Cooking with GAS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying

HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine

engine1t.jpg

Think of a standard nitro engine...and now imagine:
More than double the runtime...
Cheaper fuel costs...
Widely available fuel...
Easier starting...
No tuning hassle...
Quieter running...
Cleaner running...

The brand new HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine combines these fantastic properties with all the excitement of an all-new petrol engine!

The HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine is a gasoline 2-stroke engine with outer dimensions only slightly larger than a big block nitro car or truck engine. This revolutionary size will allow the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine to fit in RC cars where gasoline engines never could before.

So what are the advantages of this engine over the standard nitro methane-powered engines you're used to?

Increased Runtimes
The HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine will get at least double the runtime per tank of fuel, meaning you get more fun before refuelling and more bang for your buck!

Hugely Reduced Running Costs
Standard gasoline is much cheaper than Nitro fuel, plus spark plugs lasting much longer than glow plugs, so the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine allows the RC hobbyist to have extremely reduced running costs.

Widely available fuel
With the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine, it's now much easier to find fuel at any full-size car service station, anywhere in the world. Simply fill up a fuel can and grab a bottle of 2-stroke oil and away you go to enjoy your car or truck!

Easier to Start
Just like the engine in the Baja buggies and trucks, the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine is extremely easy to start and there's NO fussing with carb settings. Pull the starter cord and off you go!

No Tuning Hassle
Instead of worrying about things like temperature and humidity to fine tune a nitro engine every time you run your car the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine is much more tolerant with its carburetor settings. The on-board electronics provide fine control and do all the tuning work for you.

Much Cleaner
With the 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine, you no longer have to deal with the "nitro goop" that covers your car after running a nitro engine. With a lower oil-to-fuel mixture compared to nitro methane fuels, the HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine engine will run much cleaner making it easy to clean up your vehicle after running.

A Complete Engine System
The eXtreme Gas engine system isn't just an engine - it includes the engine itself, electronics to keep the engine running smoothly and cables to connect everything. It's a complete drop-in solution to adding loads of extra, usable power with a low running cost and maximum impact!

engine2t.jpg
The HPI 1/8th scale Gasoline Engine is truly The Next Big Thing in RC car and truck innovation - it's cheaper to run, easier to start, cleaner and quieter!

I think I will be converting my X 4.6 over to gas...

I’ve been waiting to drill engine mount holes in this chassis since they put out the 1st teaser about the gasser.
Hopefully it will turn a decent rpm and gearing won’t be much of an issue with the retrofits.
DSC03441.gif

Honestly... only thing i see good about it is the cheaper on gas... usually the nitro engines are always better performing. but if i see a video of it ripping up the track and very torque and quick RPM climb i would be happy to try it. but other wise... ehh... not really looking forward to changing... tuning doesn't bother me.

Notice they don't show the ignition coil or whatever they are using. None of the pics of the rigs show it either.

also i would imagine its more sluggish than a nitro engine. I've seen lots of small gas engines and they just arent very quick.. sort of like takes awhile to get up in the rpm .. but maybe hpi changed that issue and made it perform more like a nitro.

The on-board electronics provide fine control and do all the tuning work for you.

Can't wait to see this, lol.

One advantage, I bet it's easier to run in winter conditions. If that's the case, I'm all in on this. That's my biggest issue right now, the fact that when I do have time to bash, it's either too cold, or I have to warm it up and tune it, and by then I'm out of time.

I love nitro, but the maintenance to run one tank sucks.

also i would imagine its more sluggish than a nitro engine. I've seen lots of small gas engines and they just arent very quick.. sort of like takes awhile to get up in the rpm .. but maybe hpi changed that issue and made it perform more like a nitro.

Uhhh, I beg to differ. My Baja ran great, and actually got on the pipe faster than my nitros and had more low end torque as well. And it was a stock CY26 with nothing but a pipe. It's no different than a nitro, it's all in how it's been treated, and how it's tuned. Tuning a gasser is different than tuning a nitro as well.

were can i buy this at ???

I need a few of these for some of my savages!

Seems aewsome and i can't wait to get my hands on one of these

Uhhh, I beg to differ. My Baja ran great, and actually got on the pipe faster than my nitros and had more low end torque as well. And it was a stock CY26 with nothing but a pipe. It's no different than a nitro, it's all in how it's been treated, and how it's tuned. Tuning a gasser is different than tuning a nitro as well.

doesn't seem like it in videos.. when ever i see videos of the baja or losi 5ive t when i hear them wide open they sound like they are just barley going and they dont seem that fast. I believe they are almost identical to a weed wacker engine and even my weed wacker with less resistance on the engine it self barley compares to my nitro engine revving wise. they do have better torque than nitro but the nitro in my opinion revs better..

And i feel like such a small gas engine wont really be an upgrade performance wise over a nitro engine.. really just a way to save money in the long run... it may be neat for a basher but not race.

*EDIT* mudslingers link looks like on the XL its just the right size.. I'm guessing it doesn't fit in the X ?

But also like i said before.. if there is a video of this performing, of a comparison of before ( nitro ) to the new engine and it performs much better than nitro i will consider... but otherwise ill still always love my nitro no matter what mess or tuning issues it gives me

Last edited:
doesn't seem like it in videos.. when ever i see videos of the baja or losi 5ive t when i hear them wide open they sound like they are just barley going and they dont seem that fast. I believe they are almost identical to a weed wacker engine and even my weed wacker with less resistance on the engine it self barley compares to my nitro engine revving wise. they do have better torque than nitro but the nitro in my opinion revs better..

And i feel like such a small gas engine wont really be an upgrade performance wise over a nitro engine.. really just a way to save money in the long run... it may be neat for a basher but not race.

Doesn't sound like it because they're only turning half the RPM's of a nitro mill, aruond 19,000 or so peak. Keep in mind a real car going 45mph looks like it's going slow as well, same with a larger RC, it looks slow because it's much bigger. My Baja was faster than my Savage, but it didn't feel like it because terrain that would throw the Savage all over the place, you could just pin the Baja due to it's size and weight. It's just a different experience is all, not saying one is better than the other.

I'm anxious to see what comes of the new HPI gassers, and I'm hopeful they'll perform well. But let's face it, neither can compete with brushless electrics for power, almost instant spool up, and tons of TQ on tap at anytime.

*EDIT* mudslingers link looks like on the XL its just the right size.. I'm guessing it doesn't fit in the X ?

But also like i said before.. if there is a video of this performing, of a comparison of before ( nitro ) to the new engine and it performs much better than nitro i will consider... but otherwise ill still always love my nitro no matter what mess or tuning issues it gives me

i would put my baja against any tmaxx or revo, performance wise, they may look slow on video, but i assure you they are not, i have owned all 3 trucks and by far my baja is faster out of the hole and on top end, Mine is also a stock CY26 with a pipe.

Ill never really take electric to seriously only because of the hype... i dont want electric to take over and not have any gas engines what so ever produced.

It does make sense that it wouldnt look as fast because its larger, i just dont see an 8cc gas engine being that squirly.. i know if there were an 8 cc nitro engine it would probably perform better.. if the gas engine was a 4.6 it wouldnt be very fun at all..

But maybe they did something special to the new gas engine that will make it perform better than the nitro engine.

Like everyone else who has chimed in I'm curious of a video of this actually performing. I'm all for longer runtimes and ease of tuning but if it is at a BIG performance loss than its hard to get excited about. Alot of us are used to hearing 30,000+ rpm compared to a 15,000-17,000 mill that may or may not produce the same or better turque and hp. I'll have to wait and see. Also anyone get a price on the motor yet? Havent seen 1 on the hpi website yet

Yeah I wish the brushless electric guys would get off their high horses and let us fume sniffers have our fun. So what if your electrics are faster they are still tied to the plug in the wall. Because eventually your batteries will die and you will either have to change them or charge them. All I have to do is refuel and keep on trucking.:D

^ exactly, if i ever run a gas engine I'm going to run VP racing fuel.... best smelling and performing fuel you can buy.

Yeah I wish the brushless electric guys would get off their high horses and let us fume sniffers have our fun. So what if your electrics are faster they are still tied to the plug in the wall. Because eventually your batteries will die and you will either have to change them or charge them. All I have to do is refuel and keep on trucking.:D

Unless you've figured out a way to run a small generator off your clutch bell, your RX pack will go dead not long after my lipo. :hehe:

I'm all about keeping the nitros around, I like them myself, fuel is just too expensive around here. I'm the last guy you'll find that's a green freak or something.

If i had more time to spend in the hobby i would stick with nitro, i still have a few nitro cars that i can run when i get the "itch" Its easier to use electric when you have a kid that loves the hobby too.

Back