Confused on Hot Racing spring rates vs Traxxas springs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. You must be talking about those 3.8 trencher‘s that are like 6.8 or 6.9 inches tall that are like 4 inches wide, that are pretty much the same size as those Duratraxx six pack MTs that I tried last year that I quickly got rid of because of how large they were and because of the fact that if I had learned what I know now about re-gearing the clutch bell gear and the spur gear which, if I would’ve known then what I know now, I probably would’ve kept those tires and probably wouldn’t have even bought the 6.4 inch talon EXTs.

Which, don’t get me wrong, I really like talon EXTs for what they are but the only thing that I’m not crazy about them is the fact that they’re so heavy because they’re obviously made out of a lot thicker rubber being that these tires were made for the E Revo 2.0 that’s capable of hitting 70+ miles an hour… LOL.

But just despite how heavy they are, I really like them though. Hard accelerations in grass, I don’t get that fishtailing affect like you were saying.

and someways, now that I know what I know, I wouldn’t mind going back to those printers trenchers or maybe even the pro lines that had the same tread pattern almost as the Dura tracks MTs but then I wouldn’t have anything to use these talons for because even though my max runs pretty good on those tires, I still think that they’re just too large of a tire for that truck that’s why they pretty much just stay on my Revo.
Nitro revo or electric? I never tried the ext's on a nitro revo, only my 2.0 brushless revo, which has far more torque than the nitro, even my big block revo... which I now run a set of trenchers on too. lol!

Nitro revo or electric? I never tried the ext's on a nitro revo, only my 2.0 brushless revo, which has far more torque than the nitro, even my big block revo... which I now run a set of trenchers on too. lol!
It’s the Revo 3.3, the old old 5309 one that came out back in like 2006 or seven or whenever it was that came originally with the 5.75 inch Traxxas Talons, the 15 tooth clutch bell, the plain ole blue tuned pipe, the non high-flow air breather with just the one piece filter element and the smaller 135 or 125cc fuel tank.

if I would’ve known these talon EXT‘s where as heavy as they are, I probably would’ve just went with another set of those Duratrax six pack MTs or the pro line version of those tires but it probably doesn’t even matter a whole lot any way because those Duratrax tires, and I’m pretty sure the proline badlands mt tires, got to be almost as heavy as those talon EXT tires because even though the EXT’s are not near as wide as those but they’re only like slightly over a quarter of an inch shorter than those tires so I figure They’re probably roughly about the same.

MX 3.8's are 16oz
Trencher 3.8's (the older tall ones) are 13.4oz
Talon EXT's are 13.9oz.

Oddly, the MX 3.8 belteds are lighter than the normal MX's, according to whomever gave me the weights, but still heavy at 14.74oz.

I have a thread at arrma forum with a list of all the weights of tires I have and quite a few others:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tire-weight-list.15771/

Well, I haven’t run it yet but I’m going to give the heavier long-travel springs a try.

But I’m curious- I thought about asking Traxxas this but since they like to be so tight-lipped on why certain things are the way they are but as I was putting my shocks back on after changing the springs, I got to wondering about my multi-mount aluminum rockers I got from Hot Racing....

The front ones was no question because the front rockers matched up perfectly to the new aluminum rockers but the back ones, I guess I had the pushrods mounted to the wrong holes which I’m assuming made the suspension geometry the same as the front by having the pushrods and the shock rods mounted to the outer most holes like the front and after looking at them and pulling out my rear stock rockers, I decided to use the outer most hole for the shock end and the inner most hole for the pushrod end- see pic.

The only thing, the measurement between the two holes on the stock plastic rockers is pretty close to an inch and a quarter but on the new aluminum rockers, that measurement comes out basically between the innermost hole and the middle hole so I just connected the pushrods to the innermost hole. I figured shorter would be better than longer.

Attachments

• 9487323F-9EB2-468D-B3A0-4B30A0989554.jpeg
    9487323F-9EB2-468D-B3A0-4B30A0989554.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 79
Back