Complete and Utter Newbie Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.amazon.com/HPI-Racing-86...256951&sr=1-1&keywords=hpi+racing+savage+x+ss

link to the kit I'm looking at from amazon (which is now discontinued - I've noticed the distinct lack of self build monster trucks available on the market). I'm really sold on this particular model but very keen not to buy RTR. appreciate that an RTR can still be torn down and rebuilt but I'd like to go through the process myself with a kit to gain some basic understanding of the workings.

Not clear to me exactly what I need to purchase in addition to the kit but not worried if I do pick those bits up at a later date.

http://www.amazon.com/HPI-Racing-861-Savage-SS/dp/B000FS5UKM/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1410256951&sr=1-1&keywords=hpi racing savage x ss

link to the kit I'm looking at from amazon (which is now discontinued - I've noticed the distinct lack of self build monster trucks available on the market). I'm really sold on this particular model but very keen not to buy RTR. appreciate that an RTR can still be torn down and rebuilt but I'd like to go through the process myself with a kit to gain some basic understanding of the workings.

Not clear to me exactly what I need to purchase in addition to the kit but not worried if I do pick those bits up at a later date.

That kit is not discontinued Paul. The 876 version that didnt come with an engine is discontinued but the 871 is still good. The stuff I can think of that you will need for sure is a Radio (TX/RX), 2 servos (1 throttle and 1 steering), glow plug ignitor, couple extra glow plugs, Paint for painting the body (make sure is specifically for painting lexan bodies as anything else will just flake off after a short time), Either 20%, 25% or 30% nitro fuel, and you'll probably want to pick up a good quality set of Allen drivers (I recommend Team EDS wrenchs). I can't remember if this kit uses standard or metric right off the top of my head but I believe its metric.

(For steering servo I personally prefer 400+ oz-in in an 1/8 MT with a single steering servo but anything 300+ oz-in is ok)

Can anyone think of anything else he will need right from the start?

Hmmm apparently Team EDS is using Ebay as there store front now but dont be fooled these wrenches are of the hgihest quality around without the premium price you would find on something like Hudy brand tools.

Last edited:
Thanks for that @Greywolf74 had no idea that the kit contents could vary! Still not quite ready to make a decision but leaning towards a self build savage X so this is all useful info!!

a suggestion for a radio to get started would be a Flysky GT3B. Its a budget radio but for $40 US its a good starter. You may need to see if you can find a source thats closer to home but I provided a link just so you could see it. The Receivers are really inexpensive too but it comes with the first one. There are also a whole bunch of mods you can do to it to make it nicer too. Theres a mod to convert it to lipo, a mod to replace the steering wheel bushing with a bearing, and if you really wanna go nuts you can even get mods to hack the firmware. I use a Futaba 4PL on some of my higher end kits but i still use my GT3B for a lot of my kits just because its got 10 model memory and the receivers are cheap. :)

*EDIT*
In the post above I meant to say that Team EDS has top notch quality equal to premium brands like Hudy WITHOUT the premium price. :)

Last edited:
thanks for the additional info! I've decided to source any savage x ss kit, assess what additional parts i'll need based on the kit purchased and then source additional parts whilst performing the build itself. will let you guys know how I get on and will use the savage forum for advice when my build goes tits up!!

thanks for the additional info! I've decided to source any savage x ss kit, assess what additional parts i'll need based on the kit purchased and then source additional parts whilst performing the build itself. will let you guys know how I get on and will use the savage forum for advice when my build goes tits up!!
Awesome! start a build thread once you get started and update it regularly! :)

if i could go back when i first bought my revo, and this may be different then you, when you buy the kit i would also buy a good amount of extra spur gears pipe couplers, glow plugs and a engine mount. nothing like just getting your kit and then having to wait a week for new spur gears to come in the mail after only having it out for a few hrs. and good luck with the savage, ill look for and follow your build as this was almost the exact same path i almost took.

I would definitely get extra glow plugs and an a couple extra spurs. The other stuff is much more situational.

Back