Computer question. Transferring info.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
My resent computer issues has brought me to upgrading some of our office computers. The biggest complication is getting the info from one computer to another with the least amount of work.

Computer 1.
Now running win 2000.
Is there a program that will allow me to transfer all the installed programs to a new HD running XP?

It would take days to reinstall the programs and configure them before going live. Not to mention having to go through all the updating from the original Vs of the softwares to the current Vs that are running.

Computer 2.
Same issue however it is already running XP.
So its XP to XP on a different computer.

Any help would be great.

Most (not all) new comps come with a data transfer cable. I don't remember what it's called, but I know the program was in my XP. EZ Migration kit, or something like that.
I'm now on Vista, and there aren't too many things right now that I need to transfer from the XP, so I got a 2 GB USB memory stick. That way I can get what I need at any time without a hassle.
If you have any problem with programs, just change the setting to 'run in compatabily mode' with the OS it worked in before. (Right click icon; properties)

If you need any more info, have your people contact my people.

Last edited:
You can use file and settings transfer wizard in XP and also on the XP fdisk for the 200 machine. The drqawback here is it does not transfer all of the applications in tact. It will transfer the data as long as it is in the Mydocuments folder.....and it will tell you the apps it cannot transfer....but you dont get that info until midway thru the process.

This is always a hassle and I do it almost everyday...........its a crp shoot, and you WILL have to reinstall some apps no matter what.

One piece of softwaqre that I have seen and used one is called Desktop DNA......it will make a complete copy of a amchine and then put it on a second machine......it is a couplre hundred bucks.

The other option is a Norton Ghost of the hard drive and then ghosting it to the new machine..... then have to go thru the process of adding in the drivers specific to the new box.

Anyway...the long and short of it is, its work either way....and will take some time.

If you spring for airfare and three hots and a cot, I will come down there and do it for you.....at my normal rate BTW..;)

Eddy,
As another IT person, I have tried many different ways of moving programs and the associated data to a new machine. My opinion (and yes opinions are like anal orifices everyone has one) is to back up the data for applications on the old machine and do a fresh installation of the software on the new machine and restore the data to the new machine. Yes it is a pain in the butt, but it really is the best and will cause fewer headaches in the future.

I have used laplink in the past .....but just for file transfer...I cannot vouch for the PC Mover product......but may be worth a try.

Eddy,
As another IT person, I have tried many different ways of moving programs and the associated data to a new machine. My opinion (and yes opinions are like anal orifices everyone has one) is to back up the data for applications on the old machine and do a fresh installation of the software on the new machine and restore the data to the new machine. Yes it is a pain in the butt, but it really is the best and will cause fewer headaches in the future.

I'll second this method; typically, program movers that move installed programs run the risk of missing some obscure .dll file that the program might use on the 12th blue moon, which could cause your computer to implode (or at the very least, cause your cat to explode).

I'm a firm believer in just doing a fresh install, and once you get all of your programs in place, running a Ghost image process to an external hard drive. Then add in documents, music, movies, etc. It's a hassle, but the end result is a nice, stable windows.

Then use your documents and settings transfer wizard to import the settings.

However, and this is the big gotcha; I'm not sure if you can use the docs-and-settings transfer wizard to "extract" your data from an installation of windows on a secondary hard drive.

Now, as for booting.... What you _can_ do to extract the data, and this is perhaps the easiest way to go about it, is to do a repair-installation on your windows.

Bolt in the harddrive, insert your windows installation disc (HAS to be an installation disc, NOT a recovery cd), and when prompted, press R to repair the installation (don't use Recovery Console; that's a dos prompt. Go past that step by pressing enter, and then press R when asked).

From there, it'll zero out the hardware layer of windows, and basically reset the HAL. It might ask you to reactivate windows. It will look like a "REAL" installing of windows, but don't panic.

Good luck! It's not as hard as it sounds, but it can be intimidating, and downright scary.

I have done clean installs before but in this situation its daunting.
We use some softwares that we have versions that are 5-6 revs old and have used live update and web upgrades. A few of them the original software wont even load onto XP. I have contacted the 2 of the companies and they both want us to purchase a new version and wont support us in the upgrading of an older version. In one instance the new version UPGRADE is 2K.

I'm going to have to chance trying to migrate it before laying down that kind of cash. If it doesn't work. Ill just have to clone the drive its on now and deal with the configuration headaches of putting a cloned drive in a different hardware setup.

The 2nd software, the company is out of business so even if I wanted, there is no way to get a new disk.

Errr....

I feel your pain brother....but I think faced with those crcumstances I would defiantly tru the clone and go route.....then you can use the repair option...and you might have to beg microsoft to use thier os via activation.

Man what a mess.....good luck....PM for my phone number if you need someone to just say "yes that is the next step"

TalonOne

I feel your pain brother....PM for my phone number if you need someone to just say "yes that is the next step"

TalonOne

How about I just piss you off so you have to come down and kick my ass.
Umm.... and while your here.... :D

Is there any chance you can install the HD as another drive? Then you'll have it all in the new comp without losing any files.

Is there any chance you can install the HD as another drive? Then you'll have it all in the new comp without losing any files.

Yes but the apps would not run....they need to be installed from the install process to run.....so acceess to the data does no good.

How about I just piss you off so you have to come down and kick my ass.
Umm.... and while your here.... :D

Hey that might work......go ahead make my day. :boxing:

But the programs are already on that HD along with the data. It should be the same once the HD is installed in the other comp, shouldn't it?
Kind of like accessing a program and it's data in another comp through a LAN.

But the programs are already on that HD along with the data. It should be the same once the HD is installed in the other comp, shouldn't it?
Kind of like accessing a program and it's data in another comp through a LAN.

Close but no cigar..........its a mess anyway he cuts it......either the hardware drivers and or the dlls need to be installed with the HD in the machine they will live in....or you have to try and replicate that...which is near impossible.

When you go thru the lan and run a program you are using a client that has been installed on your macine to gives that environment for the app to run in. Or you are running an app designed to be run over the lan by itself.

Anyway either way its a chore.

And people wonder what makes IT support people go postal.......

If you find one, share with us the information. From what I know, this will not be an easy task. The data transfer part of your question is relatively easy. The moving of executables is not so easy. As much as one would think it should be drag and drop from one OS to another, 2000 and XP do not always get along well and installation of software adjusts registry files depending on the depth of the software in the system.

You are probably going to be better off moving your data and then installing the software that is XP compatible to the new machine. You may have to run some clean installs on the not-so XP friendly software and see if there are patches available to make the software XP friendly.

Either way, I do not envy you your task....one more reason I enjoy my Macs so much....migration from one OS to another is much easier.

Another thought of mine is to clone the original hard drive and then perform an upgrade to XP. You might want to run the software compatibility found on the XP CD-Rom. It will tell you if the software and hardware is compatible with XP.

Back