Composite vs Aluminum clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian O

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Recently I've had an eye opening experience when it comes to clutch selection. I was beefing up a stock Losi Aftershock LE. I was fixing a few weak spots from the factory such as ,pipe and header,throttle linkage,clutch,carb, etc. I used parts from the Losi xxl to replace these parts on the Aftershock. After each replacement I tested to be sure everything was good before moving on to the next. I installed the clutch last. The difference between the stock composite clutch and the aluminum clutch was night and day. With the stock composite clutch the truck had a take off rating of , OK. After installing the new aluminum clutch the take off rating was ...OMG....From a stand still ,I punched the trottle and the truck flipped over on its roof. I'm looking to see what everybody else thinks ,or share their story on weather they prefer composite ,or aluminum clutch set ups?:whhooo:

Aluminum Clutches are the way to go on any RC IMO, thats the first thing i change on a new rig, I wouldn't run anything else

i like aluminum a lot. i'm running dynamite max life shoes in my monster and i like them

When I switched from the tmaxx's stock 2 shoe composite to the 3 shoe aluminum clutch it was an eye opening experience. Definitely aluminum is the way to go.

would you recommend changing to aluminuim clutch shoes in a hpi rs4 nitro on road touring car think the engine is a .15
would i need to change the clutchbell. its metal but its quite thin and I'm worried if i got aluminuim shoes it would eat through the clutchbell?
advice?