Cleaning a traxxas waterproof rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So how do you guys clean them? I just put my esc and all connector wires in ziploc bags and ran the car under the tub sink in sections. Now I have upside down to dry out and I'm waiting to see if it still works. Hoe it does, it says waterproof so I don't see why not.

It should fine doing what did. Make sure to re-oil the bearings.

Should I re-oil all bearings? I noticed my wheel bearings are getting a little gritty before I cleaned. Should I get new ones our just clean and re-oil these ones I've only ran the car about 10 to 15 times mainly on the street? I was looking at that rpm bearing blaster.

Clean the wheel bearings really well and then re-lube all of the bearings. If there is a lot of slop in the bearings, then you should replace them.

Good luck oiling them, they are rubber sealed.....I'm not saying oil can't get in, but it would be harder for water to get in than oil. I don't know what car or truck you have, but pinion bearings usually go first on maxx trucks, for example. Whichever ones are spinning the fastest and are most likely to pick up water on the fly.
I use a garden hose to rinse and compressed air to dry.
Bearings are cheap, I check them from time-to time and replace as needed.

You shouldn't even need to put the esc in a plastic bag, I too rinse mine off under the garden hose w/o problems.

Yeah I wasn't entirely sure if should or not, better safe then sorry though. The outside tap is out of order right now, pipe frozen had to take it right out. It still works but I got a little bit of surface rust on some bolts I got take care of now, guess I should buy an air compressor to dry it properly.

Last edited:
Good luck oiling them, they are rubber sealed.....I'm not saying oil can't get in, but it would be harder for water to get in than oil. I don't know what car or truck you have, but pinion bearings usually go first on maxx trucks, for example. Whichever ones are spinning the fastest and are most likely to pick up water on the fly.
I use a garden hose to rinse and compressed air to dry.
Bearings are cheap, I check them from time-to time and replace as needed.

It's not hard to pull the seal off, just carefuly use a razor blade to pry it up. It is a good idea to have a few spare bearing but I always just clean and oil mine everytime I do a tear down.

Funny my friend just asked me how I clean my Nitro Rig because everytime we run together my Rig is always clean. I told him I use Nitro Cleaner / Nitro car truck wash & a rag & take off parts & air to clean my rig. My friend said he is thinking of running his slash under the kitchen sink to wash his Rig

a half and half mix of denatured alcohol and simple green cleaner will really loosen up the grim. If its water proof, spray on, hose off, then hit it with the air compressor to remove most of the water, and let dry.

You can put some WD-40 on there after its dry to make the plastic look new again.

So thats it? a lil bit of water and the dry it off and its all good? how often should i take it apart to clean it up? I take mine on dry roads and dry dirt too. (Stampede 2 weel drive. brushed motor.)

garden hose for me too, then give it a little shake run it for ten minutes, i should oil my bearings but since they need changing out anyway i leave them. but i do a light spray of some silicone over everything.

Last edited:
MY PROCESS = Spray with hose, air compressor to dry, spray front and rear a-arms and such with wd-40 then hit it again with some compressed air and your good to go! WD-40 will help dissapate and the left over water and help the bearings out a bit.

Back