Computer help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I googled zooble to see what it was after seeing that Josh bought some for Christmas, clicked on a site and next thing I know I can't run anything, no net or CC Cleaner, I get a Vista 2012 security registration deal that cost $60, thats all I get. Is my computer SOL? Every time I click CC cleaner or other programs it says their infected with something....

Go to 'run' msconfig and see what's running and what's on your startup menu. Turn off whatever program is questionable. If you're not sure, do a search for it before turning it off. You've got a bogus program in there, and paying for the Vista registration will not change it. It just gives the virus programmer another $60.
Until you turn it off it will block any virus or malware programs from working.

Tried but it wont let me run anything

You have no other option other than to run System Restore to an earlier point before that program got in. Hopefully you've got it activated. It will remove that program but it won't damage or remove any of your files.
I dealt with it in someone else's computer a while back. If your running XP, Vista or 7, that's the name that will show up in the program it wants you to buy. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Microsoft.
It's called "Scareware". There's nothing your other programs can do to get it out since it blocks them from running or installing. It scares you into buying nothing from them.

Ralph rocks. 'Course after all the work he's done to other folks stuff he should be a computer guru. Good luck, Lloyd. Hope the Restore does it for you! A few years back I had something similar happen--ended up having to re-format the HD. Bad day...

Thanks for the help. Had to run it in safe mode to get beable to run system restore but that fixed it....I'll just stay curious about what a zooble is lol.

I was gonna find a picture online but I'm afraid to google it. :)

They're like Bakugan except for girls. Little spherical characters that open up when you push a button or something.

Last edited:
I dont know what most of the things are in the list of stuff you bought lol.

I'm guessing you will post pics of your large collection of them later Rob?

Don't hate.

Clearly Josh is the one collecting them.

Download/install malwarebytes.org's app. It has brought my PC back from death. The free version doesn't have the daemon running in the background to catch things as they happen, but they do allow you to run full manual scans and cleans up what it finds.

After it saved my butt, I paid for it so I could have the watcher always running and scheduled full scans nightly. Was a one time charge of $30 I think.

When mine was hosed, I couldn't even access my checkpoints to do a restore. Was brutal...

Download/install malwarebytes.org's app. It has brought my PC back from death. The free version doesn't have the daemon running in the background to catch things as they happen, but they do allow you to run full manual scans and cleans up what it finds.

After it saved my butt, I paid for it so I could have the watcher always running and scheduled full scans nightly. Was a one time charge of $30 I think.

When mine was hosed, I couldn't even access my checkpoints to do a restore. Was brutal...

Yeah I prolly should buy something, I've had this pc for 5 years without any thing other than CC Cleaner so it prolly deserves it since its still working for me :hehe:

I'd at least fire up the free version of malwarebytes... Guessing it will find quite a bit of badness.

Do you have Microsoft Essentials installed? That's all I use now for an AV program. It's free and relatively low impact. Got tired of the bloatware from mcaffee and norton that comcast supplies. So, between that and malwarebytes, I haven't had any issues... <finding something made of wood to knock on>

no I dont have that, I'll go check into it. I have SO much crap from Nortan and Macafee popup all the time, its really annoying.

Apparently they weren't very effective in warning you of that last problem.
The paid version of Avast is the best I've ever used, but I'm trying out Microsoft Essentials for a while.

I downloaded the Microsoft one and its running now. I still have a brand new (basically still new) computer with Windows 7 on it that I never use, I'll prolly do a paid program for it when I start using it.

I`ve been running MS-Security essentials and AVG Free on a Win 7 Laptop for like a year, my kids and wife all use it for their day to day browsing and it`s not had ANY issues @ all.
Get a copy of CCleaner and hijackthis (Trend Micro), run them both once a week or so.
Make sure you know exactly what you're checking off w/hijackthis before you "Fix" or just use it to scan and post the logs to one of the hjt forums (someone'll help there).
Another system-saver you could check out would be Malwarebytes anti-malware.
I usually use these tools first-thing on friends' machines whenever they`ve had issues and haven`t had to do a complete re-install for years.
-D-

I just had another person with that scareware virus and I did a bit of research from MY computer since his wouldn't even get on the net.
I found a "crack" number, wrote it down, then entered the license number in the virus program of HIS computer. It turned it off. Only then was I able to get in and completely remove it.
People pay $60 and think that they got a great program that cleaned out a really nasty virus when all others failed. For the internet thief, this is a gold mine.
Those cracked keys are only there for a short period of time, then the virus sender changes the keys. I got lucky and used one before it got picked up.

Last edited: