Converting to 32 Pitch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Hey, after reading through a few threads on another site, I've decided to order a couple 32 pitch spur gears and pinion gears to match them. I've yet to have any problems with the 48 pitch gears, but I'll eventually stick a brushless system in and I want it to be a little more durable. Most of the time if you have your gear mesh set correctly along with the slipper clutch, you have nothing to worry about, however I just want a tougher setup from a preventative maintenance standpoint. The 32 pitch setup uses bigger teeth, and usually bigger is stronger, so why not? Has anyone else dabbled much with a 32 pitch setup?

I'm going to try my FDR around 4.14 to 4.46, so I'm running a 58t Jato Spur with a 13 and 14T E-Maxx pinion, all of-course are 32 pitch.
One thing to note if you're looking at going to 32 pitch, you'll need the RPM gear cover to keep things covered up, the stock rear cover will not fit.

Hey, I am running the vxl brushless setup and I went through several 48 pitch spur gears already. I now am running the 32 pitch gears 15/56 and hav'nt stripped one yet, They are the way to go if you are going to run a brushless motor, FYI, the RPM cover does not fit over the 32 pitch gearing without modifying it a little to clear it. the spur gear still rubs a little on the inside.

If your going brushless get a 15tooth pinion. It will keep your temps within range. For brushed motors the 13 will be the best for close to stock gearing.

The gear cover needs to be shaved because the thirtytwo pitch isnt angled like the stocker. Shims may help too but allow dirt in. Proper gear mesh is key as well. Now take into account your going to want to inforce your driveline because now your spur gear is no longer your weak link. Just some ideas.

Back