Cleaning/Polishing an engine...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok I'm about to drop in a Hyper 8 port engine in my Savage and will now have the stock engine just laying around. It hasnt even seen a full gallon of fuel through it yet so I assume (and hope) that the stock is just fine, but its pretty dirty.

What can I do to make it really sparkle? Any certain dermel bits, cleaning solution, and so on I need?

Thanks,

-WoodiE

Dentured alcohol or nitro wash and an old toothbrush or something similar should bring it back to the way it looked when you first got it. However, you should port it or have it ported and then you will have a much nicer backup engine for the Savage.

Denatured and a toothbrush work just fine. Shouldnt need anything else.

yep denatured alc is the best for nitro gunk....its liek $10 a gallon at home depot.....you can even put some in a spray bottle (plastic is fine) and use that to wash off the goo after you break it up with the toothbrush.
some one needs to come up with another spray that you put on parts that repels nitro. like that stuff they spray to prevent graffiti. the graffiti stuff is wax based i know that much.
but the damn nitro attracts and hold dirt like a mofo

Denatured and a toothbrush is best. If you want to polish the case. Mothers metal polish will make that thing shine. It will take time though, but I think that is the best if you want to make that mill shine brighter than Ol' Dirty Bastards teeth.:bling: :bling:

I bought some Dentured alcohol and boy did that engine clean up...i dont even think it looked that good new.

Now I'm debating to either to paint the block or not :dumb:

-WoodiE

wouldnt that hurt cooling?

i think the spray for graffiti would be awesome ill try and find a link to it. i saw it on the science channel and it worked awesome ....even on stucco ....i know it was wax based so i dont know if that would hinder cooling aswell

What about that engine I'm going to get from WoodiE. That has a blue block. It might be powder coated though.

I believe painting the block will have just the same effect as painting the block on a full size car. Heat may be a little issue, but the vast majority of heat will come off on the head.

-WoodiE

I saw a Crankcase (red,blue,and purple) from some brand on e-bay. For i believe that .21BB engine for the Savage21. Sorry can't find it right now though. The paint is powder-coated tho.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I really dont think that paint would hurt it at all... cooling or otherwise, paint, unless you really lay it on thick... will not hurt heat dissipation.

You should port and polish it. It helps everything.

:D