am seeing a lot more nitro related posts around here, and on Facebook groups I'm in.

Nice score Demon ,they are still a blast to own & drive ,enjoy my friend!...:thumbs-up:
that they are, and i definitely will enjoy every second of it!
its kind of funny, me and this truck have a bit of a history before it was even mine.
anything new on your GT?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I sure am seeing a lot more nitro related posts around here, and on Facebook groups I'm in.
lol, i have noticed an uptick ever since shortly after the Covid quarantine started happening, dont know if its the nostalgia, or people bored and seeing them and getting curious on their computers or what, but ill definitely take it!

so after many years of drooling and wanting one it finally worked out that i was able to get myself a truck i had been looking for for a long time.
The Iconic RC10gt.
View attachment 124585
from what i can determine it started life as an RTR+, or possibly one of the factory team versions given the options it has.
started with disassembling the truck and cleaning it where it needs, so far nothing looks broken or in bad shape and really doesn't seem to have a lot of use.
my friend has his truck at my place for some repairs so took a few pictures comparing almost bone stock rc10gt with my rc10gt
(his has my sc10.2 shocks on it as his were leaking, but as of now are repaired and re-installed)
View attachment 124577
upon disassembly i found a few pleasant surprises first was seeing the MIP 4in1 in the truck, was not know that it was installed.
View attachment 124578
bought the truck with the following options/updates:
Factory team hard anodized shocks
Picco .12 R-C speed engine
MIP 4in1 Clutch
CF rear shock tower
HPI Ribbed pipe
Proline road hawg 2.2s

i ended up with a AE .15 engine that was low on compression so i had sent it to Rex at RWmods.com for a re-pinching service, which will eventually make its way into the truck. need a clutch nut for this though
i swapped the shocks over to the Factory Team SC10.2 shocks. 14mm bore instead of 12mm, and though slightly shorter i like the spring rate a bit more on them. they did require some shims on the shock standoffs and lower shock mounts to prevent rubbing.
after some cleaning this is where i am at now:
View attachment 124579
View attachment 124580

plans are to get a new body through Jconcepts as they recently re-released vintage rc10gt bodies, tracking down a front CF shock tower. correct rear body mounts, proline gladiator 2.2s, Lunsford punisher turnbuckles w/blue RPM rod ends, would love to find a FT blue pipe and header for it, as well as i want to get the revised fuel tank.

after receiving it i have not yet been able to personally run the truck, though i do know it does run and very well.
will try to keep updated as much as possible as i get further along with the truck.

Thanks for following!
Really nice build regardless of it's origin, looks like you've done it justice, good job, I'm kind of a newbie in this regard but I know good work when I see it and all I can say is respect ?????????

Really nice build regardless of it's origin, looks like you've done it justice, good job, I'm kind of a newbie in this regard but I know good work when I see it and all I can say is respect ?????????
thank you for the words of encouragement, definitely has been a fun re-build of the rig and getting it back to 100%, waiting for some body mounts in the mail to get there, but close enough to be able to test run it but havent been able to run the truck quite yet, still waiting on some snow to leave.

was able to run the truck this last weekend, ran great, that little picco .12 screams! one of the driveshafts was trying to pop out though, so going to have to revisit with some fuel tubing or o-rings in the outdrive to prevent it from pulling out. the day ended with the spur gears screws backed out, never had that happen before but luckily no damage to the teeth so threw some new screws in and back on track.
after driving a complete stock rc10gt, then driving this one after the new shocks, and the slightly less powerfull engine (picco .12 vs AE .15), I'm really liking the way this one handles, just hooks up really well so far what i have driven, doesn't get a squirrely as easy, and corners really well, almost feels like its glued to the ground.
still waiting on parts to come in to get the rear body mounts, and the true AE header so i can more easily attached and fit a body without rubbing.
hoping to have some video footage up soon

was able to run the truck this last weekend, ran great, that little picco .12 screams! one of the driveshafts was trying to pop out though, so going to have to revisit with some fuel tubing or o-rings in the outdrive to prevent it from pulling out. the day ended with the spur gears screws backed out, never had that happen before but luckily no damage to the teeth so threw some new screws in and back on track.
after driving a complete stock rc10gt, then driving this one after the new shocks, and the slightly less powerfull engine (picco .12 vs AE .15), I'm really liking the way this one handles, just hooks up really well so far what i have driven, doesn't get a squirrely as easy, and corners really well, almost feels like its glued to the ground.
still waiting on parts to come in to get the rear body mounts, and the true AE header so i can more easily attached and fit a body without rubbing.
hoping to have some video footage up soon

O think that they originally had an O-ring in the drive cups Demon!...:thumbs-up:

O think that they originally had an O-ring in the drive cups Demon!...:thumbs-up:
yeah was doing a bit of research the other night and from what I've found few of the versions did, this one had the springs set up, but was pushing the cup right to the end, got it figured now with an o-ring on the inner side, no chance of it popping it now! :) do think I'm gonna swap to a 15T pinion though, realized it had an aftermarket 16T, and think the slight drop in tooth count might be a bit healthier on it given the smaller engine. i can barely get it up to speed with a 16T, so a little sacrifice in speed will be fine.
thanks for checking in on the build! :)
gonna be starting another build thread here soon, got a really exciting new rig (to me at least) lol

Slick ride! Congrats on running down that dream car!

given its been too cold to actually run much past the first test run, needed something to do to scratch the itch of RC, so i have been slowly disassembling and cleaning as i have time.
cleaning up trans off.jpg

as you can see where wasn't immediately available to clean or was hidden, still some dirt caked on, really don't mind, as it gives me an excuse to dive deeper. started with removal of the transmission as i wanted to do some diff maintenance anyways.
definitely some built up gunk,
cleaned up trans off.jpg

got the rear end pretty well cleaned up, removed the trans brace as well (was pretty nice to see it has the FT/kit brace.
diff rebuild.jpg

little bit of diff cleanup, the diff ended up being very good condition anyways, probably didnt need re-built, but i was there anyways, and for peace of mind. replaced the balls, diff rings, and re-lubed and greased everything where needed.
New body mock up.jpeg

new body also came in, still trying to decide how/what i want to paint it, i want to be somewhat retro given the nature of the truck, so thinking some kind of throwback pain scheme? (I'm also not the best painter, so trying to keep it semi simple) ideas or inspirational pictures welcome!

i had cleaned the engine, but for some reason didnt get any after pictures, everything internally looked great, externally it is actually pretty dirty, but that color hid it well.

thanks again for following, will post updates as i go forward.

Last edited:
@D3MON. What I learned to know the difference from a RtR and a Factory Team is the nose tube mounts. You have a factory team. The mounts have a wider footing. If you gander at mine you will notice I have the narrow footed mounts. Meaning mine is a RTR. I dont remember where I got it but I was able to download and print out the build manual for these trucks. It has helped for me to identify hardware and reassembly procedure.

@D3MON. What I learned to know the difference from a RtR and a Factory Team is the nose tube mounts. You have a factory team. The mounts have a wider footing. If you gander at mine you will notice I have the narrow footed mounts. Meaning mine is a RTR. I dont remember where I got it but I was able to download and print out the build manual for these trucks. It has helped for me to identify hardware and reassembly procedure.
yeah, the nose tube mounts, the trans brace, bumper, dogbones and accompanying hardware, etc, mine is a weird one as it has most parts from a FT or team built, but some parts are RTR like the axle setup that doesn't make sense to be, team built should have o-rings, this one has the springs in the cups to the wheels. i believe it also has the team chassis on it, also it has the fiberglass front shock tower.
just dont know if it was a Team Built with RTR parts used to replace, or if it was an RTR ugpraded to mostly Team Built spec.
definitely nice that associated left the manual up for repairs and comparison. definitely gone over the manual a few times especially with the diff and shock rebuilt to make sure I'm doing it right.

@D3MON. I would guess its a Team Built. Those front tube mounts, for example, I dont have the holes to upgrade to that style. My chassis will only do the RTR.
Someone may have Frankenstein it at one time in its life.
I didnt say but I noticed you mention how you wanted one of these trucks for a while. Makes me appreciate the deal I got on mine and the step into the Nitro world. At the time I just wanted a nitro truck found it and struck a deal. Didnt realize the excitement and over all satisfaction it brought with it. Everytime I run mine I am laughing and smiling.

definitely some great trucks, great ones to get into the hobby with, the only downside to them is because they are older they are getting a bit harder to find parts for. other than that though, everything about them is well designed, high quality, and definitely good reason they are and were iconic as they are. the AE .15 engines are also really good to learn with as they are quite easy to tune, though my only gripe is that it might even be too much power for a truck as light as they are, but with throttle control and gearing, does help in that department.

Absolutely incredible, man. Love the old school PICCO, the ripple pipe, everything about it. Looks so nice, what an incredible find!

Back