cleaning methods

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy45

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi, i was just wondering how you guys clean your rc cars and what are the best ways? other than using compressed air

Last edited:
Compressed air, a small brush, and a small pick or screwdriver for the caked on dirt.

Here is my method....

1. Strip off engine and electronics
2. Remove Tires
3. Douse completely with 50/50 solution of Simple Green and water
4. Let sit for 5-10 minutes
5. Blow off with air compressor
6. Repeat steps 3-5 as needed until most of the dirt and grime is gone
7. Get the rest with a rag/brush
8. Let dry while I clean my tires

You can also use a garden hose instead of air compressor for Step 5 BUT if you do you will need to spray WD-40 all over the car once it;s clean to prevent any rust or corrosion. I typically cover everything in a nice thick spray (avoiding brake discs of course) and let it soak for 5 minutes or so and then blow off the excess with my air compressor. You can also wipe off the excess as well if you do not have a compressor.

Once everything is clean and dry I'll spray a tiny shot of lithium grease into my CVDs and then clean up the engine/radio tray/Body manually before re-assembly.

Everyone has their own methods...this works for me ;-)

spray (dont be shy with it this is a case where the more the better) and lt soak with "mean green" or "grease lighting" stand it up as if it was to do a wheelie (so it will all drain down and away from the servos.
Take the graden hose and get one where you can change the setting from Shower,jet,flat,mist,cone set the garden hose on the "flat "setting "start from the top and go down this ways its not so much water.
I try to stay away from compressed air its quick however your blowing dirt into the small space i.e. bearings

Be careful if using greased lightning around aluminum because it will de-anodize and pit.

i just started trying simple green and compressed air. seems to work good. I use turtle wax tire cleaner foam for my tires and wheels. Didi the job nicely.

methanol works fair, not great. but clean enough to use. and its cheep, here in wichita ks its $2.75 a gal from a speed shop. if methanol burns in daylight you can't see the flame, but water will put out the fire. also dont let large amounts get on your skin, it will mess up nervous system. but small amounts wont.

Last edited:
Here is my method....

1. Strip off engine and electronics
2. Remove Tires
3. Douse completely with 50/50 solution of Simple Green and water
4. Let sit for 5-10 minutes
5. Blow off with air compressor
6. Repeat steps 3-5 as needed until most of the dirt and grime is gone
7. Get the rest with a rag/brush
8. Let dry while I clean my tires

You can also use a garden hose instead of air compressor for Step 5 BUT if you do you will need to spray WD-40 all over the car once it;s clean to prevent any rust or corrosion. I typically cover everything in a nice thick spray (avoiding brake discs of course) and let it soak for 5 minutes or so and then blow off the excess with my air compressor. You can also wipe off the excess as well if you do not have a compressor.

Once everything is clean and dry I'll spray a tiny shot of lithium grease into my CVDs and then clean up the engine/radio tray/Body manually before re-assembly.

Everyone has their own methods...this works for me ;-)

Okay I'm about to get my hands dirty with my first deep clean in over a year since all I ever did was crawl and I never got real dirty or muddy at all. Can I waterproof the esc, RX without pulling them off the chassis? Do I need to WP my motor too? If I can get her WPd I'm just going to spray Losi off and watch her drip dry, ooooo yeah :naughty:

i run my trucks through sand and mud all the time so when I'm done I just pull the body and take the waterhose to it but all mine are waterproof

I just want to spray her off just need to know the best WP method, bag over electronics?

When you get ready to do your wheels and tired. Be shure to tape over the breather holes on the inside of the rims, otherwise you could get water or such in there and end up with one heck of an imbalance. I use contact cleaner that is safe for plastics such as crc. Warm soap and water and a soft brush on my cover and tires and wheels.. there's no one way to clean them, just preferred methods. Lots of good ideas tho. Might try simple green myself. Cheaper than contact cleaner.

Best WP method.....remove any electronics first ;-)

Back