Court blocks Do Not Call Registry

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.com/news/971221.asp

This really sucks. I was looking forward to Oct 1st just for this reason. I signed up and I also encouraged a lot of friends and family to sign up as well. What really gets my goat is when I am sitting down eating dinner and some jackass at 7pm calls me and wants to offer me something I don't want and or need. Or better yet when some moron calls me on a holiday or a Sunday. BAH! This judge just pissed off 50 MILLION people. I want to find the judge and just beat the fool senseless. In the story the telemarketers are saying they could loose up to $50 billion dollars if the DNC list goes active. I think that number is EXTREAMLY high. Thank goodness this judge is only a US District judge. The appeal process is already underway. I want to see this go up to the Supream Court. Because if it does I am confident that they will make things right and overrule the decision.

This better gets thrown out. Otherwise those telemarketers will hear my most foul language i can produce.

Thomas

Mcvickj - i can see why it was thrown out - now i hate telemarketers as much as the next guy, but what they are doing isnt illegal in any way, therfore, they should be allowed, as much as we hate it.

I see your point NA but the fact is I don't want to hear from them at all. It would be entirely different if they ASKED for my permission but they haven't in any possible way. They may have some right to call me when ever they feel like it, but I should have a right to deny them from calling me.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
Mcvickj - i can see why it was thrown out - now i hate telemarketers as much as the next guy, but what they are doing isnt illegal in any way, therfore, they should be allowed, as much as we hate it.
if i put a sign on the door of my business stating no solicitation then no one can come in to try to sell me something, then why shouldnt i be allowed to do the same on my phone??? if someone doesn't like to be bothered telemarkers it they should have the right not to have to put up with it!

Originally posted by Paintbug

if i put a sign on the door of my business stating no solicitation then no one can come in to try to sell me something, then why shouldnt i be allowed to do the same on my phone??? if someone doesn't like to be bothered telemarkers it they should have the right not to have to put up with it!

this is true, however the no solitation signs are not legally protected. Someone cannot be fined or arrested for trying to sell you something, even if u have the sign up. The worst thing u can do is have them tresspassed, which isnt possible on the phone, as they are not entering your home.

Finally, the main argument residing in the DNC list is violation of the first amendment, and also discrimination. Non-profit agencies, and politians, for example, are exempt for the DNC list. Why should the Mayor be able to ask for money, but not a business? In coordination with your solicitation sign, the govenment isnt paying you to put up that sign, it is private property. A phone number, or phone line, is a public utility, therefore it violates freedom of speech, by the government disallowing a company to use a public utility in order to solicite you over the phone.

whew!

I don't know.. i pay to have a phone line installed and a phone number connected. Also i pay for a phone itself, so i can make and receive calls.
Phone companies are privately owned.

So i don't know if this is a public entity that you can just use to make telemarketing calls.

But as long as my cell phone stays clear of telemarketer calls i have actually no problem, unless my stupid modem disconnects and frees up my phoneline and right the next minute the friggin phone rings and disallows me to reconnect to the internet and therefore interrupting my internet service :puke:

scummer - while the phone companies are privatized industry, they are regulated by the Federal Government. This is what i meant.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
scummer - while the phone companies are privatized industry, they are regulated by the Federal Government. This is what i meant.

Hmm... ok.. i see your point.

Still... the phone rings inside my home, which is my private area and i chose voluntarily by signing myself onto this list not to be disturbed by telemarketers.

I mean, if i'm outside on a public street and i tell someone i don't want to have anything todo with him, he better leaves me alone or i will get a restraint order against him.
So, public/private it actually doesn't matter. I signed up so i will be left alone and now those calls should continue anyway?

Where is my restraint order? :doh:

Thomas

Last edited:
scummer, you can turn off call waiting when you dial the internet.

I don't answer my phone. If it's important, they will leave a message and I will call them back. I get 0 telemarketing phone calls.

-Rob

Originally posted by RobH
scummer, you can turn off call waiting when you dial the internet.

I don't answer my phone. If it's important, they will leave a message and I will call them back. I get 0 telemarketing phone calls.

-Rob

Yeah.. i have call waiting turned off... but sometimes my crapmodem still disconnects me... and believe it or not.. as soon as its finished disconnecting i get some telemarketer calls. Its unbelievable sometimes.

Thomas

I have SBC as my phone company and they have a service called privacy manager. Without getting too specific, I pay about $2.50 a month to have it and I have not recieved 1 single telemarketer call since I signed up. It has been a year. You do need a Caller ID phone.

I like when they call.
You need to remember they called you and you have the right to say Just about anything you want. This can be rather fun if you ask me. I particularly like asking questions about their panties.

I used to play an online game called Medal of Honor. Lots of gunfire, grenades going off, general sounds of war. The phone would ring, unknown calleron the ID, pick up the phone and toss it in front of the speaker, then wait for the fast beeping "off hook" signal.

Now I just answer, and start repeating "suck my balls", "help, my choad is damp" or "bompchickabowwow" till they hang up.

I have one of those telezappers. It works! but only against those calls made at random by computers. for those that are made by actual people, I pick it up ... let them say a couple of words and then .... I tell them to not call me anymore and to place me on their no calls list. It's a hastle but if you do that and get the name of the company as well as the operator, they're screwed if they call you again within 5 years. They have to put you on their "no calls" list.

I know it sux that the "national no calls" list was put on hold. I put my name on that list just as many others have also done, but at least there's stuff like the telezapper out there to help. If all else fails, get caller ID with name and screen the calls. Otherwise, do what most of us do ... just hang up the phone. If they call back saying that you were disconnected for "some reason" tell them "No, I hung up on you." then hang up again
misc.php

ImBroken..I have one. there sweet.

I have sbc as well and the privacy manager w/an unlisted number and those sneaky lil b@stards still get calls in once ina while..drives me nuts...they must have cameras or something cause they usually call me just as my son falls asleep....grrrrrrrr telemarketer~~> :preachin: :sniper: <~~~ me

Lol, we got $2 in the mail from people tryng to give a survey. It said, we will be calling in the next few days...

Then they called, and my sister was like, "we're not interested"

Then we got another $2. They have yet to call...lol

Originally posted by ImBroken
Here's the answer.... I'm ordering one of these babies...
TeleZapper

Agreed. I have a friend who has one and swears by it and most likely I will end up getting one. However I feel that I shouldn't have to spend $40 bucks on this or $4 bucks a month to the phone company to get rid of unwanted telemarketers calling my house. I personally feel it should be illegal and they should be fined for calling people. I was watching an episode of Becker a few nights ago and I liked his approache to dealing with unwanted phone calls. He reached over and tooted a airhorn into the phone. I think I need to invest in one.

Back