Converting pullstart to starter box?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfinglenn

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After a full day of playing at the track I came to one conclusion: Pullstarts stink (broke two during runs where I found it only after re-fueling and discovering no handle). I have decided to convert my buggies to starter boxes. Here are my questions:

1. Should I replace the pullstarts, one-ways, backplates etc with a stock backplate designed for the non-pullstart versions of these motors? (XTM 24.7, Hyper .21, OS .21RGX) If I do the conversion, is there anything else I need to get besides the new backplate? Do I just pull the pin that usually goes in the end of the one-way shaft?

2. What starter box does everyone recommend, or what features should I look for. I only want to have to buy something once, so I want to get the best the first time.

Thanks,

Glenn

I am about to do the same thing. The way I figure it I am going to leave the pull start engines as is for now. I may or may not in the future completely remove the pull start assembly but for now it stays. Any new engine I buy from here on out will be a non-pull start variety.

El Pirata,

Have you decided what box to go with, or do you already have one?

Thanks,

Glenn

No not at all, the crank will be still turning the same direction regardless of whether the engine is being started by a pull start or a bump starter.

Only if you put a nonpull back plate would you need to replace the crank. Or you could possibly cut off the nub on the end of the rod journal where the rod goes. This may clear the backplate.

I see no compelling reason to convert my engine to it's non pull-start version.

Apparently a non-pullstart motor can perform better, since there's less metal and stuff for the engine to turn. I doubt that it's a really big difference unless you got some powerhouse of an engine, and those don't generally have pull starts anyways.

I broke my pull start cord and I got a starter box. It works just fine with the pull start assembly attached. I plugged up the little hole where the pull cord went into the spool, to prevent dust from getting in there.

I do plan on eventually getting a new pull start assembly for my engine because it is nice to be able to restart it really easy if the gas runs out or something.

Back