Considerations for a 2nd Entry RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netmatt

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I got a GPToys Foxx S911 (LINK) a while ago for one of my sons, but he was never interested to my dismay. We had some fun with it for a few days...it is very fast I thought, but never did anything too rough. So it got shelved until recently when son #2 has now expressed keen interest (woohoo!) and we are talking about setting up a slalom type track in the backyard (big yard, hills and woods). Had to figure out the battery issue with the first RC, but got that figured and its on order (thanks to members help!)

Now looking for #2 for me, with $150 budget. (if he or I really take to it, then I've got a Christmas upgrade coming!) Here are the ones I am considering...links included:
  • ECX AMP 2WD coming in about $140 (LINK)
  • Redcat Blackout SC or XTE coming in about $150 (LINK or LINK)
  • Hosim 9125 Upgraded coming in about $145 (LINK)
  • Arrma Granite Voltage 2WD coming in about $99 (LINK)
    • Downside on the Arrma here is June backorder :(
Thoughts, alternatives? Missing anything obvious? Have tried to do my homework on this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts!

Yea, I would like to have a $200 budget, but I don't. I am catching grief from the "board" for $150, lol! The Tenacity was a top choice of mine, and I have it on Ebay watch, but can't find a used one.

OK, I've given up on the Hosim...and anything similar overseas low cost, hard to find parts type.

There is also the Traxxas Rustler, but its top of my budget and no battery or charger, so it's a no-go.

I am leaning to the ECX AMP or the Blackout XTE, due to the availability and ease of upgrades (including brushless). The ECX is often recommended on here, and seems popular to upgrade. Are they really that much worse?

Last edited:
There is the ECX Circuit as well. I am having a hard time finding detailed specs on the difference on it and the AMP, but it appears a seperate ESC and receiver, as well as a 15t motor. Most of the rest seems similar.

OK, I think I am down to the AMP or the Blackout XTE...leaning to the AMP due to the vast amount of users (or prior users), info, parts and upgradeability.

Final thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? ;)

Well, I think I swayed back to the Blackout XTE, as it's 4WD, and I am going to do more backyard and off-road than I am going to do road/course. Then again, I just read that Redcat is HSP, which brings me back to questioning parts and quality.

Ugh...I am probably overthinking this at this price point. o_O

I have a Blackout XTE pro and I’m very happy with it. Only thing I changed was tires.

I went with the AMP today. Local shop support for parts and a big community online probably sold it for me. No buyers remorse tonight, so I made the right decision for me. :) Thanks all for feedback.

Nice enjoy. In the end the best R/C is the one that you can maintain locally.

Back