Climbing Mount Doom

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
Went out to play today, it was 42°F was wearing shorts and t-shirt but after about an hour my fingers said it was time to go.

Mount Doom is a large dirt pile that is leftover from construction near a local church, it's been there for more than a year now and is a challenge to make it to the top. It has a thin crust with loose powder underneath. It doesn't take much the break the crust. I was hoping last weeks rain would pack it down a little but no joy.

First up was my 1/10 scale Element Ecto, in hind sight I probably should have run my 1/18 rigs first before the crust got chewed up by the Ecto.

The Ecto was throwing up some impressive roosters but couldn't get a pic and drive at the same time.
PSX_20221218_154757.jpg

Another shot for scale
PSX_20221218_155058.jpg

I ran a couple of 1/18 rigs but only got pics of the Traxxas Trx-4m
PSX_20221218_155605.jpg

And again for scale
PSX_20221218_155218.jpg

Nice pics.
Any TRAXX project for the TRX-4?
Love paint scheme.
PL

Mount Doom is a large dirt pile that is leftover from construction near a local church, it's been there for more than a year now and is a challenge to make it to the top. It has a thin crust with loose powder underneath. It doesn't take much the break the crust. I was hoping last weeks rain would pack it down a little but no joy.
The dirt pile we had here was exactly the same way. Once you broke through the thin crust, the trucks just sank into loose sand. All the rain ever did was wash away any clay that held it together. So it was always like that.

Glad to hear you were able to get some dirt time. That Ecto just looks great!

I should be getting my TRX4M white Bronco this Wednesday 😀

Went out to play today, it was 42°F was wearing shorts and t-shirt but after about an hour my fingers said it was time to go.

First up was my 1/10 scale Element Ecto, in hind sight I probably should have run my 1/18 rigs first before the crust got chewed up by the Ecto.

The Ecto was throwing up some impressive roosters but couldn't get a pic and drive at the same time.
View attachment 157016

Another shot for scale
View attachment 157017

I ran a couple of 1/18 rigs but only got pics of the Traxxas Trx-4m
View attachment 157018

And again for scale
View attachment 157019
47? So, it was a heatwave? For comparison, it was 28 here at 2PM, and, the highest this entire week will see is 37, and a predicted high of 20 on Christmas. At least it hasnt hit the negatives yet. That will be next week. For the curious ones, running an RC when its that cold usually results in some interesting carnage. For example, i had two Traxxas Talon MT's crack and partially separate from the wheel this round.

47? So, it was a heatwave? For comparison, it was 28 here at 2PM, and, the highest this entire week will see is 37, and a predicted high of 20 on Christmas. At least it hasnt hit the negatives yet. That will be next week. For the curious ones, running an RC when its that cold usually results in some interesting carnage. For example, i had two Traxxas Talon MT's crack and partially separate from the wheel this round.
Fortunately we don't get extreme cold, but summer is brutal.

Glad to hear you were able to get some dirt time. That Ecto just looks great!

I should be getting my TRX4M white Bronco this Wednesday 😀
I want to get a white bronco too, no not to recreate the OJ Simpson low speed chase, 🤣 it's what I wanted first but my LHS didn't have any when I bought the Defender.

The dirt pile we had here was exactly the same way. Once you broke through the thin crust, the trucks just sank into loose sand. All the rain ever did was wash away any clay that held it together. So it was always like that.
Sometimes it feels like I'm trying to climb a sand dune in the Sahara. :oops:
Looks like you had a fun day and glad you got out for awhile.
It was great to get out, I really needed it. :)

Fortunately we don't get extreme cold, but summer is brutal.
Oh, i know. Born in SoCal, wandered all over Cali, Washington, Texas, Utah, and Nevada, then got sent to upstate N.Y. when i was 15. I've lived pretty much everywhere along the west coast from San Diego to Seattle at one point or another (my parents were gypsy's who hated to sit still until they got older).

Back