Considering a kyosho or ...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaunmfp

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to buggies, had a lot of bashers, street cars and crawlers but never a buggy. I went to the LHS and have decided I would like to start racing in the 1/8 class. I'm looking for something that is RTR and capable of compition that can be upgraded as I progress. Right now I'm considering the 34111 INFERNO MP9e Evo V2 Readyset or the 34106T1B INFERNO MP9e Evo Readyset 1/8 EP 4WD RS. I would like to stay under $600 for the car and electronics. I asked at the LHS and was told to spend $1200 on a kit (not an option) Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Hello all,

I'm new to buggies, had a lot of bashers, street cars and crawlers but never a buggy. I went to the LHS and have decided I would like to start racing in the 1/8 class. I'm looking for something that is RTR and capable of compition that can be upgraded as I progress. Right now I'm considering the 34111 INFERNO MP9e Evo V2 Readyset or the 34106T1B INFERNO MP9e Evo Readyset 1/8 EP 4WD RS. I would like to stay under $600 for the car and electronics. I asked at the LHS and was told to spend $1200 on a kit (not an option) Any suggestions are much appreciated.
I dont think anyone else makes a true 1/8TH RTR competition buggy. Arrma makes the Typhon, but that is more a basher. There are also buggies from Team Losi and Habao, bu i think they are still kits, and more money. As for the $1200 price tag, what was he trying to sell you? You can get the Tekno EB48 for $600 from A-Main, which is the best race buggy around, but, even with the needed extras, doesn't hit $800 if done right. A guy near me has a Team Corally Shogun that is 1/8TH, but i know nothing about it, except that he paid less than $500 for it. It does look more like a truggy than a buggy to me though. Another one i just found while looking for Imex parts is this: https://www.imex-model.com/category/64/1-8-Scale.html They are from a company called VRX Racing, but i know nothing about them.

Last edited:
I dont think anyone else makes a true 1/8TH RTR competition buggy. Arrma makes the Typhon, but that is more a basher. There are also buggies from Team Losi and Habao, bu i think they are still kits, and more money. As for the $1200 price tag, what was he trying to sell you? You can get the Tekno EB48 for $600 from A-Main, which is the best race buggy around, but, even with the needed extras, doesn't hit $800 if done right. A guy near me has a Team Corally Shogun that is 1/8TH, but i know nothing about it, except that he paid less than $500 for it. It does look more like a truggy than a buggy to me though. Another one i just found while looking for Imex parts is this: https://www.imex-model.com/category/64/1-8-Scale.html They are from a company called VRX Racing, but i know nothing about them.
I'm not really sure which brand brands he was referring to, he kind of pointed to the corner where all the kits were and said those will cost about $1200. I'm fairly certain he just wanted to sell me 1 of his used cars. I did look at the typhon and python at the LHS. Is the kyosho rtr worth buying or do you actually have to go with the kit?

I'm not really sure which brand brands he was referring to, he kind of pointed to the corner where all the kits were and said those will cost about $1200. I'm fairly certain he just wanted to sell me 1 of his used cars. I did look at the typhon and python at the LHS. Is the kyosho rtr worth buying or do you actually have to go with the kit?
The biggest advantage to a kit is that you get to build it, and, in that way, you know exactly how everything is put together, what shock oil and diff oil or grease is used, how it all goes together if it needs repairs or changes. With an RTR, if you are looking at racing, there are still things you are gonna want to do, such as rebuild the shocks, and replace the shock oil, possibly replace the oil or grease in the diff's, possibly have to make adjustments to the chassis, shock ride height and position, toe, caster and camber, change all the bearings to rubber shielded if it doesn't already come with them. Thats not to say one has more advantages over the other, but, a lot of guys do prefer the kits, instead of buying an RTR just to have to take it apart. RTR rarely means take it out of the box and drop it on a track, although, i have known guys, myself included, who have done that. In my case, i did it to get an idea of what it might need, then made adjustments from there, but that was early in the RTR days, when companies were just introducing them. Your best bet would be to find a dedicated racing forum, and talk to the guys there, as well as guys at the track or tracks you plan to run at, see what they are running, and see how they are set up (if they let you, some guys are very secretive about their race setups), although, going that route, especially at the track, i would lean more towards the newer guys, only because the upper level racers typically tend to steer you to the higher end, more expensive stuff. As for what to run, there are a few options out there, but it is really hard to do a, this is the one you need, kind of advice, because what works for you, might not work for someone else. When i first started racing, i went and watched a few races, talked to a few people, got their recommendations, then still bought something completely different, because i didnt want a dedicated race rig at that time. Now, i have 3 race trucks, and i do more bashing than racing with them anymore.

The Inferno MP9e EVO V2 is Kyosho's newest RTR 1/8 scale. It is possibly the closest you can get to a full race kit. It will accept all the MP9 upgrades, including the TKI4 parts. You can find a ton of parts for them also. It would be a very good start if you want to get into 1/8 e-buggy racing for under $1000. You might want to look into upgrading the motor and ESC. I don't believe those are ROAR legal and the ESC is not sensored. As for the radio system, it is probably one the best RTR systems out. You don't really need to change that out to race. It will work just fine.

Thank you all for the input. Thank you AClegg for the answer, that was what I wanted to know.

Just make sure your looking at the MP9e EVO V2. They just came out. Kyosho is also stating that there will be a big release on the 21st. My guess is a new 1:8 E-truggy. That's the only thing they are missing right now.